Long Distance Road Trip Tips

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ChargePoint, Jun 11, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Summer is here, the season of road trips! Do you have tips for long distance road trips in an EV?

A few suggestions from our Facebook & Twitter communities to kick it off...
    • Ben: Bring an adapter for RV Parks if you plan to travel through the central or mountain time zones.
    • Sunil: Use regenerative braking [and] switch to eco mode at high speed
    • Ed: Instead of the interstate, take the secondary roads [for] better scenery and better ev range.

[​IMG]
    Pictured: Van Schmus family! The family stopped by ChargePoint headquarters in Campbell, CA, to recharge before heading back south on their road trip

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Hot weather driving tips would be appreciated too if you've got them!

4. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

And pray that the chargers you desperately need to make your trip will be available and working when you get there.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'm doing a Prius Prime study in Huntsville AL where we do not have Time Of Day (TOD) rates. But I can use TOD logic to charge the car from 2-6 AM, the coolest part of the day. This minimizes A/C operation to keep the air cooled battery at a happy temperature. I can also use a slower charge rate, 7 A instead of 16 A, which further reduces electric heating losses.

Bob Wilson

6. dGarry48

dGarry48 Member

We spent most of our summer activities at trail riding with lots of vegetation and trees so it is not that hot. There are occassional rain instead which got us on the first day and had some of our stuff soak wet. We installed the led light bars and access tonneau cover on the truck the next weekend and it pays off. For long distance, we also travel at night time to avoid heat and traffic.

7. To remove this ad click here.