Clarity Accessories

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by toomie, Jun 17, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bobby Beucher

Bobby Beucher New Member

Not slated to come to the US, ever. And still behind in production for Europe.

https://jalopnik.com/honda-shows-a-near-production-ready-version-of-its-fant-1832934529

"Very soon at the Geneva International Motor Show Honda will show the latest development of that concept, and they say it’s very close to production-ready." They were saying "very close to production" last year. I wouldn't hold my breath for this to show up here.

And it looks tiny, maybe a tad bit bigger than a Fiat 500e with its rear doors. The distance between the C pillar and the rear is 3/4 of the size of the front door. I don't see 4 adults fitting in this car. Well, maybe 4 very tiny Japanese adults.

There are other options - Kia Niro Electric (not out yet, but already in production, supposedly on the boat) 300 miles est. Hyundai Kona 260 miles. Small 4 door SUV type EV. I had wanted a Niro, just didn't want to wait. Plus the 2018 Clarity deal was a very good lease deal.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

Article on the e, in case you didn't see it.
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/27/18243026/honda-urban-ev-prototype-geneva-motor-show-2019

Sent from my SM-G955U using Inside EVs mobile app

4. Mike J

Mike J Member

Hey guys/gals,

Anyone able to find a good magnetic phone holder? I had this in my old car and worked perfect but can't find any spot to stick it onto in the Clarity.

5. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Mike J likes this.
  6. Mike J

Mike J Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

I just installed the ClarityScreen from Voltshop and I really like it. It may or may not solve all problems with rock damage (the driver's side to wheel well radiator vent is completely unprotected) but it looks nice and for the price was worth it. Steve, the owner, is also very helpful and has been collecting data on the damage reports for debris based cooling system damage (not covered by warranty, just fyi). I am not the original finder of this product, it is mentioned elsewhere on insideevs but I wanted to post here since it is an "accessory." It is very easy to install, makes no permanent changes to the vehicle, and looks like it will last a long time barring a big rock - but that is what it is supposed to be, sacrificial to protect the cooling system. Now, if you look inside the grill you will see that Honda has already placed a factory protective grid on the lower half of the radiator. However, based on reports on this forum and some others, that grid apparently did not go far enough to protect from road projectiles.

https://voltshelf.weebly.com/new-honda-clarityscreen-claritymat-and-clarityport.html

He is considering working on a solution to the left vent but does not have access to a Clarity for the detailed measurements (He is in Rochester, NY). Admittedly like the folks that developed and installed the trailer hitch for the Clarity, a solution for that opening would likely require a drill, so he isn't sure of the demand. However, I have the trailer hitch on my wish list and will eventually do it. I have a hitch mount bike rack that I really want to be able to use (don't need to tow anything and that is against the manual anyway... yeah, I know me mentioning manuals is nuts!).

https://torkliftcentral.com/honda-clarity

Cheers,
    Cash

Madmartigen likes this.
  9. I was a satisfied customer for his original VoltShelf in my 2013 Volt. It's been interesting watching as he grows his little business.

Madmartigen likes this.
  10. I received the hitch last week. It is well made. The plan is to install it next week. It will probably take more time to remove and reinstall all the plastic bits than to actually mount the hitch.

Cash Traylor likes this.
  11. I’m using a MagBak case on my personal iPhone X my work iPhone 6 and have the MagStrips stuck on the wings of the shifter.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

I am very interested in your thoughts on it when finished. Are you doing it yourself? I think Kentucky installed one and reported it went together well. I am curious how long it really takes as it is one of those, once your start - you're committed type installs. Good luck and let us know! I don't think I ever say a thread dedicated to an install of one of these. I volunteer you! Pics and notes for all! And a clock on the wall to show how long... no time lapse!

Cheers,

Cash

14. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

I never heard that Ken got his installed. I gave up on getting him to hand his over and ordered my own. Installation straightforward utilizing guidance here and the youtube that someone did. I would add that removal of the rear light housings should be accomplished with a helper. After removal of the nuts in the trunk, it is necessary to slide the housing rearward off an alignment pin up near the outer, forward pointed end. With one hand squeezing the tabs in the trunk and the other hand pulling the housing rearward (pulling against that forward pointed end), the housing will suddenly break free of the alignment pin and the second set of hands will need to be in place on the housing to prevent it from free-falling to the concrete floor.

