ScanGauge II OBDII Extended PIDS: Temperature

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by AnthonyW, Jan 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Well-Known Member

So as of now, I am declaring the ScanGauge project dead. I have not heard form James in 2.5 months. This thread will deal with extended PID that we were able to find in regards to temperature. For some of the newer members, check out this thread that talks about PIDS related to battery capacity and energy:

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/scangauge-ii-extended-pids-capacity-and-specific-energy.2633/

There 5 temperature readings that will be discuss:

DCT – Temp of DC-DC converter. Last in the electric powertrain coolant system
    HBT – Temp of lithium traction battery***
    AIV – Temp of air inside cabin
    AOV – Outside air temp

FWT – Temp of coolant in engine (this will be discussed separately)

***In regards to HBT, the value that I am get is a large number i.e. 120F. I am 99.97% sure that dividing the value by 2 gives me an accurate temp of the battery. In this case it would be 60F. Either the PID is missing the divisor, or it is picking up temp readings from 2 of the sensors. I know there are at least 3 temp sensors for the battery pack and possibly more. I have tried a few times to have James examine this PID more closely but have not heard back.

The next few posts are observations from several different days. Spoiler Alert: the hybrid battery pack temperature is very slow to change (at least in cooler weather) regardless of whether it is sitting, charging or during a drive.

jorgie393 and LegoZ like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Total bummer. I had such high hopes. Thanks for trying and I look forward to what you’ve found out so far.

4. AnthonyW

1a.JPG 1b.JPG

LegoZ likes this.
  5. AnthonyW

2a.JPG 2b.JPG

jorgie393, KentuckyKen and LegoZ like this.
  6. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking the time to share the data and graph.
    This data seems to me to indicate that Honda’s thermal management of the battery pack is doing a great job and bodes well for our batteies lasting a long time.
    The Nissan Leaf engineers could learn a thing or two from this. Well, maybe not. The Leaf’s air cooled battery was probably a cost consideration but if they end up replacing a lot of them (as it looks likely), it’s going to really hurt their bottom line.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

@AnthonyW
    Sorry to hear that James has gone dark...

I have looked at some OBDII data with an ordinary ELM327 adapter, but all of the more interesting Clarity stuff (like SOC, HV Battery Voltage, HV Battery Current, and all the temperatures you have been experimenting with) were not in my 'list' of available parameters. The only thing that was there for me (and does have some utility) was the ICE RPM's.

It is possible for me to define custom PID's but the technical details needed are lacking such as addresses, scale factors, etc.

Have you gained enough insight to be able to sleuth out the required parameters to help define 'custom PIDs' for use with more generic scan tools? Or, is there something more unique about the ScanGauge that gives it greater access (for instance - are the interesting PID's obtained through the CAN bus, and the ordinary scan tools do not access CAN)??

9. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

I just updated my ScanGauge II a couple of months ago. Looks like I need to get it hooked up to my Clarity and start having fun!!

10. leop

leop Active Member

I am not sure if this has yet been posted. I use the following to set up a Engine Coolant Temperature custom gauge for the Android app Torque (full version and I do not if this works with the free, lite version). I do use a different name than ECT (myECT for example) since the normal OBDII pid for ECT does work with most Hondas:

ECT:
    PID: 0167
    LONG NAME: Engine Coolant
    SHORT NAME: ECT
    MIN VAL: -40
    MAX VAL: 300
    SCALE: x1
    UNIT: °C
    EQUATION: B-40

My Torque app does not have a way to enter the units part but the gauge output looks to be in degrees F. The ECT value looks to be correct but I have yet to compare the reading to an infrared temp gauge on the ICE coolant outlet.

LeoP

11. AnthonyW

I started trying to define them but didn’t really have the time. As for your other questions I can't really answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. AnthonyW

Hold the phone. Got home and checked my email just now and guess what popped up. Last week I asked James if he had any data from the 2019 Honda Accord Hybrid or Honda Insight that might work in the Clarity. I figured that since our car is a specialty "niche" car it might not be worth his time investment but the new hybrids must be worth his time. Also I asked if not could he just publish the updated PID's that we had discovered to their website. Here is the reply I got:

Hi Anthony,

I've held off on posting any XGauges yet because I've been trying to narrow down why certain XGauges were blinking. I actually found two things that were happening. One issue we were able to sort out with more restrictive RXF values, but the other I found was affecting the Usable Battery Capacity XGauge which couldn't be solved with an RXF change. However I've made some adjustments to the ScanGauge's firmware so it now appears to solve both issue.

I've also been trying to figure out the Hybrid Battery Temperature, and it would appear you're correct that it's reading high. The offset I was using was incorrect and was biased up 32 degrees instead of biased down 40 degrees - with a net difference of 72 Degrees, which happens roughly double most temp readings. Try changing HBT's MTH to 00090005FFD8 - that should read better.

Finally for some of the XGauges that are currently working (State of Charge, Hybrid Battery Voltage, Hybrid Battery Current) I've found some alternatives that have finer resolution that are probably better to use.

What I'd like to do going forward is to send you a new ScanGauge that has the latest firmware installed in it and a set of XGauges that should work properly. If that sounds good to you just let me know where you'd like it sent.

This is excellent news as I have been wanting a little more precision in some of the readings. Looks like my HBT temps were skewed on the warm side. I will update that PID and do some more readings and report back.

Ray B and jorgie393 like this.
  14. David in TN

A quick question though...

When running on EV, SGii shuts down as if the car is off. How do you get around that?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

15. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

David in TN

In scan gauge ll settings...did you specify hybrid as vehicle type?

Just a thought.

16. David in TN

17. AnthonyW

Glad you got it set David. The X-Gauge website has not been updated yet. Below are the updated PIDs. It sounds like you are going to have to get your ScanGauge updated again after we have figured everything out.

1.JPG

KentuckyKen likes this.
  18. MrFixit

@AnthonyW

The PID table that you are showing seems to contain the required technical parameters. What is not clear to me is if / how this format maps over to the Custom PID's for the more generic OBDII tools. With Torque (and I assume others), a PID is defined like this (example from @leop above):

ECT:
    PID: 0167
    LONG NAME: Engine Coolant
    SHORT NAME: ECT
    MIN VAL: -40
    MAX VAL: 300
    SCALE: x1
    UNIT: °C
    EQUATION: B-40​

Can you (or anyone) explain whether it is possible to infer this simpler definition from the X-Gauge table that AnthonyW posted above?

19. David in TN

...or maybe just become a Beta tester, too? ;-)

$25 for my last update -- after 11 years was a DEAL!!

Thanks for the list, that is awesome!

20. bfd

bfd Active Member

By the time they ever get this figured out and I send in my SGII for a firmware upgrade, it'll probably be time to trade the car in. Disappointing, but at least someone's still working on it.

21. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

Fascinating thread - thanks Anthony W!

FYI - there is a cheap OBD-II bluetooth unit that can log EV state of charge data through the 'Torque Pro' app.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/

The only downside is that it only does whole number percentages of the SoC - I would like to be able to see the numbers fluctuate more definitively (with decimal values) according to the driving situations.

It would be great if, like MrFixIt mentioned, I could figure out how to enable PIDs for the other data you are getting to work with the Scangauge II. Many thanks for all the updates and work on this. I am watching your progress with interest.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  22. AnthonyW

Great question. I spent a small amount of time trying to do the conversion so that I could use my BlueDriver OBDII and thus have access to the info wirelessly and in the app. I didn't get that far.

Check out this page and then google around a bit and see what you come up with:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/50474/

23. MrFixit

This is excellent !! I will work on this.