Help with Apple CarPlay

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Tailwind, Jan 23, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tailwind

Tailwind Active Member

I do not listen to music when I am in the car. I don't have anything on, radio or my own music on my phone. However, I frequently get my music from my phone playing through CarPlay when I either first plug in my phone after starting the car or even if I plug in the phone first and then start the car. I don't want it to come on.

I have tried numerous variations of plug in phone start car, start car plug in phone, deselect CarPlay as audio source, etc., but can keep the music from coming on.

Does anyone know the correct formula, settings, whatever to keep the audio system from playing music all on its own?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. guinness10

guinness10 New Member

This is a known issue with iPhones, and not specific to Honda. As far as I know there isn’t a solution either in the car’s settings or the phone’s, but I haven’t looked into it for a while. It is annoying though, that’s for sure.

4. Johnhaydev

Johnhaydev Active Member

One option would be to use the passenger side USB port underneath shift buttons. That will charge the phone but it won’t cause apple CarPlay to start up.

5. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

No solution, but a statement of solidarity. Drives me crazy also to have music suddenly blast even if I just want Carplay for Google Maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. Clarity Dave

Clarity Dave Member

Agreed! It’s an Apple feature and they’ve provided no way to disable it. The best I’ve been able to do is to keep the phone handy, turn it on and hit the pause button. Navigating the menus on the center display takes longer.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. PriusGeek

PriusGeek Member

Not sure if this works for everyone, but I have mitigated the problem a bit. Here's what I've done:
    • First, I pretty much always connect the phone to the USB port before I start the car. Not sure this is needed, but its just habit
    • Second, once the car starts (and you only need to do this once; the car seems to remember it between on/off cycles as long as you leave the infotainment tablet in carplay mode) and Carplay engages, I go to the steering wheel and put the dashboard info display in Audio mode, where it shows Carplay of course. I then change it from the steering wheel control to something else (like FM). This does not impact the Carplay display on the center console, and you can select any app as usual. You just don't get Carplay music from the car.
    From that point on, I never get unwanted carplay audio (except for notifications and navigation prompts) when I power on the car with my phone connected. If I want to listen to Carplay, I just select it from the steering wheel control. There may be other ways to do this, and it isn't really a solution if you switch tablet display modes a lot, but it helps me. YMMV!

9. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

This is a little off topic, but I can not be in a silent car. One time I changed my battery and lost the radio code (before cheap cell phones,) and I was going crazy in the silence:)

I can not imagine someone sitting in silence in their car everyday- unimaginable to me:)

Sorry- of course no one cares in the slightest bit:)

KentuckyKen and MPower like this.
  10. bill_m

bill_m Member

I don't know if this is relevant to the insistent music problem, but since it never happens to me, I thought I would mention what I do that may be avoiding the problem. Before shutting down the power, I stop whatever audio is playing on the Clarity screen. And, before plugging in my iphone when I am about to start up, I delete from active memory whatever app was playing when I shut down. (For me, it is usually a podcast that I am in the middle of...).

11. DC1

DC1 Member

I'm the exact opposite of you, and this car lets me live the dream. :)

AlanSqB and LegoZ like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Will chime in with my own experience as my iPhone has stopped auto-playing for awhile now. I usually have the radio on but turn the audio system off when I get home (it turns to static when I park in my underground apartment garage). When I back in my car, I turn it on/plug it in per usual (not any particular order), but when I am above ground I turn the system back on and it reloads my FM radio station.

14. AlAl

AlAl Active Member

Granted, I use Android Auto, but have you tried tapping the display's power button to mute the music?
    All the power button does on AA is stop music from playing, nav voice still works; perhaps it's the same with ACP?