Tesla Aero Wheels

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by rreyes, Dec 11, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. rreyes

rreyes New Member

Just throwing it out there in case anyone was interested or curious about whether they fit. Just put the wheels on tonight. Looks like its a pretty good fit. Only drove it for a couple miles so far. No rubbing or other issues yet. My car was due for some tires to I ordered some Hankook Ion Evo AS. While I was waiting for them to come in, I started doing some research on some other options. Ended up finding a set of takeoffs with new tires and decided to give it a shot since it was cheaper than going with the Hankooks. The set up is lighter coming in at 47.5 lbs with new tires while the stock wheels were at 52 lbs with worn tires. I have the aero covers, but I think I'm willing to lose a little bit of efficiency keeping them off. I feel like the rims look too good to cover up. Clarity1.jpg Clarity1.jpg Clarity2.jpg Clarity2.jpg Clarity3.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

It is very interesting (and unexpected) that this works...
    Apparently both Clarity and Tesla wheels are hub centric (oriented precisely by the hub rather than the lug bolts) with a 64.1 mm hub diameter !
    I assume you did not need an adapter ring because of this.

You have demonstrated that the Tesla wheel works on a Clarity (with no interference issues, etc).
    Do you think it would also be possible to use a Clarity wheel on a Tesla?

I am thinking more about covering for the lack of spare that seems to exist in all vehicles these days. Some of us went through the process of acquiring an Infinity 'donut spare' to use with the Clarity (this did require a hub adapter ring). Could this spare also be used on a Tesla? Or, for instance, could a Modern Spare for a Tesla also be shared with a Clarity? With both a Clarity and a Tesla, I would like to keep a single spare at home in case there was a need to 'rescue' one of the vehicles locally and only carry it on a 'long' trip.

4. rreyes

rreyes New Member

No hub centric ring needed since center bore is 64.1mm just like OEM. Only thing that might not work with Clarity wheels on a Tesla is not clearing the bigger brake kit on the Tesla.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Do the Tesla wheels work with the Honda lugnuts?

6. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Looks like Tesla is acorn (conical) and Honda is ball (semicircular)

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. rreyes

rreyes New Member

The lug nuts were the biggest pain in the butt for this whole thing. I ended up doing way too much research on lug nuts. Initially I bought some aluminum lug nuts because they were the only ones I could find with a 25mm diameter. Most conical lug nuts with an m12x1.5 thread have a 23mm diameter or smaller. The tesla wheels have a lug bolt hole that is wider since it uses an m14x1.5 lug nut. Wider hole means that a narrow lug nut will bottom out before making sufficient contact at the conical seat. I'm comfortable with the contact that the 25mm diameter lug nut makes on the wheel, but after some reading found out that the aluminum lug nuts might corrode the wheel stud. After days of research I found a lug nut that has the correct thread, is made of steel, and supposedly has a 28mm diameter. I say supposedly cause I haven't gotten them yet. They're arriving today. Down side to the lug nuts is that it uses a 22mm hex instead of the usual 19mm and they are open lug design so I needed to get some covers for it. If anyone is interested in doing the same thing, Let me know and I can post which lug nuts and center cap I ended up getting.

9. Roland Delacroix

Roland Delacroix New Member

Does the wider wheel cause any rubbing when you heel the front wheels all the way over?

10. rreyes

rreyes New Member

Haven't noticed any rubbing at full lock either way

11. Josh enviro

Josh enviro New Member

they look great, especially with that color. What size are the tires on it? are they plus sized 245/45's vs stock 235/45's? My wife keeps hitting pot holes and getting flat tires so I am looking into plus size 245/45's. Plan b would be run flats, but they tire store thought they would cause handling issues.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. rreyes

rreyes New Member

Tires are same size as stock. 235/45R18. Another option would be to go with a 17 inch wheel with a taller sidewall. I think I've seen another Clarity go that route. I ran 245/45s on my Accord and I much preferred having that taller sidewall. I'm not a fan of low profile tires.