Tesla in the News

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Pushmi-Pullyu, Dec 22, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

So this is comment posted at: https://techcrunch.com/2018/11/15/tesla-acquires-trucking-companies-to-squeeze-in-more-deliveries-before-dec-31/?yptr=yahoo

Thanks to stock shorter news and Elon’s unfortunate post, I bought TSLA in two lots, $305 and $260 per share. Since then, TSLA went up so I took a small profit and 30% diversified into gold, KL, in anticipation of another Trump ‘victory’.

I’ve got a TSLA sell order at $420 to keep the stock from being ‘borrowed’ by short-sellers. Once it gets to ~$370, I’ll bump the sell order from $420 to $520.

During the coming Trump depression, I’ll convert the gold stock back to TSLA and ride it up again. Hopefully good friend “Edwin Severs” will help throw dirt on TSLA so I can buy it at a better price.

User "Edwin Severs" claims TSLA is a scam ... another useful idiot. Regardless, securing trucking makes sense. Elon put a seat manufacturing line in Fremont because Model S production was held up due to an unreliable seat maker.

Elon does not trust anyone who can slow or stop any critical step from manufacture to delivery. In Q3, he found car carriers were the bottleneck but that won't be the case in Q4.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I don't see how that translates to buying one or more companies that make car carrier semi trailers/ trucks. Tesla certainly needs to plan ahead by contracting for car carrier trucks in advance, and if that's not sufficient then they need to buy some car carrier semi trailers. Tesla already has a lot of irons in the fire; I don't think they need to diversify even more buy actually buying the company that makes the trailers/ trucks.

Unless... Could it be that Tesla plans on using a car carrier truck factory to produce its Semi Truck? That actually might make sense!

Quick, let's start a rumor!
    :D

4. Pushmi-Pullyu

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    bwilson4web likes this.
  5. Pushmi-Pullyu

6. bwilson4web

Requirements should drive purchases and if some think a pickup meets ... who am I to complain. It is, after all, their money. By the same token, I'm fond of plug-in hybrids which meet my requirements. I'm just glad they are available for reasonable prices.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

As I was falling asleep last night, I realized there is an unspoken requirement:
    [​IMG]
    A "Grapes of Wrath" requirement that requires everything to be loaded for a dash away from some disaster. Yet local 'white collar' commuters park their pristine pickups at the office and think nothing at all of a more practical commuting car. In contrast, the pickups of my farm relatives have scratches and dimpled tow balls.

Bob Wilson

9. Pushmi-Pullyu

Guys who drive a pickup as a commuter car are what I call "suburban cowboys".

Reminds me of a long-ago "Shoe" comic strip which stuck in my mind. The scene is the local auto repair shop. The mechanic and a customer are admiring one of the cars in for service; it's a large SUV fully loaded with offroad equipment such as oversized tires, bull bars, a front-mounted winch, etc. "So what's it in for?" asks the customer. The mechanic points to a tiny spot on the fender just above the rear wheel and says "It's got a little ding here."

10. bwilson4web

[​IMG]
    Or late at night, a "Midnight Cowboy."

Bob Wilson

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Pushmi-Pullyu

From Forbes: "Thrills, Frills And Foibles Of New Mid Range Tesla Model 3"

I always appreciate an actual owner taking the time to give us his personal report on a new car.

I also learned something. The writer says that the Long Range RWD Model 3 has a top speed of 140 MPH. I thought that was incorrect; that only the Performance trim of the Model 3 has a top speed above 125 MPH.

