Does lack of a volume knob bother you?

Discussion in 'Honda' started by PHEV Newbie, Mar 8, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ray L.

Ray L. New Member

I have a question. My Clarity steering wheel volume control works by pressing up/down ends to change the volume. My 2016 Civic can do that plus you can change the volume as you run your thumb along the ridges in between the raised ends.

How do your Clarity steering volume control work ?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. WantEV

WantEV Member

You have to click buttons in clarity. No sliding.

4. I want the radio to be off *NOW*. If I'm in a noisy car with conversations that I want to hear, it would be terribly rude to yell out "Car! Turn off the radio!" when other people are talking. There are many other cases, sirens and drive-thrus come to mind, that I want the radio off right now.

Yes, I'm anal.

jdonalds likes this.
  5. Yes, the Off Button works, but it's smallish and laggy so I sometimes end up poking it twice and turning the radio back on.

The other time that Off Button *doesn't* work is when you first turn on the car and the radio is blarring and you want to turn it off. There's definitely a delay before the button begins working.

jdonalds likes this.
  6. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

After 2 weeks driving in the Clarity PHEV, I have gotten used to using the steering wheel volume buttons.

Just like any other radical changes, it takes a little getting used to.

When I got into the Land Rover / Jaguar line, I found getting used to the rotary transmission shifter took about a month before I had to relearn my muscle memory from reaching for a vertical gear shift handle.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Just yesterday, after driving the Clarity for eight months, I turned the wipers on high in my garage instead of switching to drive. So far I haven't yet slapped the cupholder in my CR-V instead of using the stalk.

Randy Stegbauer likes this.
  9. Olimpia

Olimpia Member

I actually prefer NOT having a volume knob. One of the my favorite features of the Clarity is the interior look and how modern and minimal it looks. Having a volume know would break that symmetry and simple look. I find using the volume controls on the steering wheel much better and safer.

10. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Yes, agreed!
    I sort of wish the climate temp knob would also go away in favor of using the large infotainment screen soft buttons....

11. occphv

occphv New Member

That doesn't bother me at all, in fact, I like how clean it looks without any knobs/buttons/etc.
    The volume control buttons on the wheel are quite good and I don't need to turn the volume all the way up/down since most of the time it stays around 6 to 12.

Texas22Step likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JD's EV

JD's EV New Member

I could live with the lack of volume knob but like others have mentioned, the play/pause is very annoying.
    The enter button on the left steering wheel control could easily be the play/pause

Also, the infotainment system is too slow. A better processor and updated touch capabilities would make things WAY smoother.
    It won't detect my touch or will switch too slowly between the lane watch and navigation.

I need the Honda sensing just to keep me from crashing while I adjust things on the screen! Lol

Randy Stegbauer and Teslawannabe like this.
  14. Teslawannabe

Teslawannabe Active Member

So true, Tesla gets a pass. I like the clean look on mine not having one. My phone doesn't have one, my ipad, Surface Pro 5 and Galaxy tab don't have one either. I'm use to tablets looking that way.

15. Teslawannabe

Faster processor, YES! Ugh, have to buy next years model and maybe it will be the same.

16. NocEdit

NocEdit Member

Yeah, really need to use Carplay... it’s actually really fast cause it runs off the phone. I never use the actual interface just boot directly into CarPlay. And the great thing about CarPlay is it will only get faster and better every time I upgrade my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

17. Teslawannabe

However, having said that, what really bothers me is the click, click, click when using the steering wheel buttons to adjust volume and all the rest. Looks like the Accord steering wheel has normal buttons and the Clarity has the clicky buttons.

18. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

Same with adjusting ACC speed which I do all the time, don't know why it has to click. Oh and a quick nit on that, why does the set speed disappear while you are accelerating. I understand why they won't let you change the set speed while accelerating, but they could still show it. Instead I have to finish accelerating then let off the throttle to find out what my current set speed is.

Teslawannabe likes this.
  19. Teslawannabe

After checking out the 2020 Lincoln Aviator I have to adjust my statement regarding not wanting a volume knob. I would vote to have one, but not on the tablet/screen. As in the Lincoln Aviator the volume knob is lower in the center stack and not attached to the screen. Keeps the nice tablet look but gives the best of both.

20. Hoon

Hoon Member

Lack of knob does not bother me. What does bother me though is that whenever I connect my phone, it automatically starts whatever Music or Podcast that I wasn't even listening to. There is also a very noticeable delay to powering off the audio pressing the touch button. The infotainment system sucks.

21. zman

zman New Member

For the purposes of the passenger having ease of control, I would prefer to have the volume knob. Also it’s a real pain if the passenger wants to skip a track and you have the map on.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

22. Lowell_Greenberg

Lowell_Greenberg Active Member

Of the Clarity's minor annoyances- a volume knob is not one of them- I simply use the steering wheel controls.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk