Turtle mode

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Alejo, Mar 2, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hi,

So yesterday I was going back home with little range, I was going to get home with around 10km.

I wasn't too concerned, but when turtle mode kicks in (less than 10% left) the energy sent to the drivetrain is limited to 5kW. Driving on a flat highway it was around 70kmh but when the car had to go up it was around 30kmh, I became a danger.

I didn't find any information about this turtle mode. The only information I found is that pulling high power when the battery is low can damage it.

Just a little reminder that even if we have enough range better stop and charge some minutes

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. What percentage did it cut in? Should be around 3%- 2 kWh remaining

4. It was at 9% I had around 20 km left

5. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Nice to know ... wasn't aware of this - in my attempts to get SOC low as possible before recharging.. I think I'll stick to around 15% in the future.

6. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

In my own run-down test to dead-zero, I got turtles at about 2% left, or
    that's where it was when I got the chance to take the pictures. That's
    a little over 1 kWh left, plus the seekrit reserve...

_H*

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

I got turtle mode too but it was definitely not at 2% left, it was more like 10% because I would never let the battery drain that low (much below 10%)r before recharging, to not damage it.

9. Makes me think turtle mode is initiated at a higher SOC when the pack temp is cooler.

10. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

It's very possible, it was winter when I got the turtle mode and it may have been quite cold out

11. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

Yes I agree back when I originally got it and pushed the limits, the low battery warning came on around 8-9%, but turtle mode and the turtle icon didn't appear/activate until 2-3%. I'm sure I wrote about that back in the day, if I can find it will add it here.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

I hope you turned on your flashers, I had it happen on the highway a while back and that saved me from being rear ended.

14. That's good information, turtle mode will work differently in winter vs summer.
    And yes my flashers were on, I was way way too slow. I was going from Boucherville to Montreal and the only way is by the highway.
    I'll take a 10 charging break next time to avoid this