Map update: 16GB USB drive or larger?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ddddcsd, May 12, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ddddcsd

ddddcsd New Member

Hi,

Has anyone updated the (US) maps in their Clarity? If so, what size USB drive did you use, 16GB or larger? The Garmin web site says use a 16GB drive, but also says you need at least 16GB of free space on the drive. Generally a 16GB drive has about 14.5GB free, so there is a contradiction. Since I need to buy a drive for the update, I’d like to know from your experience what size works.
    Thanks.
    -Dean

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

@ddddcsd , you need a 16GB usb. Larger one won't work and 8 GB is too small. Garmin is very picky.

insightman likes this.
  4. ddddcsd

ddddcsd New Member

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I successfully used a 32 Gig I had lying around. So either larger size works or I got lucky.

6. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Not to hijack this thread, but this is navigation related... have any of you tried Waze recently? I had it running on my Android Auto while driving through a rural town SW of OKC when it warned me of an upcoming location of radar enforcement by the local police. Sure enough, I topped the hill and there sat the local cop with a radar gun! I'm amazed at the accuracy of the data/maps on Waze.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

I am not 100% sure, but I think Waze is owned by Google now, and some Waze features are also appearing in Google Maps. For example, I took a road trip this last week of about 500 mi., and Google Maps (via Android Auto) now both shows what it calls "speed traps" on the map and announces them orally as well (if you have that setting for verbal guidance turned on). It also shows speed limits on the current stretch of road on which you are driving. But some features of Waze, such as cars stopped on the shoulder, are still not integrated into Google Maps. (My wife uses Waze, but I prefer Google Maps.....)

9. ddddcsd

ddddcsd New Member

I do use Waze and Google Maps occasionally. I like the native system b/c it shows EV charger locations real-time on the map. Since I drive a Clarity Electric, it’s an especially nice way to learn where the chargers are. And of course, I’d like the map to be updated.

10. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Actually, I forgot to mention that you can ask Google Maps to show "EV charging stations near me" and it should show them. You can also use this as a new function of the recent update to the HondaLink app. And of course, there is also the wonderful PlugShare app, which IMHO is the best of all.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  11. ddddcsd

ddddcsd New Member

While Google Maps will show EV chargers when you search for them, they only show nearby chargers. You can’t have them on as a continuously updated “layer” like you can in the Charity’s Navigation. Being a layer means as I drive, that as I approach chargers they show up on the map.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

I did my update yesterday and successfully used a 128GB usb flash drive. I'm sure I read the directions said you needed a minimun of 16GB free. Initially tried to download the Garmin Express on my chromebook but the files are only in Windows and MAC formats. Once I used my very old and slow PC the download must have taken 30 minutes. The upload to the car was only about 10 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Inside EVs mobile app

14. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

Hm.. Maybe the new software updated resolved that issue. I remember I had to format my 32 gb drive into 16 gb because nav wouldn't recognize the drive.

15. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

The problem with large drives is Windows, not Garmin. The Garmin system just wants FAT32. Microsoft is stupid and refuses to format large drives in FAT32 (or at least makes the option to do so very hidden and annoying to get to) instead of NTFS, despite FAT32 itself supporting up to 16 TB. I used a 256GB drive I formatted in Linux, because it was the only drive I didn't have something important on.

KentuckyKen and ddddcsd like this.
  16. LAF

LAF Active Member

Has anyone noticed a difference in the NAV after uploading latest version?

17. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

I'm a "Royalty" Wazer. Been using it for at least 5 years. Use it every day even with daily commute. You never know when a copy decides to set up a speed trap or a traffic jam comes up. Or the occasional road closure.

18. ddddcsd

ddddcsd New Member

The 16GB drive was large enough, the update was only 7.5GB and installed quickly and without issue. On my commute I’m not sure how many more EV stations are showing up on the map, but I did notice the Hydrogen fueling station now shows up.

19. shelant

shelant New Member

How do I know if it's time to update the maps? Is there a firmware/software number somewhere I can check? I just purchased a 2018 Clarity Touring 2 weeks ago, so need a little help figuring it out...