Any tricks to clean the inside of the back window?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by robingo88, Jul 21, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. robingo88

robingo88 New Member

Hi... Been mostly a reader of this forum since getting my Clarity in November of last year (already north of 11k miles just on my daily commute.)

Its my first 'black' car (and possibly my last) and really needs a weekly cleaning, so I've taken to giving it a quick wash every Sunday night so I start the work week with at least one thing that's not annoying.;)

I've figured out how to get almost everything clean (or clean enough) except the inside rear window. No matter how much I contort my body and hand, there's no way for me to get down into the very end of the wedge at the bottom of the window, and there's already a build up of window crud that makes looking out the rear window awful as I drive home with the sun setting directly behind me.

I've tried folding various kinds of non-woven cloths and lint free rags and such, but invariably I leave grease from side of my hand in a war of attrition.

Anyone figure this out (other than renting a toddler with chamois mitts?)

Thanks!

Alex800st, Mowcowbell and Daniel M W like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

4. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I'm definitely ordering one of those. Thanks jdonalds!

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

Although I'm sure mine is dirty and needs attention, we've had the car since March and have never cleaned the inside rear window. How is yours getting so dirty it needs that much cleaning? Windows down a lot?

6. Mowcowbell

I have noticed some fogging on the inside of my windows... most likely from plastic outgassing in the intense summer heat. I don't smoke, don't have any pets, don't leave windows down while parked.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. robingo88

robingo88 New Member

I was going to joke its from all the beans I eat, but I think its a combination of outgassing and just the nature of human breathing (out).

It's not a huge issue on any of the other interior windows, but I'm guessing the lower edge/thin wedge at the base of the rear window was never really properly cleaned, so once every 11k miles or so doesn't seem too bad.

Many thanks for the recommendations. I've just ordered the extension wand triangle thing. Fingers crossed! (I got a lot more beans to eat.)

fotomoto likes this.
  9. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

The wand that @jdonalds recommended is really helpful. As far as cleaning agents go, you might try Hope's "Perfect Glass", which I really like to both clean glass, mirrors, etc. You can buy it in various container sizes on Amazon or other retail outlets. Highly rated.

2002 likes this.
  10. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

Haven't heard of Perfect Glass I'm going to give it a try. Doesn't seem to be available locally in Atlanta so I was going to order on Amazon, but then I found that Home Depot has it on their website for half the price as Amazon, free shipping for pickup at my local Home Depot store.

For my electronics - phone, TV screens etc as well as the car display I have been using Kirkland lens cleaner from Costco, you get it at their optical department, very inexpensive and believe it or not free in-store refills of the small spray containers that you get with it (you get two and a tiny pocket size one). Perfect Glass says it works on electronics also so I might try it for that also.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  11. Mowcowbell

Got mine yesterday and used it to clean the inside of the back window. Mine are tinted, so I just wet the microfiber pad with some tap water, then used another pad to dry it. The cleaning wand worked great for getting the very bottom edge that I could not reach before.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. annalim2008

annalim2008 New Member

To achieve a spotless windshield, you need to clean off bugs and tar with a bug remover, lift the wipers for a thorough cleaning, spray glass cleaner on the windshield and wipe it vertically and horizontally on one side first then the other side, buff the windshield afterwards, and wipe the wipers clean.

14. Valente

Valente Active Member

I clean my front and rear interior windows easily with one of those swifter mops - the kind you insert a swifter pad to mop floors. I insert a wet microfiber cloth and wipe the windows then insert a dry microfiber to dry the windows.