Red light below charging port

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Alexey, Jan 22, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Alexey

Alexey New Member

Hello, does anyone know what red light below charging port mean? Like on the picture. No messages on the dashboard. Thank you in advance! IMG_3255.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Never seen that, just the red light on the bottom...very strange.
    Here is the page I found in the owners manual.
    Does not show that light status.
    Did it charge properly?
    H16.JPG

4. Alexey

Alexey New Member

Yes, it does charge, I even used original charging cord. I asked local Hyundai office, will see.

5. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Looks like an issue with the LED light.. Hyundai should replace it..

6. Illuminated red LED in this area usually implies EVSE or charger fault, not necessarily a fatal fault but a fault nonetheless.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. This is a defect within the charge port ... the third time I've seen it reported and has become known as the 'seasonal lighting effect'. The dealer should have no issue with repairing it.

9. Not necessarily it can just be fault from the power supply(EVSE) or your main electrical supply or ground issue. I was able to trigger the Christmas tree effect using the OEM granny cable and portable generator. The 2K Yamaha inverter generator overloaded on 12 amp charge request and lit up the red charge port LED. I was able to resolve it by changing the EVSE pass through to 10 amps.

10. Does the red light blink or stay solid?

11. I honestly can't remember, sorry.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. And a new one today:
    upload_2020-1-23_13-21-58.png

More:
    upload_2020-1-23_13-23-41.png

upload_2020-1-23_13-25-38.png

Attached Files:

14. Being colourblind I literally can't see the issue.

15. A portion of the ringed charging indicator is red instead of green while charging.

16. Thank you. I will never understand why red and green were/are chosen to represent so many things when 8% of men can't properly distinguish them. It's been especially bad since LEDs have gained so much traction.

cmwade77 likes this.
  17. Don't feel left out. The majority of Led lighting has a poor CRI (color rendering index) rating :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-CRI_LED_lighting
    Distinguishing the shades of color as compared to a natural light source is becoming more difficult with the introduction of Leds, and is not helping me as age progresses .:rolleyes:

18. I can’t seem to catch a break. I’m now getting the half green / half red status lights around the charge port when I use the granny cable. I’m going to try an L2 charger tomorrow to see if it happens there as well. Anyone else encounter this recently? Looks like I’m back at the dealer next week :-(

19. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

I think it's water ingress into the LED strip, as it tends to be the lower LEDs. Warranty repair.

Anaglypta likes this.
  20. Tried it on a L2 charger today. Same deal, so I believe that rules out a fault in the supply or my L1 cable. Will pay (yet another) visit to my dealer tomorrow.

Luckily, it still charges.

IMG_5814.jpg

21. I think this is the correct assessment. The docs show only three LED drivers and those are most likely RGB rather than by location on the ring.
    I applied some clear silicone RTV at the edges of the LED ring in the hope it might help prevent this issue.

upload_2020-7-27_9-19-56.png

Jamas and electriceddy like this.
  22. Thanks KiwiME for reminding me I have to do that as well as it is generally a wet environment here.
    I have one question for you, did you run a small bead between the white ring and where it contacts the actual charge port socket assy (I see a lot of dirt and crud there) or between the white ring and the outer edges where it contacts the part that holds the swinging door. Or did you do both? I can't actually see any seal on either side of that white ring, Maybe do your magic with a picture and an arrow pointing to the exact locations you ran a bead.

23. I cleaned around the LED with soapy water and iso alcohol and let dry. I then laid a small bead roughly around the ring at the edges with the black plastic, see the arrows. I then forced the RTV into the tiny gaps with my thumb. Lastly, wiped off all RTV left on the surface with a wet rag. I then also ran a bead at the back as you can see. It's not pretty and almost certainly not needed but I felt it couldn't hurt. That's the interface between the socket that's attached to the car and the front bumper which includes the LED, the door and latch. If the bumper was removed this RTV would tear apart.

88DFDFC6-FB20-45AF-B8E6-27D2751FABAE_1_105_c.jpeg

electriceddy likes this.