Wind energy production just passed coal in Texas

Discussion in 'Energy' started by Domenick, Nov 28, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Wind power blows past coal in Texas

Wind power is pretty big in Texas, and coal plants are being shut down. The renewable energy now has more capacity than coal plants and by 2019, should actually generate more power.

Now, natural gas is #1 in that state.

NeilBlanchard, ABrown and WadeTyhon like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. WadeTyhon

WadeTyhon Well-Known Member

Yeah, Coal has been on decline in our state for several decades.

Wind, Natural Gas and Solar continue to make our state much cleaner. Not just because of the green energy push in the 90s and early 2000s. It has reached the point where it now makes more financial sense as well.

Hopefully within a few decades, Natural Gas and Coal will completely give way to Wind and Solar. But still a long way to go.

Domenick likes this.
  4. Yeah, it's nice that the environmental argument is needed less and less nowadays. It's what's pushing renewables in China, still. But many of their cities are pretty unlivable, so it's not too hard to convince people to improve air quality.

WadeTyhon likes this.
  5. jim

jim Active Member

Texas is great for electric cars from all the Wind. I saw this remark on line.
    CarGuy
    January 16, 2018 at 10:34 pm
    I’ll go with the wind option. Yes we are building many more turbines in Texas. I charge my car with 100 percent wind power at night when it is free. Can’t go wrong there.

WadeTyhon and Domenick like this.
  6. ABrown

ABrown New Member

Kind of shocking considering all that the current administration has done to help the coal industry! Natural gas is definitely top lead still and with great reason.

Domenick likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Active Member

Iowa leads the country for wind power - they are over 31%. Coal is on the decline everywhere in the US, and in most places in the world.

Domenick likes this.
  9. Feed The Trees

Feed The Trees Active Member

All the story lines from energy folks were that coal cannot be saved, just lip service to get votes.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

NeilBlanchard likes this.
  10. lem

lem New Member

Years ago when I was visiting in Abilene Texas, you could see the wind turbine farms on the weather radar, they were so big an area.

Robert Bratton likes this.
  11. RostHaus

RostHaus New Member

I have a similar plan in TX. it used to be a mix of energy sources during the day. Now its only available as Solar power during the day and wind power (still free) at night..
    Even though the the solar price per kwh is a bit high, when I did the math it still came out less per month(when you go through an average Day's usage.) than just about every plan that was available to my area. I've noticed about a $50 savings per month its quite possibly a lot more, because I didn't have an EV prior to switching and I only charge during the free night hours. I have not gone through a TX summer with the new plan yet, that will be its biggest test imo.

This though does completely discredit the "But you are charging your EV off coal, NG, etc" talking point. If Texas of all places can make the concerted effort to offer alternatives, just about everywhere can.

NeilBlanchard likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.