Standalone OBD2 data display for Kona, E-Niro and Soul EV

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by mikeselectricstuff, Feb 9, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The HVAC system does react quite quickly which would indicate to me that indeed the temperature sensor is located within the duct somewhere.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. They must have an offset built in then as I keep my temp set to 23 C.

4. JF101

JF101 New Member

I have the evobd2 and what I like is having SOC while maps are on the screen. Plus battery temperature is really cool also. 12V monitoring and SOH also. Don't have to use Torque which is a plus. But I don't like the velcro tape with it. I got some nano gel double sided tape to change it's location easily: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07V2H62LH

Don't really use energy screen, do not see the point though.

5. Just a point of caution as it does look like these dongles keep themselves powered up all the time even if they meet low energy specs. I guess I am now a little nervous about leaving one plugged in all the time now ever since my incident when my battery went dead coupled with frozen mechanical lock requiring a tow and 2 day thaw at the dealer to just access the flat 12V battery. The dealer tech thought it may have been directly contributory. I don't know really but I do see that a dongle can draw anywhere from 0.1-1 watt per hour, so I could imagine given a few days parked especially in the cold even with battery saver on it could possibly drain your 12V battery or at least contribute to a chronic low voltage state that may ultimately cause early lead acid battery failure because of plate sulfation. I don't wan't to be a debbie downer rather just point out a possible concern.

6. JF101

JF101 New Member

@apu I had the same concern and I researched the power draw of the recommended dongles and I found a spec for the Juta one. They say that it draws less than 3 mA in sleep mode, which is very low and nothing to worry about. After ordering I sent an email to this obd2 company and they replied that they did testing and that in their cold weather in Montreal, they left the dongles plugged in for a couple of months without any battery drain. Now I took their word and left it installed after I got mine about 2 weeks ago. I left it plugged in and no problem up to now. Plus I can monitor the 12V and I see that it gets charged now and then by the car battery, so that,s pretty interesting indeed. Anyway will see in the long run, but up to now it looks ok.

I have a Kia Soul EV 2020 and what I find nice is to see the power that actually goes into the battery 55 kW with the unit while 59 kW goes into the car. You see there is loss from what gets into the car from the charger. I suppose, the losses of the onboard charger or HVAC power being used while charging... Also the car battery temp gets considerably hot at the time.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Yes, I agree the drain is generally very low with a dongle that actually meets bluetooth low energy specifications. I would be still cautious as its unclear if all these cheaply made dongles do that, even if they say they do as the quality control is not exactly the most reliable.

9. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Useful info presuming you mean watts and not "watts per hour".

My unit draws 2.7 ma when sleeping. Subject to correction by our electricity experts, by my reckoning that will drain the 12v battery after 30,000 hours or so.

This explains why most of them don't have power switches.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  10. SkookumPete

valdez.jpg

The bumpy surface doesn't lend itself to sticky pads. The evobd2 is now perched just to the left of the hazard switch.

The guy perilously standing on the dash is Juan Valdéz, at least that's what I call him. He's a paisa from the Antioquia region of Colombia, and shows us the bandeja, his typical lunch.

11. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

My first thought was "wha, that cowboy character on the ChargePoint screens??"

_H*

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SkookumPete

Here's Nigel's take:

14. SkookumPete

I noticed a bit in the EV Puzzle video where he had the device mounted in the phone bin, right above the Qi logo. It’s not in the line of sight, and the line from the lower USB port can't be connected in the neatest way, but it's a smooth surface, nicely angled, and you can easily press the buttons.

15. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

I'm into driver ergonomics, which is why HUDs rule, and Torque Pro's flexibility wins hands down.

Remember the following?
    "Keep your mind on your driving, and your hands on the wheel,
    keep your snoopy eyes on the road ahead"
    What were the singers doing, where, and who with? And when? And WHO sang it?

TP isn't for everyone, but EVOBD2's design makes it yet another distraction that takes both eyes and a hand away from the business in hand...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  16. Yep, realtime data looks good until you realise much of it is nearly useless. It needs to be logged to carry out accurate measurements and analysis.

17. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

What, no bites? Paul Evan's fans would have a turn in their wheelchairs..

18. SkookumPete

It’s no more useless than many of the Kona's own screens, like the one that shows how much accelerating has been done. I admire your deep interests but can't emulate them. I'm just in it for the shiny stuff. ;)

Now that I'm keeping a closer eye on power usage I see that my heat-pump equipped climate system is drawing around 1.2 kW when warming up in Auto in temperatures hovering a few degrees above the freezing point. Does anyone have a comparison with the resistive heater?

KiwiME likes this.
  19. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

I just got the EVOBD2 unit. Something I noticed is that the 12V battery current looks wrong, as if I turn on the lights or fan, teh current goes down ( this is with the HV system off). May be that the car is giving wierd data, or that data value represents something different.

20. Did a longer trip today. No sun. Added a volt/temp to 12 Volt outlet on the middle shelf.
    With heater temp set to 23 degrees C, evoobd2 showed 29C and after a bit of time so did the temp on the shelf.
    I guess the heat setting is a point of reference that actually works as the car certainly didn't feel like 29 degrees, no matter what the gauges said but it did feel comfortable.

21. SkookumPete

I'm surprised the 12v thermometer got up to 29 down there in the bin. I find it generally lags the cabin temperature by 5 degrees or so.

22. It may be because I run with outlets to feet. Heat only instead of Auto.

23. Got the updated EVOBD2 installed.
    It now has cell difference available.

IMG_5573.jpeg