But it turns out he's right. Finding a chart for the various Model 3 top speeds required a lot more of my Google-fu than I expected, but I finally found a chart:

Tesla Model 3 Version Comparisons
    ........................ 0-60 mph (sec) ... Top Speed (mph) ... Range (mi)
    Model 3 Mid Range (RWD) ..... 5.6 ............. 125 .............. 260
    Model 3 Long Range (RWD) .... 5.1 ............. 140 .............. 310
    Model 3 Long Range (AWD) .... 4.5 ............. 145 .............. 310
    Model 3 Performance (AWD) ... 3.3 ............. 155 .............. 310

Caveat: Some or all of those (EPA) Range numbers have been intentionally under-reported by Tesla, but those are the official specifications.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  13. Pushmi-Pullyu

From Electrek: "Tesla Supercharger gets taken over by anti-Tesla pickup truck drivers acting aggressively"

Apparently for some knuckle-draggers in North Carolina, "rolling coal" and spewing out huge clouds of black diesel soot from their pickups isn't enough. Apparently some of them think they need to block a Tesla supercharger station and yell obscenities at Tesla car owners.

I wonder what the world would be like without such intolerant, ignorant jerks? I dunno, but I'd love to find out!
    :cool:

14. Pushmi-Pullyu

From Green Car Reports: "Pickup drivers target Tesla Superchargers in 'ICEing' incidents"

There was an InsideEVs news report about this, but it was reported as an isolated incident. According to the report linked here, it has become a pastime for knuckle-draggers in the "Old South", in a manner similar to "rolling coal".

Looks to me like these jerks are just begging to get their tires slashed.

15. bwilson4web

A better answer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob Wilson

16. Pushmi-Pullyu

Goodness, a flurry of Tesla related stories that haven't been reported at InsideEVs News! At least, not yet.

From Electrek: "Tesla and GM are not getting EV tax credit reform, Trump reportedly intervened"

From ExtremeTech: "Another Tesla Crash, Another Investigation Into Autopilot"

From CNN Business: "Apple, Google, Microsoft, Dell and Tesla are sued over alleged child labor in Congo"

On the last story, my guess is it's just some activist group trying to use a lawsuit to get undeserved publicity by invoking the name of high-profile companies... and unfortunately succeeding. The tragedy of child labor in the Congo is indeed an issue which needs attention, but from what has been reported in the past, Tesla -- and Panasonic, which makes Tesla's batteries -- are careful to source their cobalt from places other than the Congo.

17. bwilson4web

From Electrek: "Tesla and GM are not getting EV tax credit reform, Trump reportedly intervened"

I thought it was unlikely and Trump's intervention was no surprise. There is an active program by the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) to add extra taxes to EVs and of course the Dealers are on a jihad against Tesla. After all, one political group sees EVs and fuel efficient vehicles as 'liberal' whom they hate.

From ExtremeTech: "Another Tesla Crash, Another Investigation Into Autopilot"

Expected but still suffering from a lack of statistical evidence. Of course the lack of evidence never prevented Congress from passing what I called the "Bell the Hybrid" act. It was finally implemented for Teslas in September 2019 to generate a useless audio noise. Worse, embedded in the data is an untested hypothesis that larger "A" pillars supporting windshields are blocking driver view of pedestrians and cyclists.

From CNN Business: "Apple, Google, Microsoft, Dell and Tesla are sued over alleged child labor in Congo"

We agree. It sounds more like a publicity stunt only because of those being sued. There are other precious metals mined and crops grown by child labor. India and Bangladesh are notorious for child labor abuse in clothing leading to Nike and Walmart accusations. But we find a curious blindness depending upon who's Ox is being gored. Our domestic farm works are an excellent example. Funny thing, Alabama has relearned that prison labor doesn't work as farm equipment is susceptible to abuse by unwilling labor.

Bob Wilson

18. Pushmi-Pullyu

I'm not surprised, either. After all, this is a guy who appointed several Big Oil executives, supporters, and lobbyists to his original Cabinet.

But altho I'm not surprised, I am disappointed. I regarded getting the EV tax credit extended as a long shot, even with GOP support for General Motors on the issue; but I was hoping!

19. bwilson4web

Some of the Mary Barra meetings with the White House looked more like a hostage being called by their hostage taker. I'm thinking of the meetings after GM announced recent plant closings. I'll have to pause here because of other past, bad GM practices.

Bob Wilson

20. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

21. bwilson4web

22. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

No, Tesla needs to start putting CCS heads on the superchargers and get
    off their ivory tower.

_H*