Adieu, farewell, goodbye - gone to EV6

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by KonaTom, Jun 19, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

Well, after a year and a half, I took delivery of my 2023 EV6 GT line AWD yacht blue, and traded in my 2019 Kona EV. Harris Kia in Nanaimo really tried to lowball me for the trade-in, my worst car buying experience.

So far I really like the EV6. It is so quiet, smooth and powerful, and handles very well. I get lots of looks, and challenges, as it looks like a muscle car, I guess. So far nobody has won a challenge with me. I must be going though an old-life crisis, I too old to be racing people, but its fun!!

No steering wheel torque when flooring it, not like the Kona. I actually prefer the Kona head-up display tech, to the augmented reality on the wind shield in the Ev6. It sits too high and can't be adjusted far enough down. The Kona was in perfect position IMO.

The tech is great, and I tried out V2L, by powering up various appliances and even a leaf blower, worked great. It didn't think I would like the memory seats, but its nice, and the seat moves back when you turn off the car or try to exit, so that make is easier to get out, especially if you are as old as me. Getting back in, the seat moves to your prefer position.

The charging rate is great. At a 50KW charger, it charges at 48KW right up to 96% without dropping down. At a 150 Kw charger it charges at 100-105 until 80%, then drops way down for a few minutes, then goes back up to 75 or so, to over 90%. Haven't tried any super fast chargers yet.

The 360 degree camera is nice, and the ability to control the car remotely is fun. I can back the car out of the garage by pressing a remote button, as long as I am fairly close to the car. My garage is tight as my wife's Kona EV is there too. If I have guests to ride in the EV6, the cars are too close together to get in the passenger side easily, so I impress them by backing it out first.

The entertainment system is similar to the Kona and not really better. I was disappointed that the tires were all-season, not all-weather, so they didn't have the M/S symbol, which means I will need winter tires to drive passes next winter.

I'll hang around this forum as my wife still has a Kona EV, but will spend most of my time at the EV6 forum. Good luck all.

Bruce M., Kirby34 and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Well at least you beat the upcoming Port strike in Vancouver.
    Enjoy your new car, maybe if I get the Volvo EX-30 (.1 seconds faster 0-60), I will take you up on that racing crave.:)

KonaTom likes this.
  4. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

May I ask what they gave you as a trade in Price.

5. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

They originally offered $28,000, and I know people are selling them in the 40's. It also only had 39,000 km and a nearly new traction battery that was replaced on the recall. I eventually got them up $5,000, but I did feel like I left 2-$4,000 on the table. Canadian black book said it had a value of 34 - 38,000, and that would be with a 4 year old battery. I just didn't want to wait another year or more.

Domenick, KonaAU and Wildeyed like this.
  6. glasseye

glasseye New Member

I just had the same experience. They saw me coming and knew I was keen to buy immediately.
    No way an old fart like me is willing to wait years for a new Kona. I could be dead by then. :)

It arrives next week. My first EV. Can't wait.

Domenick likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.