Won't DC Fast Charge

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by tjkvt, Mar 4, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. tjkvt

tjkvt New Member

I have a 2019, Limited, 57 K miles and am in the Northeast US. A few weeks ago the car suddenly wouldn't DC fast charge. I tried on 3 different chargers: Blink, EVGO and Flo. The handshake was always successful, so the chargers were recognizing the vehicle, including the plug and charge I have set up on EVGO, but the moment the charger tried to start delivering current, it stopped and I got the Blue Link message that charging was complete based on vehicle settings. No warning lights showed up on the screen, but the charge port ring light turned red. I checked my DC charge limit setting and made sure it was above the car's current state of charge and even toggled it down and back up to "wake it up" in case there was a software issue. Level 2 charging at home and on public chargers was not affected, so the issue was not critical because I was not taking any trips over 150 miles. When I tried again a week later, the story was the same except the triangle warning of an error in the vehicle's electrical system came on, but disappeared when I unplugged and started the car.
    I took the car in today to my usual dealer, Burlington, Vermont, Hyundai, and after they pursued multiple avenues of diagnosis and talked to Hyundai US headquarters, the fault was located as a faulty actuator which is built into the high-voltage battery, so I will be getting a second replacement battery! The first replacement was in the 2020 recall at 11K miles. With a lifetime warranty on the high-voltage battery, this could keep on going with fresh batteries forever.
    Overall I love the car and have taken it coast to coast across the US twice.

JoeS and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. This is kind of odd. Curious the SOC when tried DC charging sessions failed and also if AC charging works to 100%. I wonder how many out there have not used DC charging (recently) have the same kind of issue.
    Congratulations on being approved for a 2nd pack replacement- were you supplied a loaner or are you still driving the car?
    ...hopefully this new pack arrives before too long.:)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
  4. There have been many reports on Reddit of DC charging failing over the last six months and there was a Hyundai TSB issued in Oct 2023 to update the BMS and see if a new pack is required.

My 2019 MY with pack replaced Oct 2022 is also subject to this update. I haven't DC charged it yet so don't know if there's a problem.

5. tjkvt

tjkvt New Member

I wasn't aware of the Reddit reports. Guess I should check into the Reddit forum more frequently. I hadn't tried fast charging since September 2023, so not sure when the actuator actually started failing. I agree there maybe more out there that haven't been discovered yet.

6. tjkvt

tjkvt New Member

Still driving the car with all systems reported as normal as long as I'm not trying to fast charge. The dealer is estimating two to three weeks to get the new battery.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. tjkvt

tjkvt New Member

The high voltage battery was replaced last week, only two weeks from when the dealer ordered it. The whole process including coolant replacement took only 3 hours. The car successfully DC fast charged on my way back home, but then failed to DC charge at three different chargers yesterday, giving me the "vehicle charging is complete based on your settings" message with the charging stations showing "communication error" messages. I checked the car's charging limit and verified that it is set at 100% while the car's state of charge was below 30%. Level 2 charging continues to be no problem and the car is not showing an error message on the screen. Back to the dealer it goes. I'm getting discouraged.:(. Any ideas as to what might be going on?

9. Meaning specifically the DC charging limit?

10. tjkvt

tjkvt New Member

Yes, the DC charging limit is set at 100%.

11. HyperSmiler

HyperSmiler New Member

I had the same symptoms as you and the dealer replaced the level 3 locking actuator in the charging port. It works fine now and fortunately was covered under warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.