AEB autonomous emergency braking

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by azausa, Aug 21, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. This topic might have been somewhere, but I can’t seem to locate it.

Not that we should try, for it might fail.

But has anybody tried or experienced the AEB of the SE?

Does it really work? I still trust my instincts and my right foot :)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I've had it brake for me once at a 4-way stop for no apparent reason. It was really annoying, so after that I turned the sensitivity down as low as it would go.

4. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

@chrunck how did you adjust the sensitivity? I've had mine randomly brake usually when the sun is low in the sky and there is glare.

I definitely have had mine freak out and tell me to hit the brakes when a car is slowly turning and I'm using the regenerative braking to slow down but my foot is off the brake pedal. Not often but it does happen.

5. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

It is not as comprehensive as other vehicles and there are a few formal tests you can look up. It really only claims to reduce the severity of frontal impact under good conditions for vehicles and pedestrians. Outright prevention is limited to situations you could handle yourself. Pedestrian detection is effectively non-existent in my experience. Vehicle side of things has a fair bit of false positives, though it's never taken action (unless I was in ACC.) Direct sun, rain, hills, turns, lane changes, people changing lanes in front of you - all fool the camera system really easily.

More modern systems actively prevent collision in multiple directions, even taking autonomous evasive maneuvers is relatively common and affordable these days. At the high end vehicles can do this in complete darkness, in bad weather, and detect things like large animals. We aren't talking about any of this on the latest generation of MINI, but maybe next?

6. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I pressed the safety system button above the center screen (the green one next to the hazard button) and adjusted it there.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CrazyLegs17

CrazyLegs17 New Member

9. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

In two years and 20,000 miles, I've only had one instance where the car actually applied the brakes (someone decided to turn left at the head of a long line of traffic going 55), and the car just barely braked before I did. This not to be confused with the warning beep (which is adjustable).

10. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

I'm not sure if this is common industry wide, but MINI touts their more "analog" crash and pre-crash response. Specifically related to your anecdote is priming the brakes for faster response time when it thinks stuff is about to go down. Paired with high regen it stops better than other cars I've owned.

11. I thought this was something that the SE will do and cannot be adjusted through a setting? I might be hugely wrong.

I do see the red car on the HUD when I think the SE senses a probable collision when turning or when approaching another car in front. There was one instance though when the red car came on and I sensed that the car in front was too close and I step on the brakes but I felt that the brakes was kind of more intense than usual and there was a sound of successive hard braking, or it could just be me

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

I've seen mine occasionally flash the red car and prime the brakes if I'm coming around a bend with parked cars, for instance. But I have pedestrian warning on and I've never seen it react in any way to a pedestrian or perceived pedestrian. I've also never noticed it truly apply the brakes.

14. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

I'm convinced it's not good enough to even be advertised. I rarely encounter these situations, but today had one that should have triggered it. City speed, city traffic, pedestrian being revealed quickly - a classic test for this sort of system.

This IIHS test of BMW X1 shows the old system (probably close to what we have) obliterating a pedestrian. The new version does a great job and is what people probably expect when you advertise "Pedestrian Collision Warning with City Collision Mitigation" in 2020+ vehicles.

15. xd366

xd366 New Member

i had it activate once. i was going down a hill to a stoplight, all while i was letting the regen do the breaking, and the mini did a sudden break within 5 feet of the car.

i was surprized since i wasnt going that fast