Two-Year Dealer Service: What Do They Do?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by F14Scott, Sep 17, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

To follow up on my last post: I just picked up my SE from its first two-year service. My rep said they had one tech trained to service the Mini SE, and the tech was surprised to see one finally come in. I was the first SE they have performed this service for. I guess that makes sense since mine was the first one sold in my area of SC. Hopefully, my SE gave the tech some nice variation in their work day!

They did the following:
    • M840322 Service Action: Programming the Telematics Control U: the rep said this was migrating from 3G service
    • M610123 Service Action: (12V) Battery Box Cover Replacement: they had to order the battery box cover
    • Brake fluid change - $0
    • Cabin microfilters replaced - 0$
    • Tire rotation at my request - $40
    With the TCU update, I did lose all of my settings except for CarPlay - it remembered my phone. I lost:
    • A few bimmercode changes
    • The height setting on my head-up display
    • All of my custom button assignments on the center console

SE_PDX, MichaelC, CrazyLegs17 and 3 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

Boy, it makes me mad when the dealer knows I'm coming to my appointment, knows there's a recall on my car that requires parts, but doesn't have the parts on hand or even ordered by the time I arrive, forcing me to come back a second time.

Qisl, Carsten Haase, SameGuy and 4 others like this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

When I got new summer tires last week I asked about this and it didn't show up for my 2021 SE. I wonder if it's for all 2022s or just a select group.

5. GvilleGuy

I suppose it wouldn't shock me if they are trying to apply a fix to my SE for an ICE recall. Maybe someone else with a 2022 can verify if they have had this done.

6. piflechien

piflechien New Member

Just had my two years service as well and they did

• M610123 Service Action: (12V) Battery Box Cover Replacement. Because with vibrations the cover can rub the electrical cable
    • Brake fluid change - $0
    • Cabin microfilters replaced - 0$
    • Wipers fluid replacement - 0$

I did the telematics update last year separately as they issued a recall for it.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

@piflechien reported in a post above that his/her 2-year service included "M610123 Service Action: (12V) Battery Box Cover Replacement. Because with vibrations the cover can rub the electrical cable."

One wonders whether a BEV like our MINI SE cars have so much in "vibrations" (compared with an ICE vehicle under the hood) that it "...can rub the electrical cable"?

Maybe it is appropriate to have this worry for an SE and, in any case, no harm -- no foul (they say).

GvilleGuy likes this.
  9. GvilleGuy

Thanks for verifying the battery cover!

10. CrazyLegs17

CrazyLegs17 New Member

I brought my SE to the dealer for the two year service yesterday. I was annoyed they didn't have the battery box cover on hand. They claimed it was a fairly new repair so they don't carry them yet.

I had a Countryman S loaner and it seemed HUGE. I was glad to get my car back today.

11. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I've been saying that for years!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I was pleasantly surprised to receive a call today from the local “dealership” reminding me that I need my two year service. Interesting, because I did not purchase my SE from this dealership. At the time, 2 years ago, the local MINI dealer said that they did not believe in electric cars and would not be selling the SE. So, I was forced to acquire my SE from a Phoenix dealership.

Dealership is in quotes because a year ago the local dealer quit selling MINI’s altogether. So, what do you call a MINI “dealer” who doesn’t sell cars? Is this decision to only be a service center happening in other markets? This is not the way to grow the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

14. CrazyLegs17

CrazyLegs17 New Member

I didn't lose any settings which makes me wonder if they really did the telematics control unit reset/update. Is there a way to check the software version and does anyone know what the updated version is?

The report also indicates they set all the tires to 35 PSIG during the rotation. They were all at 32 PSIG when I checked yesterday. I have a strong sense that the dealership is unfamiliar with the SE.

15. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    My door jamb sticker says 38/35 psi.

CuriousGeorge likes this.
  16. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Must have thought it was the ICE version, or at least that the pressures are supposed to be the same. That wouldn't explain the report, though, which doesn't match either the SE or the S.

About 25 y ago, a shop put 70 series instead of 60 series tires on my Civic Si, thinking it was a non-Si. The car was noticably squirrellier to drive, but I initially chalked it up to the tires I had picked, because it simply didn't occur to me that someone could make such a silly mistake. Only after I drove the 50 miles of interstate home did I discover the error. I then got to make another 100 mile round trip and waste half a day so they could fix their error.

Last edited: May 21, 2023
  17. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

Was this the Kia dealership (or whatever it was) down on 22nd? I went there a couple times around 2014 shortly after they switched over to MINI, and wasn't terribly impressed, but maybe that was just growing pains. Moved to the other side of the country within a year, so I never saw if they got any better... but I can say it took about 3 years to fall off their email list.
    -------
    edit: Looking through the google street view image history, I guess they never did get any better. They've got more used shitboxes on the lot than MINIs from 2015 on.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2023
  18. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Yes, that’s it.

I’m not sure they can make a living as a MINI service center only. And, they certainly won’t make it as an SE service center once MINI goes all electric.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

19. endquote

endquote Active Member

Did my two-year service at Mini of Marin today.
    • tried to diagnose squeaky seat, but of course it didn't happen on a test drive
    • battery cover replacement
    • "3G sunset" - this apparently takes 4 hours
    • brake fluid
    • filter replacement
    Software update
    • before
    • telephone: TT-002.156.007
    • media: MT-002.156.007
    • I-level: F056-21-2-579
    • after:
    • telephone: TT-002.174.001
    • media: MT-002.174.001
    • I-level: F056-23-7-570

My tires were rotated front-to-back because my front ones were at 4/32. Is that normal at ~9000 miles?

Some settings were preserved, some not. Shortcut buttons were gone, but phone pairings were saved. Having a hard time setting the charge in time slot up again. Gas stations show on the map which I think didn't before.

All Bimmercode settings were gone, and it wouldn't let me restore from backup, so I went through all those again.

Also there is now a persistent and annoying creaking sound coming from the dash/windshield area. :(

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
    xd366 and SE_PDX like this.
  20. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I have on my summer Hankooks 9400 miles but I’m not so often on highways speed and they should last for me next 10000 miles with my spirited driving but I rotated them at 5000 miles what is critical to keep them inflated to factory specifications specially in your warm /hot climate .Most states not aloud to drive with 2/32” but yours 4/32” already lost ability to stop in wet weather due to shallower grooves and sipes .

endquote likes this.