Tesla Universal EVSE Connected, but 12V battery drained

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Demian Johnston, Oct 16, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Keanen

Keanen Member

Has anyone asked their Honda dealership if there is an update for our '18 models?

4. Here it is. IMG_3067.jpeg

insightman likes this.
  5. Keanen

Keanen Member

Does anyone have this update and is having the issue?

6. Keanen

Keanen Member

Maybe I'm reading the TSB incorrectly that they are simply saying to update the charger firmware?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It is an update what Honda has labeled “the battery charger software”.

Were you expecting something different?

9. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Remember the proper nomenclature... People get confused with this.

The "Charger" is always inside the vehicle.

What is typically mounted on the wall and has the cable that you plug into your vehicle is NOT a "Charger".
    It is properly referred to as the Electric Vehicle Support Equipment (or EVSE).

10. Keanen

Keanen Member

Yeah, I was thinking the wall charger. Thanks for the clarification. So, does this update fix the problem, has anyone done it?

11. MrFixit

This update has been available for quite a long time.
    This was not a 'recall' and Honda would only install this if an owner was having a problem.
    I think it got incorporated into the build of 'newer' Clarities at some point...

But - my understanding was that it was addressing public chargers that had poor power quality.
    It seems quite unlikely that it could be related to the problem you (and @Demian Johnston) have seen.

I doubt you would find any others who could relate this fix to whether it had any effect when using a Tesla EVSE.
    You two are the only ones I have ever heard of who have tried a Tesla EVSE with a Clarity so consider yourselves pioneers !

If trying to fix this is important to you, it would certainly be possible to go to Honda and request TSB 18-097.
    They should be able to tell whether your vehicle has it, and install it if you like.

Bottom line - I wouldn't hold my breath that this TSB would solve your problem, but if you tried it and still had the problem, then you can be more assured that the problem lies in the Tesla EVSE and you could continue with that angle.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Keanen

Keanen Member

Thanks again. I am pushing Tesla support. I opened a ticket with them and will follow up later next week. Tesla is pointing fingers back to Honda but I told Tesla that's unacceptable because my Honda has worked with many other 3rd party chargers.

When I spoke with Honda, it was going to be $90 for the update because I'm out of warranty. Sigh.

14. MrFixit

You might want to push back on Honda too because in my opinion, this falls under the "Hybrid System" which includes the Battery Charger and has a warranty of 8Y/100K miles or 10Y/150K miles depending on which state you live in.

I have attached the warranty document for reference.

Attached Files:

Keanen and insightman like this.
  15. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I’d bet pretty heavily that the Honda software update won’t help with the Tesla universal evse problem described here. The lectron Tesla to j1772 adapter has more hope as an alternative to the one Tesla provides. Probably still a shot in the dark, though.

MrFixit likes this.
  16. A safe bet, since the Honda TSB predates the introduction of the TUWC by about 4 years. The issue was also completely different, a failure to start charging or a premature termination of charging.

17. alexsahka

alexsahka New Member

I believe the issue lies with the Tesla Magic Dock (the adapter between Tesla Universal Wall Connector and J1772). I purchased a third-party Tesla to J1772 adapter, and it functions as intended, not producing any clicks after completing the Honda charging process. However, the Wall Connector detects (blue light) a vehicle connection even when the J1772 adapter is attached to the charger cable but not plugged into the car.

Eliminating the adapter from the Tesla Universal Wall Connector effectively eliminated the clicking sounds.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
    MrFixit likes this.
  18. alexsahka

alexsahka New Member

To evaluate the situation, I purchased the most affordable used option available on eBay, I paid $30 with shipping.

upload_2023-12-1_21-8-14.png
    upload_2023-12-1_21-12-10.png

MrFixit and Keanen like this.
  19. Technically, the “wall charger” is just a source of power. I occasionally refer to it as a fancy extension cord. The charger is onboard the vehicle. Honda would not know what sort of update a non-Honda EVSE would require, nor would the dealer have the ability perform such an update.

To my knowledge, it fixes the described problem as stated in the TSB.

20. Keanen

Keanen Member

Tesla pushed a new firmware to my charger and my car was charged and was able to go this morning. I will report back in a few days to see if it’s resolved for good or not.
    Thanks all for your help.

21. Keanen

Keanen Member

The version is 24.x. I cannot see the full version because it says "HEAD"

22. alexsahka

alexsahka New Member

If you know the IP address of your Tesla Universal Wall Connector on your network, you can monitor the number of contactor cycles by following these steps:

1. Navigate to http://ip_address/api/1/lifetime in your web browser, replacing ip_address with the actual IP address of your Wall Connector.
      upload_2023-12-2_12-44-32.png
    2. Check the contactor_cycles value before starting a charging session.

3. Check the contactor_cycles value again after the charging session is complete.

4. Observe whether the 'contactor_cycles' value increases rapidly. During abnormal operations, the 'contactor_cycles' value should increment by approximately one every +/- 70 seconds. In normal operation, it should increase by one after each charge completion.
      upload_2023-12-2_12-44-43.png

MrFixit and insightman like this.
  23. Keanen

Keanen Member

Doesn't look good considering this was all setup earlier this week, the cycles are very high

{"contactor_cycles":884,"contactor_cycles_loaded":1,"alert_count":150,"thermal_foldbacks":0,"avg_startup_temp":0.0,"charge_starts":884,"energy_wh":29033,"connector_cycles":8,"uptime_s":273314,"charging_time_s":25735}

I'll have to compare with time and I have a 1772/NACS adapter on the way to test as well.