TPMS not sync'ing. Is there an OBD2 solution?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by robxb, Nov 11, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. robxb

robxb Active Member

Hi folks, has anyone had issues getting their winter TPMS to sync? They're supposed to do so automatically, but mine have not. I purchased the same tires, rims, and TPMS as another friendly Kona driver, from pmctire.com, and his worked just fine.

Anyone know if I can get them working with a cheap OBD2 bluetooth device? If so, what is the process, and are any apps needed (does Torque free or Pro have an option?)

When contacting their customer support, they told me "...every vehicle, even if the brand, the year, the model, the trim, the colour, if everything is the same, is different when comes the time to synchronize sensors. It’s possible that your friend's vehicle, along with some other owners for the forums, had models recognizing the sensors all by themselves, and that some other vehicles like yours and possibly some other ones, do not synchronize all alone and that the re-synchronization is required."

As an example, he went on to say that they "sold over 200 sets of wheels, tires and sensors for Tesla Model 3’s. Roughly 10-15% of them couldn’t recognize the sensors by themselves", and that certain vins ending in a certain letter would not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

[​IMG]

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I think you're going to have to visit a dealer or tire shop mechanic with the appropriate tpms scan tool to reflash your tpms sensor ids into the body control module via the obd port. They can also verify if the sensors are still working. I don't think there is an app for that.

Wildeyed likes this.
  4. My dealer had to buy a scanner to sync my sensors on my winter tires last month. And this was AFTER the same sensors synced without the scanner last winter! Flip of a coin.

5. BC-Doc

BC-Doc Member

I just installed new winter tires with after market rims. The TPMS I used were a non-OEM brand purchased from my local Hyundai dealer. When the tires were put on my car, the TPMS weren’t picked up by my Kona resulting in a dash light warning. Kal Tire’s tool read the TPMS as dead sensors (they weren’t)— I’ve attached a photo. I subsequently brought my car to my local Hyundai dealer who explained that the sensors (via an ID number) need to be entered into the car/paired as a one time thing. They were kind enough to do this for free. TPMS is now working. When I switch out my wheels seasonally now, I’m told both summer and winter sets will automatically be recognized.

360A658D-3CBF-4278-A740-273275A96512.jpeg

electriceddy likes this.
  6. Yeah some of the TPMS scanners are sensor specific. I use a pretty decent Autel tool, reads other sensors and can do diagnostics on them but it can only reprogram autel mx tpms sensors. The sensors themselves are pretty decent, cheap(around $35) and can come with dual frequency capabilities.

[​IMG]

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.