Munro says Tesla Model 3 is profitable

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by David Green, Jul 16, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Stuart21

Stuart21 New Member

With our driveline, Model 3 could be 40% profit. & a better car, to boot! OK, maybe 36%.

But the IP mafia doesn't like cooperation between inventors & industry - they find conflict far more profitable.

Time musk told his IP counsel to start working for Tesla.

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I'm not really following your post, @Stuart21. Are you saying you've developed a drivetrain? Also, your attachment shows up as black screen for me.

4. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

I see an empty white rectangle.

Is this perhaps an attempted practical joke?

5. Yeah, I get the white triangle in a different browser.

6. Unfortunately, I didn't take any before photos.
    Here is the left and right headlights. Note how the left photo has a gap around it. headlights.jpg

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Pushmi-Pullyu

Hey, thanks for taking the time and trouble to posts those photos, MTN Ranger!

Sadly, I can't really tell what I'm looking at. What I'm seeing is what appears to be a wide gap "below" both of the headlight assemblies in the photos. I say "below" because I can't tell what angle the photos were taken from.

I think what we should be seeing should look something like the photos below, is that right?

Sorry if I'm coming across as OCD. It's not fair for me to sit around, in front of my computer, and ask you to do the work of taking pictures and uploading them. If you don't want to add to what you've posted, that's perfectly reasonable and understandable. But I confess I can't tell what's going on from the extreme close-ups you've posted. Again, my apologies for criticizing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. The photos were taken similar to your second photo, except closer to the bumper looking to the right and left, respectively.

10. David Green

David Green Well-Known Member

Interestingly PuPu, the 2 pictures you posted are from the hand built concept Model 3, and not the production model shown in the other gentleman's photos, so there are some differences in quality of the build, but even the concept has a misalignment where the front facia joins the front fender on the outside of the headlight.

11. Pushmi-Pullyu

As usual with your remarks, Mr. "Green", the sensible thing is to proceed from the assumption that they're not true. One will rarely be wrong that way.

In this case, it's obvious that different seals were used around the headlights in the two different photos. Unless Tesla replaced the seals between one picture and the next, or unless they put a different seal around the right headlight than the left one -- rather unlikely! -- then they can't be photos of the same car.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Sorry for the late post:
    [​IMG]
    That horizontal gap going left of the light shows that the front bumper, facia is not properly mounted. The repair is not done but easily corrected.

So did the owner hit a curb or parking block that ripped the front facia down?

Here is an eBay replacement: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TESLA-MODEL-3-FRONT-BUMPER-2017-2018-BLACK-OEM/142870353618?hash=item2143bc96d2:g:dPsAAOSwYF9bTNYb

There may be frame damage from the front mechanical bumper mount. But we'd have to see pictures with the facia removed.

So where is the crashed Tesla?

Bob Wilson

14. David Green

Correct, I saw the second photo which is of the Concept car, and did not look closely at the first one... My error... Wow, they sure did not make the production model fit well...

15. David Green

I have seen that gap on production cars, not crashed.... the front facia is fit well on some, and not as well on others... Depends what part of the 16 hour shift the assembler was on, and how much red bull he has had that day...

16. Pushmi-Pullyu

Oh! Thanks Bob, suddenly what I was seeing "snapped into focus", as it were. Odd that it took you explaining that for me to understand what I was seeing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a photo posted by MTN Ranger of his new Model 3. He says he had to take it in to get some sort of panel adjustment because one of the headlights was 1/2" lower than the other.

He says that's the "after" photo, which I find confusing, because there is no way that is fixed! There's a significant gap between the fascia and adjacent body panels. Perhaps that was taken during the process of fixing the car? Maybe the Tesla service center pulled off the fascia to get access to the headlight, and this is a photo taken before the fascia was replaced in its proper position?

Anyway, Bob, I thought perhaps I was the only one confused, so it's a relief to see you are too. ;)

17. bwilson4web

Car auctions often sell 'salvage' cars like this:
    [​IMG]
    Here we see the frame structure that is hidden by the front facia of a typical Tesla.

Sand Mountain AL was notorious for shops buying salvage cars and cobbling together 'Fanken-cars' where the front came from one donor and the rear another. The original photo, carefully cropped to avoid showing the full facia, is the sort of thing Sand Mountain would do.

Bob Wilson

18. bwilson4web

Actually Tesla has a 'before' picture. One of the detailed articles about Tesla quality reported the cars are instrumented as part of a track test drive and photos taken. Tesla probably does this to mitigate subsequent charges of 'bad fit and finish.'
    [​IMG]
    Source: https://insideevs.com/tesla-buyer-takes-delivery-immediately-crashes-model-s/

Regardless, Tesla skeptic ethics being what they are . . .

Bob Wilson

19. David Green

I am not sure about Model 3's coming from the tent, but in a modern car factory, photos are taken all through the process, and cataloged as part of the cars history, right down to the engine and transmission assembly, structural welding, etc... Auto companies keep a tremendous amount of data not only on a vehicle, but its parts. In the case of a lawsuit, its amazing the amount of data they can produce.

20. My headlights were both deemed "in spec" by the service center. The photos were taken in my garage after service. The service center did not remove the bumper cover.

21. bwilson4web

Where is this service center?

Seriously, the front facia is not mounted correctly. Time to escalate:
    1. Post photo of their service report.
    2. See service manager and request escalation.
    3. Send photo to Tesla of full photo array.
    4. File report with BBS.
    5. File insurance claim.
    6. How much are you asking for this defective car?
      1. Reduce purchase price by $7,500.
      2. Take 25% off of that depreciation.
      3. If reasonable, I pay for an independent body shop to evaluate the car and deduct repair cost.
    Bob Wilson

22. Pushmi-Pullyu

Yeah, I feel like we're missing part of the story here. I can't believe that any Tesla service shop would release a car in that condition, or that anyone concerned about panel alignments, like MTN Ranger said he is, would accept the car in that condition.

Color me very confused.
    :confused: