2020 Kona Level 2 Max Charging Rate Not Increased ?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Ed Zwieback, Feb 25, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I saw several web articles back in 2019 saying "the most important change for the Kona EV (from 2019 to 2020 model) was the 11 kW Level 2 on-board charger". But looking at the info that came with my 2020 Kona Ev, it seems the 2020 still has the 7 kW OBC.
    The only place I found this info is in the H-pages part of the 2020 Owner Manual. The only number I could find: "Level 2 charging time takes 9 hrs 35 mins to 100%" works out to about charging at 7 kW power.

BTW, looking at the manuals that came with my 2020 Kona EV, some do not identify the model year: these are "Quick Reference Guide" and the "Car Infotainment System" . Maybe there are no model-year differences worth changing the manuals ?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. You can tell what OBC you have by pulling the plastic motor cover and checking the label. The original one says 35 amps, then new one 50 amps. Because North America uses the Type 1 charging connector it might be that you won’t get the (reportedly) 3-phase OBC since you can’t apply 3-ph via the Type 1.

4. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

The OBC capacity increase was just for Europe.. North America did not get that change.. We still get the 7.2 kw OBC

5. Thx for the good info.
    I did just check my OBC and it is clearly marked OBC 7.2 kW, and input current: 35Amax. My 2020 Kona has a mfg. date of Oct 2019.

6. Grego

Grego Member

Which cover do I remove again?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

The big pull-off plastic cover on top of the motor

9. Grego

Grego Member

Thanks I did mine is 2020 model and yeah 7.2 bummer

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs