Porsche Taycan Turbo's EPA range of 201 miles is much lower than expected

Discussion in 'Porsche Taycan' started by interestedinEV, Dec 11, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/porsche-taycan-turbos-epa-range-204500393.html

OK, another promising car that has under delivered. In the US, range is the king and this is much lower than expected. I think a lot of the US demand will evaporate. I am surprised that other than Tesla, no one has understood that at least in the US, range is a key decision factor.

The Porsche Taycan Turbo already passed its biggest initial test. By our estimations, it drives and feels like a real Porsche and deserves the name and crest it wears (the Turbo part is a different story). But its second major test is serving as a properly usable everyday electric car, and its credibility in that regard just took a right hook from the EPA. After initial Porsche estimates pegged the Taycan Turbo's full-charge range at about 280 miles using the generous WLTP rating, the EPA gave it an official range of 201 miles. Uh oh.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SP01

SP01 New Member

Porsche will catch up, give it time. Even with the lower range its still a better option to me than the Model S.

4. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Curious as to your reasons you prefer the Taycan? Where does Taycan excel in your opinion?

5. Aeron Co

Aeron Co New Member

I believe that the Taycan is good to drive. Does being faster and having better driving dynamics result in poorer range? You still can’t have the best of both worlds just yet. This segment shall improve sooner or later. So, is the Taycan a good buy given that it has just somewhere over 200 miles on a single charge?

6. Recent RWD model achieves 280 miles @ 75 mph, 24% increase over EPA.
    Porsche recently added a rear-wheel-drive base model Taycan to the electric sedan's lineup, which also includes 4S, Turbo, and Turbo S variants. The base-model Taycan is EPA-estimated at up to 225 miles of range, but it's now the second electric vehicle to exceed the EPA's estimates in our real-world 75-mph highway test, achieving an impressive 280 miles and 97 MPGe.
    This result makes the base Taycan the EV that broke its EPA-estimated range by the highest margin in our testing, at an additional 55 miles or 24 percent.
    Source:
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37607755/2021-porsche-taycan-range-tested/

Pretty nice for a snazzy sports type EV:)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rajbcpa

Rajbcpa New Member

in 2021 my range started at 220 miles. After 7k miles, it will go to 258! It grew AFTER I ran the battery to ZERO 4 times.

electriceddy likes this.