Some pics from wiring if you choose to do that:
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/has-anyone-tried-towing-with-their-clarity.5528/page-3

15. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I stand guilty as charged and beg the court of Clarity for forgiveness. The hitch is still in the box in the garage. My back is bad, my son is getting married and my mechanic quit to go to Medical School and is no longer available. (And the dog ate my homework!) Don’t have a plan B yet. Sorry I let you down and was not the pioneer with pictures and tips I could have been. If I can see some pictures on how to get the trim and bumper off, I might get my yard boy to tack a crack at it with me. I would then be more than willing to post a detailed DIY with lots of pictures. Thanks for the pictures on the wiring. They are very helpful.

16. D7FF63C5-F3FC-4BFD-9088-60B8DA0F9032.jpeg Hitch installed. I followed the included instructions and had everything off in 30 minutes. The wear guard in the trunk took the most force to remove. The tabs on the tail lights were a bit of a challenge. I ended up wedging the top one in the unlatched position with a screwdriver while pushing the side tab with my thumb and pulling the fixture rearward.

Installing the hitch and trimming a ~4 1/2” x 4 1/2” square of plastic off the bottom of the bumper trim would have taken about another 30 minutes had I not chosen to remove the hitch and plastic bumper after a preliminary fit and make a modification. I enlarged the alignment hole on the bumper with a file. The way it lined up, the bumper would not have seated flush to the hitch, due to the alignment tab on the car. Not sure if that photo loaded. If not I’ll attach it to another post.

There is a wiring harness that needs to be removed from its original position. I rotated it about 45 degrees and squeezed the tabs with needle nose pliers and opted to re-secure it to the side of the original mounting position with a zip-tie.

It took another 30 minutes to put everything back together. Elapsed time was 3 hours, which included a trip to Home Depot (45 minutes), tool gathering, head scratching, a nature break and clean up.

Here’s a list of required and optional tools.
    Required:
    Flat screwdriver
    Phillips screwdriver
    5mm hex wrench for trim screws
    Ratchet wrench with 6” extension
    8mm socket for taillights
    14mm socket for factory bumper bolts
    19mm socket for new hitch bolts

Option buy probably necessary:
    File
    Tape measure
    Marker/Silver Sharpie/White grease pencil
    Square
    Hacksaw/Dremel
    Drill motor and drill bit, ~3/16”
    Zip-tie
    Wire cutters
    Needle nose pliers
    Utility knife
    2-3 furniture pads
    Flash light
    Telescoping magnetic retriever (only necessary if you happen to drop one of the tail light nuts, but I can’t imagine that would happen to anyone).

The photo of the bumper mod is the last attachment, didn’t load as full image.

D7FF63C5-F3FC-4BFD-9088-60B8DA0F9032.jpeg 2FBAC95C-2A73-4FB0-AB2F-5C6F47BC9F98.jpeg 4CE6E12D-3AC1-4EB5-AFF4-42F307138442.jpeg 08F07AE2-4914-4503-A6B8-0392DE07B590.jpeg

Attached Files:

17. LISkip

LISkip New Member

Has anyone located a sunshade for the infotainment screen? I had one for my Prius from EBay, but I can't find anything like it. The ones I've found are all for smaller stand-alone GPS's.

18. Enoxys

Enoxys New Member

Decided to purchase some rain deflectors for my Clarity. I imagine they have a negative affect on efficiency and wind resistance but they function as expected so no complaints here. Install was pretty simple, clean the door trim with alcohol, stick each side down, and peel off the adhesive covering tape while pressing down on the freshly exposed adhesive. No issues with them falling off. I noticed a little more wind noise than usual at first but I think I've gotten used to it. The utility and look beat the noise issue for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QM3D6BD/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_DNTBYY2P7RVFRW3ZHGEK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Snapchat-1658120095.jpg Snapchat-1877072403.jpg Snapchat-966213716.jpg