Center console "wings"

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by jorgie393, Nov 6, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hoon

Hoon Member

Be careful of those sticky pads. After a while, they start leeching out silicone type grease and in some cases, it starts melting the plastic. I had one of these left over pads so had it under a sound bar under a TV. After couple months, it was one with the plastic. It was just horrible to deal with that. I'm never going to use these sticky pads unless they really feel dry to the touch, like the rubbery ones.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Hoon

Hoon Member

4. Teslawannabe

Teslawannabe Active Member

I had high hopes for the Pro Clip....
    Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

5. I keep wondering if I could cut a hole in them and put small containers in for change, etc since Honda doesn't think we keep anything like change in our cars.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. TomL

TomL Active Member

I am one of those taller, bigger people whose right knee bumped against the wing, but after a short time I got used to it and it is not an annoyance or inconvenience in any way. My wife of average height had no inkling this should be a problem.

8. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

No change holder, but there is an odd little credit card holder inside the center console lid. It holds one credit card vertically.

Card holder.jpg

Laurent O'Brien and gedwin like this.
  9. Aerosmith145

Aerosmith145 New Member

6'1" here, and work in a prototyping shop with access to great tools. This was my way of dealing with the wings in April of 18.. along with a few other items ;)

20191107_084430.jpg 20191107_084513.jpg 20191107_084445.jpg 15731345838253096416133225942024.jpg 15731346211787174892988283302407.jpg

10. SteveinSD

SteveinSD New Member

Wow! That's some outstanding work!

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Absolutely amazing, incredible, and way too wonderful for words.
    More pictures of the knee-knocker wing removal, please!
    If you designed a decent cap (maybe even padded?)for the wing hack then...
    TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!!!
    Seriously, I’ve got to have this. Where are you located? I will rob how ever many banks it takes on the way to see you.

13. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

I've never dealt with glare on the center screen, but the binnacle screen is often unreadable... I found that one of my favorite driving positions, when using ACC, is to shove my right heel between the seat and the center console and lock my shin behind the wing. I am, admittedly, a bit too flexible for a man my age... ;)

14. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Funny I'm 6'3" and I find the wing to be a nice knee rest. But the door armrest is not padded enough and it makes my left elbow hurt. Except when I'm wearing a jacket like I often am in winter to avoid using any electric heat.

15. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

The wing bothers me. On long trips when the ACC is in use my leg rests against the wing. That small narrow strip around the edge digs into my knee. I wish Honda had done a completely different design for the shift buttons and wings. Personally I'd prefer a stick but an alternative would be the much smaller switch panel like the Honda Odyssey.

If I could buy a bolt on replacement for the wings I'd go for it.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  16. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Might be useful for one of the credit-card sized EVSE charging cards that might be used most frequently?

17. I've been putting my credit card behind the infotainment screen at the top. Slides in a half inch or so then stops. Great for drive-thru

18. your_chum

your_chum New Member

Hey everyone - just wanted to send some thanks for this thread! I accidentally hit my "ebrake" button out of it's holder and it dropped into the wing area. Went ahead and used this thread to find that the wing - "top" just pops off (although..broke a clip...or 5). but alls well that ends well.

And I do agree that the "hollowness" of the center piece definitely makes me wonder why the console bridge is even a thing.

TomL likes this.
  19. Paul Priest

Paul Priest New Member

I got rid of mine and used a piece of real wood for trim. MUCH better. I'm 6'3". SDC11910.JPG

Joshkirk likes this.
  20. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Whoohoo!!!
    The first “it’s never going back to stock now” mod I’ve seen posted. Well played, sir, well played. Im working up the courage to try this.

21. your_chum

your_chum New Member

my partner would never let me do this, but I'd be really interested in relocating all those buttons to another area and doing away with the wing altogether.

Insighter and jdonalds like this.
  22. TomL

TomL Active Member

Missus Clarity would not let me do this either.