Tesla MagicDock upto around 75 locations now.

Discussion in 'General' started by OneEV, Apr 11, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. And then what will happen to the EV transition? Could go backwards. May be actually be happening right now. They need to fix the problem (charging infrastructure) they created. Kinda late to hand it over to free enterprise now and expect quick results.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

Its not going backwards. The lull you see in the market is happening for multiple reasons - loans are more expensive now, the economy in general isn't moving as much so people hold off on new purchases, there are people also holding out until NACS is in all EVs, etc. Every major car manufacturer is ramping up its EV manufacturing infrastructure right now anyways. The inertia is already in favor of EVs.

The problem with the infrastructure was more or less a direct product of government. Thankfully the US never mandated a charging standard so now we get the better NACS standard. Now that NACS will be the standard, it will just take time for all the car companies to smooth out the software issues. That shouldn't take too long to do. So yes, gov getting out of charging would almost instantly fix the problem going forward.

There are also tons of groups who are super adamant about getting people to drive EVs, which is great and they should make paying for infrastructure a part of club dues, fund raisers, etc. No reason why you cant have local NGOs handle giving out their own grants for constructing stations. The benefit of a private organization doing this is that they aren't as bound as the government is to ridiculous parameters and can react more flexibly to changing conditions. If it were private organizations working to build stations, there would be no stalls with resources wasted on CHADEMO

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Agreed. While it's been reported that EV sales are falling and inventory is building, what's really happening is the rate of increase has slowed. Modern American journalism doesn't seem to favor nuance.

5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I don't think that would happen anyhow. I suspect that the V2 chargers can't be upgraded to use either the Magic Dock or adapter.

I think that's going to be an issue for you OneEV as it seems to be more likely to run into a V2 station when outside of Minneapolis.

It looks like roughly 6.9 million dollars needs to be spent to outfit the CCS vehicles currently registered in Washington state with adapters.

There roughly 65 Tesla locations in Washington state, some of which are V2.

6. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

Yep
    And we all know how things go when the government gets involved.
    To me the whole problem is the transition itself. The bridge to EV world was not very well thought out at all.
    The biggest thing for me is as a EV owner, I still do not know how reliable these cars are going to be. My last 5 ICE cars I had never had to go into a shop for a fix. Just change the oil every 5k or so miles. I’ve had 2 EVs and have for a total of about 18 months and have been back to the dealership at least 5 times! while we’re on the subject of EV technicians vs ICE mechanics……no contest here at all! I have to drive 50 miles for a EV technician to look at my car and btw only a handful in that city are able to work on my car. My ICE car…..I have 5 shops in my town within a 3 block radius. If I need them!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SouthernDude

Part of that is because EVs are newer and they offer different flexibility in design, so manufacturers are taking certain liberties with the design of the cars (especially the newer companies like tesla and rivian). Some of these designs are fairly poor from a repairability standpoint, so any repairs that need to be done are extremely expensive - hence why hertz dropped tesla cars. It seems that a lot of old lessons need to be relearned and will be in future cars. It doesn't matter how wonderful and maintenance light the drive train is if the rest of the car requires expensive maintenance.

9. marshall

10. SouthernDude

How does the claim in this article square with the tire replacement frequency you mentioned? Also, the model 3 and Y have not been sold for 10 years yet. The X will only have been in production for 10 years next year, so i'm not sure i trust those numbers.

11. OneEV

OneEV Active Member Subscriber

As an Uber driver I can say unequivocally moving rideshare drivers to Tesla was a total bonehead move Teslas are the most expensiove EV to repair that I can think of. The Chevy Bolt would have been perfect with the exception of the slowest charging. Parts are cheap.Battery swaps fairly inexpensive (after the 100k warranty)

If a Uber driver has charging at home and never drives more than 200 mmiles that would be my recommendation, cheap , cheap to run repairs also fairly inexpensive. If you drive more than 200 miles day the ID 4 next in line ,. I tapped intoa pole in parking lot , I spent $65 for the middle bumper cover and had a guy on graigslist remove old insert new for $100. ..

If the equinox with it's 300 mile + range comes in 35k ..that will be my new recommendation for rideshare drivers.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Further on the EV transition... TSLA vs GM. GM reigned in their EV production and selling more trucks now. Tesla sales and profits faltering. What does that tell you?

