new whining sound

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by victor_2019, Dec 19, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

So my 2019 kona has started to make some funny whine sound.
    it's winter in montreal and it's been quite cold lately, not sure if that's related.

The sound is like a metallic rubbing sound, it's a high pitched whine, as if the brake pads are rubbing or something like that.

So far it happens at low speeds as far as I can tell, around 50 km/h or less. It's not constant, it comes and goes, and also doesn't seem to depend on speed (frequency/pitch doesn't change in time or vary with speed - however this may be misleading since I mostly hear it around 50 km/h driving on city streets, when I'm not varying speed that much).

It's happening at constant speed, it's not related to acceleration or regeneration (it's not the hissing sound everyone else is complaining about)

Does anyone else have any similar issue?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

Does it happen only while you apply the brakes?

4. victor_2019

I don't think so. I will drive it again tomorrow and pay more attention to it, but I don't believe I was pressing the brake but driving at steady speed.

I don't normally press the brake pedal, I use regen level 3 most of the time.

Edit: girlfriend says she tried to see if braking or accelerating changed anything and no, she said it was happening when she wasn't braking or accelerating, same as I remember. Going steady speed, random metallic whining sound that goes in and out.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  5. victor_2019

6. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

Sounds like something needs grease?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. victor_2019

I reproduced it again this morning.

it actually does depend on speed, I can very faintly hear it below 50 km per hour. it gets louder around 48-49 km per hour, and it is constant if the speed is kept at 50 km/h. it will disappear above 52-53 km per hour.

it does sound like something is rubbing somewhere.

and to the comment that something needs grease, it's quite possible, the problem is that I bought this car new in may 2019 so 7 months ago, and I have only 10000 km on it. the hyundai service schedule does not call for anything to be done before 1 year, so if something needs greasing to this point already, there's something wrong.

I'll take it to the dealer.

I also think this might be related to another problem I've posted about where all dash lights suddenly came on showing lots of problems.

9. The parking brake actuators are easily accessible with rear wheels removed. They do seem to be somewhat externally protected by the rims but who knows how they are faring at very low temperatures and certainly internally greased components can get sluggish if they haven't used an appropriate grease type.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019