Has anyone else tried to put a spare tire under the hood?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by An Infomaniac, Nov 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. You sir are exceptionally fortunate or I am exceptionally cursed. I seem to average a nail or low/flat tire every 3-4 years or so. I find if the tread beyond its half depth it seems to pick up nails much more easily. It always been road debris that has buggered my tires. I had one blow out on a stationary trailer tire, that one was weird.

Andy Murray likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Hopefully you are NOT cursed. It may be that having been in the business I am just more selective on tires and more aware of possible issues. I tend to change tires more on the bases of age then on wear. I also tend to run ultra high performance tiers as I like the additional handling and braking power I get from them.

Murry and apu like this.
  4. Well I ordered a late model Hyundai Azera donut off of ebay. It has a 17 inch rim and my preliminary research seems to imply with the standard rubber its overall wheel diameter should be very close to the Kona electric 17 inch stock wheel diameter, of course lug spacing and center bore are the same. I will confirm once I get it in my hands in the next week or so. The Hyundai Genesis also has a 17 inch donut but I can't comment on its total wheel diameter.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. Look forward to the follow up report;)

6. Got my new 17 inch donut in the mail today.

I can now confirm the overall diameter is pretty much a match (26.6 inches for donut) to the stock 17 inch wheel (26.3 inches). That is 1.1% difference which is more than acceptable. Again in case anyone cares its a 17 inch spare wheel from a late model Hyundai Azera with 135/90/17 rubber.

[​IMG]

Andy Murray and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I know that it would be a pain to do, but my question is whether you can put this on and not have it rub. Both front and back, since there seem to be some slight differences.

9. The most narrow portion on the 17 inch aluminum wheel is 15 6/16 inches at the hub and its the same for the 17 inch donut, even without the benefit of actually mounting the wheel I am 99.999% certain it won't rub. The main rubbing issue is using 16 inch wheels that will often not clear the rear calipers, they typically are fine up front.

10. What is your opinion on using the donut as a front drive wheel replacement, or should these be used on the back only? ( in an emergency of course)

11. Can't tell by looking at it. The wheel offset determines whether there could be rubbing on the calipers or not. Do the test mounting to confirm. Need a couple cms clearance.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Francois

Francois Active Member

I thought I was cursed last year as within the months of November and December last year, I ended up with a nail in one of my wheels on 3 occasions. Thankfully it didn't happen to me even once in 2019. :)

But those bad experiences have left enough of a scar so that I now feel the compulsion to have tpms on all my sets of wheels so that I will never again be caught off guard while on the highway. With the tpms, I will know that a wheel is deflating early enough to exit the highway and either make it to a garage or at least to a road where towings will charge me 3 time less than if they pick me up on the highway. ;)

14. I always carry a plug repair kit in all my vehicles. I don't think I have ever made it through a worn out tire change without getting a screw or nail (and usually several) in a car, that needed to be pulled an plugged. And all my plugs always held. Very simple and quick fix.

KiwiME likes this.
  15. Yes you are correct but ultimately the offset dictates the narrowest inner wheel diameter available for clearance to items like brake caliper/discs. My 17 inch Hyundai aluminum wheel with an offset of +42 mm shares a similar inner wheel diameter with the donut so one can assume a similar offset which is not surprising as individual manufacturer's tend keep their wheel offset within a narrow band of interchangeability.
    The Stock Kona electric 17 inch wheel has an offset of +50 mm, so in theory the + 42 mm offset wheel may have slightly more clearance. Again I am fairly certain this 17 inch donut will clear the back wheels without rubbing but I am happy to report back when I get the first opportunity to mount it on a Kona.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  16. I think as long as you appreciate the potential for reduced braking, speed limitations, and maneuverability for the short distances until you can get your full size tire sorted you should be fine. The stock Kona wheel has a width of 8.5 inches, the donut is 5.3 inches or about 62% of the contact patch of the full size wheel, which is a compromise but its really not all that bad.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  17. Is this the wheel you bought?

http://tinyurl.com/v7dclfj

18. No, it was the new model Azera https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2018-2019-2020-HYUNDAI-AZERA-COMPACT-SPARE-TIRE-17-INCH/323942069197?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Looks like the vendor has increased his price, the older cheaper model in your link might work, rim size is fine just not sure what tire size it has. Your looking for 135/80/17 to 135/90/17 rubber for the correct wheel diameter.

addendum: ran the wheel calculators looks like older model Azera donut should work,

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    MagicSmoke likes this.
  19. I would go with yours :)
    Have you satisfied yourself that it will indeed fit/work front and rear?
    Gets a bit more pricey by the time I add exchange, duties, etc. but if it does the job it'll be worth it to me.

20. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

I love this idea for a spare tire in the Kona. Does the OP or anybody else have any further followup on how this is working out? Problems or modifications?

21. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

I had a leftover tire of the appropriate size. They're easy to find. I had it mounted on a steel wheel ($50) and leave it in the garage along with a small jack and lug wrench. If I get a flat near home then it's two Uber trips and a quick fix.

22. I can confirm the wheel fits and clears the rear calipers without rubbing. If it fits the rears it will fit the fronts as the hardware is less obtrusive without the ebrake mechanicals. Got rid of the foam carrier with, compressor/ fix a flat kit, now have the compact spare, jack, tire iron, gloves and some duct tape(always handy).

[​IMG]

Andy Murray and electriceddy like this.