View attachment 22504
    upload_2024-4-23_7-42-12.png

14. marshall

Well then think Porsche and Mercedes.

I was listening to one of the "Out of Spec" podcasts interviews with a car sharing company in California. The person being interview said they took a pass on EVs due to the massive deprecation and the cost of tires. I would think that Herz would have both of these issues. Has Herz ever said where the excessive repair costs are coming from?

Consumer Reports wrote that their readers reported Tesla maintenance to be one of the lower cost vehicles over ten years. So I guess if you own a Tesla, plan on keeping the car until the wheels fall off, and try not to chirp the tires.

15. marshall

I believe that article covers a 5 to 10 year span.

As far as tires, do you believe that folks drive a rental harder then their own vehicle?

And when the car has instant torque and can accelerate much faster then a regular ICE vehicle, do you think folks will be hesitant to chip the tires on a rental?

Do you believe that EVs with instant torque are going spin the tires a tiny bit when accelerating from a stop? Do you think that tiny bit of spin will grind the tires down faster?

Also note that Consumer Reports rates the Tesla model 3 and model Y drive trains as being very reliable. Plus I don't think their is much to maintain there.

I don't own a Tesla, but I would think tires are their biggest maintenance issue. Outside of their build issues, the cars seem pretty reliable.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
  16. SouthernDude

The majority of Tesla cars are less than 10 years old. Incomplete dataset

That is probably the case, but that still indicates that maybe the maintenance savings are exaggerated by pro EV people. Like I said earlier, who cares how low maintenance the drive train is if everything else is more expensive to maintain/repair due to build quality? Body work on many EV models seems to be more expensive than ICE because of certain design choices.

Puppethead likes this.
  17. OneEV

Exactly..

EV sales continue to actually be on a blistering pace..just not as fast has it has been but that was mostly just because consumers had reached th top limit they were willing to spend.. EV prices are falling in reaction to that sentiment and sales are growing again.

upload_2024-4-23_14-41-25.png

Expected sales to reach 10% (if not alreay in 2024)

Cox Automotive forecasts EV sales in the U.S. to increase year over year in 2024, making this year the best year ever for EV sales. Analysts expect EV sales to reach roughly 10% of the market by the end of the year, up from 7.3% in the first quarter.Apr 11, 2024

Keep in mind the Blazer and Equinox just coming to market (plus half dozen others)... would not suprise me at all if we hit 3 Million EVs sold this year 2024 compared to 2.1 millionlast year.

BTW ..we are all way off topic

18. SouthernDude

I doubt 2024 will be 10% EV sales, but I think that 2025 will pass that threshold. It wouldn't surprise me if 50-60% of all new car sales were EVs by 2030.

Keith Smith likes this.
  19. OneEV

Actually I seen 2 reports a ew days ago that we already passed 10%..I'll go look for it. Wouldnt suprise me one bit with all the EV discounts of late AND the buyers can get the $7,500 right off the cost of the car instead of tax time.

20. OneEV

21. SouthernDude

We'll see what happens at the end of the year. I think most of these models get released much later in the year - maybe even during December.

22. Keith Smith

Keith Smith Active Member

Hertz costs/problems with EV's was mostly a 1-2 punch of stupidity, and the cost of repair. Not the repair of the drive-train, the repair of everything else. Rental cars get banged up way worse than most POV's. A crunched fender on a Nissan, they have the needed agreements and infrastructure in place to get it quickly and inexpensively repaired. Not so much with a Tesla. Then they tried to rent them without figuring out the charging issues associated with a bunch of people renting electric vehicles that had no clue as to how charging works.

The NACS plug adoption is a prime example of how the market is drastically better than legislation. Legislation has been promoting massive infrastructure around a soon to be obsolete standard. This is going to cost a ton of money in the short term for the charging companies. Had it been even worse, we may have had to deal CCS for another 20 years. If the government will step away the market is robust enough to level itself out where needed. A light touch with legislation, maybe modest tax incentives for small businesses to put in better L2, and working with the distribution network. Maybe force our way past some of the regulatory stupidity and get a few Nuclear plants built.

23. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

A favorite Mel Brooks joke shamelessly stolen from:

Given my Tesla has both NACS and CCS-1 capability, I'll probably drop out. As for my BMW i3-REx, it carries its own, gas powered charger.

Bob Wilson