Clarity A/C problem (and warranty extension on pg 10)

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Benoit Paquette, Jul 25, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

I've had two condensers replaced already. First before the warranty extension but still under regular warranty (my crap dealer made us pay the full cost even though there was zero visible damage on the condenser. I appealed to Honda America after their bulletin on the manufacturer defect but they backed the dealer. After the second failure, I went to a different Honda dealer and they repaired it under warranty without issue even though we didn't buy our Clarity there.) and the second after. From your and others' experience, it looks like Honda didn't bother to fix the manufacturing issue and continues to produce defective condensers. I'm assuming that Honda determined that it's cheaper to just keep producing and replacing defective condensers for 10 years than to make good ones.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="From your and others' experience, it looks like Honda didn't bother to fix the manufacturing issue and continues to produce defective condensers.[/QUOTE]

I had a Honda Fit for five years - two cars before the Clarity - and it had one AC issue after the next: Valves went bad, compressor went bad, hoses went bad - you name it, it went bad. It was in the shop at least once a year for an AC-related problem. My 2018 Clarity, though, hasn't yet evidenced any AC issues...

4. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

Just picked up my Clarity and the AC is super cold now but agree there is a defect in the design of the condenser, however this time the tech detected a receiver pipe leaking and they replaced that too - part number: 80341-TRW- A01. Part number for the condenser: 80110-TRW-A02. There are other small parts with numbers but these are the two big ticket items.

Just for laughter: My backup camera is not working (this will be covered under my 8 year / 120,000 Honda care warranty). Camera alone is over $800, all in $933 for just that repair but the part is on back order. Part number not listed on the repair order yet but I was informed of the cost of the camera.

5. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Just curious... Technically, a dealer (maybe most dealers) would not cover the 'receiver pipe' because only the condenser is an acknowledged defect. I assume they didn't charge you for that, but perhaps that is because you have the 8/120K Honda Care?

6. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

Yes to be clear, I was not charged for the receiver pipe and assumed it was covered with the condenser cost but I just checked my invoice and now I see it was covered under the Honda Care warranty. So this may have been an out of pocket cost for the receiver pipe replacement if I didn't have the Honda Care.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. My 2018's AC just stopped working (may have been weak for some time). Have an appointment at my local dealer to look at it Monday.

Have had a ClarityShield on it for almost its entire life.

9. Roen

Roen New Member

Makes me glad I opted for the 10/100 extended warranty.

10. I have the Hondacare 8 year/80,000 (actually a 5 year I bought right before the 3 year expired). I presume your 10 year is an outside firm since Hondacare tops out at 8 years.

11. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

RE the warranty, I do know Honda specifically extended coverage (even if you didn't buy HondaCare), I believe for the condenser. Just the same, my dealer requires me to hold their feet to the fire even for the smallest thing. Short of it is I am also glad I bought the HondaCare. It's one less detail to have to argue with them about. i.e. if not covered by the warranty extension, or they want to claim some piece of it isn't, it makes that discussion better.

BTW: I do realize many in this forum report good relations with their local dealer. Good on you. It's not something someone in a smaller town can control-- which is my case. We only have one Honda dealer period, so like 'em, or hate 'em, it's all you get.

sabasc likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Roen

Roen New Member

Honda Plus, Honda Canada's 1st party warranty. We have 8/120 and 10/100 options. (listed as 8/200 and 10/160 for metric-inclined folks)

14. Do they still offer this? From their site it seems the same as the US limits (8 years, 200k km) https://www.honda.ca/en/honda-plus/extended-warranty

15. Roen

Roen New Member

There's a pdf on the bottom of the linked webpage.

Yes, I just bought the 10/160(100) this week.

16. Ah, see it there, but wow those prices. Are those the actual prices or the recommended? They look to be ~2.2x the US street prices.An 8 year 130k km is $2,948 canadian. I paid about $1000 US for the 8 year, 80k miles.

17. Roen

Roen New Member

Actual, unfortunately.

18. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I looked through my hondacare qoute when I got it in 2018. they only offer 8 years 100k or 120k miles in the US. Maybe Canada is different.

19. It does seem the Canada that has the 10 year. In the US we also have an 8-year 80,000, but it's not listed as that: it's 5 year [additional] 80,000 [total] that's available to cars that are still under warranty, so it becomes the eight year if you buy it right before your three year expires. That's what I did

20. And for those that are interested in the actual subject of this thread, the air conditioning: just got a call from my dealer, the condenser is leaking. They don't have one in stock but I should be able to get the car back in a few days (which is fine, I'm working from home this week).

21. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

This seems really nuts that these things keep failing, even after replacement. I wonder how long I have until one of the two Claritys in our family fails a condenser. I'm liking that we've made it this long (5 years), but I still wouldn't put money down that it won't happen.

22. Just for clarity (ha), I've never had a replacement. Mine is the original 2018 Condensor.

megreyhair and Robert_Alabama like this.
  23. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I am on my original one too. So far so good.