What did you do to your MINI today?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by SameGuy, Oct 4, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

I was having issues with the infotainment crashing or not connecting to our phones (iPhone 15pro) it’s been getting worse. I’ll go back in spring for the fender trim. It’s noted on the file.

whats wild is out of all the EVs I’ve driven recently the SE still has the nicest interior.

SameGuy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I drove my first Honda Insight from 2000 to 2007. I liked it so much that when Honda said the car would be discontinued after the 2006 model year, I ordered the last one I could and put it in my garage for a year. In 2007, I sold the 2000 Insight and started driving the 2006 Insight.

In 2009, I was excited by the MINI-E, but disappointed I couldn't get one in Michigan. I had been hoping hoped Honda would follow-up the discontinued Insight with a new battery-electric car (they had leased ~300 Honda "EV Plus" EVs to California drivers in 1997). I sold that second Insight after I placed my order for a MINI Cooper SE in the summer of 2019. That car arrived 51 weeks after I placed my order.

I, too, thought about buying a second SE and putting it in the garage. If there was still a MINI dealer in Ann Arbor, I probably would have done that. With less than 20K miles on my 2021 SE, however, it just didn't seem to make sense this time. I'll be bummed when I'm ready for my next car if no manufacturer is offering a small, sporty EV that weighs as little as my SE.

SameGuy likes this.
  4. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

Honda is going to bring back the Prelude as a hybrid.

5. insightman

I was very excited when they showed the Prelude, but were vague about the powertrain. Then I was very disappointed when they admitted it was just another hybrid--not even a PHEV like our Clarity. Such a contrast from when I was so excited to get the first hybrid car in Michigan back in '00.

6. SJA

SJA Member

Out of curiosity, I am having an issue where my Iphone 15 will drop Apple Carplay when I am on calls from time to time. It doesn't happen when listening to music only phone calls. It drops for a second back to my phone and then re-connects. Did you problem have anything to do with something like that?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

They have been so quiet about the details of this car that I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it will be a plug-in hybrid or something else like AWD with the front wheels being powered by the engine and the rear by an electric motor. The NSX has a unique hybrid system too so it wouldn't be shocking for Honda to do something cool with the Prelude.

9. insightman

My SE has spoiled me. I'm all-in on EVs now.

Qisl and MichaelC like this.
  10. Rogwp

Rogwp Active Member Subscriber

Basil broke! In the middle of downtown Vancouver at lunchtime! He is stuck in Park and refuses to go forwards or backwards. I get a message saying depress the side button before moving the selector, but that doesn’t work. He got towed and I got Ubered. Any ideas what might have happened?

11. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Probably something happened with your 12V battery and it drained without being recharged. Did you get the 12V battery cover recall addressed?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rogwp

No to the cover, and the dealer only mentioned that there was a recall on the car for the 3G sunset. There was 63% battery charge in the car when this happened.

14. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Still think it might be a fob issue.

teslarati97 likes this.
  15. SameGuy

YUL
    Today I played Pole Position, got pulled over, didn't get cited.

Traffic on the three-lane freeway was being annoying: everybody in all three lanes going the same speed... below the limit... with huge gaps. I signalled every intention and made careful, safe passes using all three lanes, and after about 3 km of this I passed a cop who promptly lit the cherries. I safely pulled over.

When he asked why I was "driving erratically," I pointed out that I was NOT breaking any laws. He calmly asked me to explain why I thought so. I casually rattled off three arcane road laws we have in Quebec: a) "zigonnage" (zig-zagging) is only cited if the driver hasn't clearly indicated their intentions prior to initiating two or more consecutive lane changes; I did indeed signal; b) on multi-lane highways with a posted limit of 70 km/h (43 mph) or higher, passing a vehicle (going below the limit) on the right is permitted, provided the speed limit isn't surpassed in so doing; and c) on multi-lane highways it is against the law to sit in the left or passing lane if not completing a pass; because the cars going below the limit in the left lane were impeding me, if I stayed in that lane I'd be breaking the law as well, so I signalled my lane changes and continued ahead from the middle lane.

The police officer handed my papers back and wished me safe travels.

16. teslarati97

Also possible, but he was able to start his vehicle. I've tried starting my vehicle without a key fob near by and you get the "key not detected" message.

I don't know how the dealer was able to determine 63% in the 12V battery...but oh well.

17. Rogwp

Interesting, perhaps the key fob battery is low? The car starts properly and all other functions appear normal. As I was driving along,just before this happened I got a warning message saying that I needed to depress the side button before charging gear. Ridiculous as I was just driving down a street and had no intention of going into reverse at 50km/h!

18. SameGuy

YUL
    I occasionally get "remote not detected" on the IC when I hop out to get something out of the boot and hop back in. I've never had to do the "place fob by the steering column" thing as it starts normally within a few seconds. But the message on the IC disappears within a few seconds.

Rogwp likes this.
  19. teslarati97

At any rate let us know how it goes! Everything should be warrantied, but that's lost time...

Rogwp likes this.
  20. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Yours SE is stuck in Park my BMWI 3 was stuck on Neutral I was not IMG_1344.jpeg able to shift to Park and have to use a brake to hold a car in place but a car was drivable D or R was ok.First dealer keep a car for a week no fix second dealer fix an issue less than 2Hrs and was a problem with Actuator which is shifting a gears to P D N R if your dealer will not fix give him a hint as my experience proof me right I give them a part # to both what to do .Hope this help.

KellyTheK and Rogwp like this.
  21. Rogwp

Update: Basil needs a new gear selector lever and it’s coming from Germany (of course). Should be here in about 3-4 weeks, hopefully. Until then a gas loaner!

22. SameGuy

YUL
    Ugh. Sorry, @Rogwp . I wonder if BMW would goodwill some gas cards for you to cover the added expenses...

Rogwp likes this.
  23. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

What year and mileage ? I’ve heard of this happening before on Gas Minis