Best PHEV in America: Alex on Autos

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Lowell_Greenberg, Sep 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. vvk

vvk New Member

Thank you, I appreciate your input!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

I have never had a car this big before and all I can think about is the old ad "This is not your father's Oldsmobile"; the Clarity is your father's Oldsmobile and I like it. I find it very relaxing and comfortable to drive, but I am not a "driver", but as I have often said, a passenger who happens to ride in the driver's seat.

I find it very luxurious. I am at about 9800 miles and just over 1 year old and the only service I have had to have done so far are summer/winter tire changes and one oil change last month.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  4. Early on, I found the ride of the Clarity a bit “floaty” for my tastes, at least compared to our Ford Flex. What I mean is, if I could I’d bump up both compression and rebound damping a notch or so to make it feel more “planted”. I drove a friend’s Model 3 on a twisty 14-mile loop and preferred it’s tauter ride.

That said, I’ve gotten used to the Clarity’s ride, and it’s very comfortable. Hustling through the twisties here in N GA/E TN it never wallows excessively, body lean is quite controlled, and the stock tires at stock tire pressures never complain. I drive in SPORT mode with 4 chevrons of regen which emulates moderate downshifting in a stick shift. I do wish there were maybe two more chevrons of regen available, but like the handling, I think the existing setup was a decent compromise by Honda.

5. vvk

vvk New Member

Thank you! This is exactly the kind of info I am trying to get.

6. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

I did a couple of "EV Guest Drive" events last year. The Tesla Model 3 (there were several available) was one of the more popular cars. A fairly significant percentage of those that drove the Clarity (mine is the Electric version) commented on how much more comfortable it was. Most often this was initiated from the back seat (the owners rides in the passenger seat) when there was more than one on the test drive, but frequently from the driver as well. I gave 44 test drives between the 2 events, and heard the comment from probably 25% of those. I have no idea how many driving my car had previously driven a Tesla at the event (the Model S and X were also represented), but they only get to select two vehicles to test, so half?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

Since the Tesla/Clarity owner hasn't responded yet, I will chime in here with my impressions of Clarity PHEV ride and handling. I believe the ride is very comfortable and while it is not floaty like an old American sedan, it is softer than typical European car. I don't think anyone will have problem with the ride. The handling has good and bad characteristics. The good is steering. The bad is tires and somehow body roll. Brakes are kind of in the middle. The steering is better than my previous car (VW Golf Sportwagen w/ 16 inch tires) and same level as the one before that (BMW E84 with servotronic). It has decent weight and feel. The best steering that I have had was BMW E90 sport package with active steering, but those days of hydraulic assist are gone now. Overall I think Honda did a very good job with the steering for a non sporty family car. The low rolling resistance tires are barely adequate for aggressive driving for this heavy car. They start squeaking as soon as you push the car. You can upgrade to a more sporty tire, but probably will lose range. Incidentally the tires are the same size as Tesla Model 3 base tires, so there could be some good LRR options for upgrading, because Tesla is a much higher volume car. The suspension setup is good for sweepers and typical US road, but multiple direction changes and tight radius curves result in too much body roll, it could be that the anti roll bars are a bit undersized. Overall I recommend the car as a family sedan and commuter car, not as a sport sedan. Also the interior of Clarity feels like a midsize sedan, while Model 3 feels like a big compact sedan, e.g. BMW 3 series size. Any comparison with Tesla should consider that Tesla is a much more expensive car. You can buy a Clarity for around $20k after Federal tax credit, while Tesla is around $38k.

9. Thinking about it, what I call “floaty”, another might call “compliant”.

I’ve always leaned to the “sporty” side, so I’m naturally attracted by a firm suspension. But I’ll stipulate others have different priorities, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with the Clarity’s handling as delivered.

10. Please explain how a $7500 tax credit brings the Clarity down to $20k.

11. Base model $34K. Subtract $4K Honda incentive, $7.5K Federal credit, State/utility rebates from $2.5K-$5K and additional dealer discounts on unsold 2019 models... Shazam! Down to $20K.

Make sense?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. You only mentioned the federal tax credit.

In Michigan, that's all I have to work with.

14. Actually, I mentioned multiple incentives.

Agzand mentioned only the fed credit.

You’d be hard pressed to find one outside of California. Someone posted a link to a 2019 Touring model at a Ca dealer for $27K. Subtract the $7.5K and we’re back to $20K again.

Much less than a Tesla and you don’t have to look for a charger every 200 miles.

15. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

You can buy the base 2019 model around $27k-$28k give or take. I have seen lower prices as mentioned above. It is crazy how cheap you can buy this car.

16. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Great deal, too bad its only available in Calif.

17. ...but not from out of state if that includes Honda incentives, right?

18. To get an answer, you would need to contact a dealer to see how willing they are to work with you on the price.

19. vvk

vvk New Member

It is my understanding that dealers can order Clarity in any state. The question is what kind of discount would one get when doing a custom order like that. I suspect that the price would be a lot closer to MSRP... Does anyone outside of California have experience with custom ordering and getting discounts? Thanks!

20. Since they only let the California allocation/custom order scenario leak in a magazine interview I don't think there's been an opportunity to even try a custom order since 2019 production was done by then.

There's no official information on the model year 2020 out there yet, so I'd be surprised if a dealer would even pretend to order one at this point.

21. vvk

vvk New Member

Wow... I guess better for existing owners. Props up resale.

22. You could always try a “fly and drive” strategy. I don’t recall the Ca dealer that had a 2019 Touring listed for $27K. If they would honor that price to an out of state buyer your looking at a $20K car after the fed credit, plus travel expenses.

Honda of Pasadena, for example, shows 19 Clarities in stock.

23. 2,274 miles, 33 hours of driving for me.

No, I'd arrange to have it shipped.