Tracked down my Clarity I traded in

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by LegoZ, Apr 6, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

CFBrand3rd likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. What was the trade in/selling price?

4. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

$19,400 to Tesla
    The best I could find was about $21k without taking it somewhere or trying private party. Part of the reason I didn’t want to go private party though is because it wouldn’t be eligible for the tax credit so in theory if someone can get the Steeler down to 25,000 it should be eligible for the $4000 used car tax credit if they are in under the stupid income limits.

5. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

This makes me sad though:
    IMG_1447.jpeg

CHARGE THE CAR UGH!!! lol

turtleturtle and Daniel M W like this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Given the choice, I’d rather see the vehicle price cap removed. “Clean air vehicles” that sold, or are selling, for $50K-$100K, won’t be on the market for less than $25K at the 3 year mark.

This could all be by design, but I’m convinced that the people who design these programs aren’t very good at designing these programs.

turtleturtle likes this.
  8. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

I don’t disagree. I also do not agree with the lower income limits for used vehicles versus new EV purchases.

9. It could be that one objective was to discourage well heeled individuals from buying cheap used cars and reaping the benefits of a taxpayer subsidy, when they should be stimulating the economy by purchasing more expensive, new cars. That, however, would require a level of insight that is clearly lacking in the group that tends to get elected to important positions.

More likely, it’s a “Look what I did for you lower income folks, don’t forgot to vote for me next time and I’ll be sure you get more free stuff” type of thing. That’s the Hokey Pokey.

rodeknyt and LegoZ like this.
  10. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

I’m 50/50 on it I want people in cars with plugs so if a used clarity will do that and they drive on watts I’m fairly happy. On the flip there is something to say about making used cars more affordable but the under 25k is pretty low especially for full EVs but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I didn’t write the law. There will be a BUNCH of deals to be had on used Nissan Leaf’s I bet though. It also sucks that they have to be bought from a dealer though. That will inflate most prices 2-3 grand on many of the cars.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. As long as they have a place to plug in and don’t knock someone’s CPAP offline. We’re already having grid problems and our electric delivery system has set millions of acres ablaze, destroyed thousands of homes and killed dozens, if not hundreds, of people. That’s just in the past few years and it’ll happen again this summer. Our hunger for electricity has some significant, negative impacts, that are frequently ignored.

I’d like to see the EV tax credit made conditional on the vehicle buyer installing 10,000 watts of solar and a 30kWh battery at their home.

Finally, I’d never consider what type of vehicle someone else owns, or how they choose to operate it, as a basis for determining my level of happiness. That just seems like a recipe for being miserable.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Apartment dwellers who don't even have home access to an EVSE would not appreciate that qualification.

14. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

That, and it’s simply not needed when charged at night especially those with a private home, EVs will actually help support the Energy Market, and demand off-peak. And when paired with Smart EVSE can even respond to grid demand to curtail or start charging. Demand response and dispatchable demand can go along way and stabilizing the grid versus the stabilizing. Yes, it requires things to be done right but that can be handled via pricing schemes. Most supply issues with electricity happen during peak demand periods versus overnight hours at least here in Texas.

15. Then they can pay to have 10,000 watts and some batteries installed on a solar farm.

16. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

They already pay in the form of their utility bills. So what you’re saying here is you expect people to not only buy the product but then additionally, pay extra money, so the company can build more products that they have to pay for when delivered. All the while creating additional demand that would spur additional investment in the infrastructure anyway to support the increase in demand at a time that denand historically the lowest (at night).

This would be akin to everyone that buys a gas car paying to drill a new oil well, build a new refinery, buy additional trucks to haul that gasoline to the gas station, and build new gas stations.

17. It may not be needed right now, when EV’s represent such a low percentage of vehicles, and virtually none of the long haul trucks, on the road. How many EV’s are V2G ready in the US? Are you willing to take one for the team and feed your vehicle’s stored energy into the grid, subjecting the battery to additional charge cycles? What do you get in return? What if the vehicles arrive home and have little to no energy remaining in the battery?

It will also be necessary to get people to agree to the “pricing schemes”. The TOU plans available to us are terrifying compared to our flat rate, net metering plan. The power companies don’t want us to be their partner. They want to make a buck. I’m not sure what came of it, but some power companies in CA (DWP in LA, for one) were proposing a $75/mo fee for customers who installed solar panels on their homes. Thanks for helping out.

Besides the push for EV’s, the great minds are also pushing for people to convert their gas appliances and heating systems to electric appliances and systems. Those heat pumps are going to use 3000 watts when they’re running, compared to 300 watts for a blower in a gas furnace. And they run quite a bit at night. Most will be equipped with 10K or 15K heat strips that are utilized below 35F and when defrosting. Full power, Scottie.

Meanwhile, these clowns are tripping over themselves to provide exemptions to Amazon and Intel, so they won’t have to comply with clean energy regulations if they’ll just build data centers and chip factories here in Oregon. Additionally, they’re modifying state land use regulations as they deem necessary and offering property tax exemptions. They also just ram-rodded a 300 mile transmission line project through, despite objections from private landowners and environmental groups, but they won’t approve a LNG pipeline when the same folks object. Don’t worry, little guy, we’re here for you.

Power can go out in Texas when it’s cold, and in the western 1/3 if the country it can be out day or night during fire season or whenever the wind blows. Throw in a cyber attack or take a shot at a sub-station and you’re left in the dark.

rodeknyt likes this.
  18. No, I’m not saying that.

I’m suggesting that if they are going to purchase a product that will put an increased demand on the power grid, they should take measures to offset that additional consumption, or generate their own energy and store it, to use as they see fit.

The power flows at night, in large part, by burning fossil fuels. If that makes an EV owner feel good about their choices, that’s just dandy. Such a practice, however, just increases the carbon footprint of their zero emissions vehicle.

19. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

That should be the choice of the individual. The utility is there to supply a service. More people using more overall is a good thing for them long term. Arizona does incentivize lowering peak demand during peak times with demand charges but those are gross imo.

Power goes out in Texas in the cold due to insufficient regulation to level the playing field causing little incentive to spend money to keep gas flowing and cold weather turbines. If you company spends millions to weatherize and no one else does and bad things don’t happen then your competition can undercut your price and you will lose customers and eventually go out of business.

Don’t get me wrong if you can afford solar and batteries and it makes sense for you definitely go for it. I have 18.5kw of solar and 54kWh of storage.

20. It would be the individuals choice. Accept the tax credit, install the panels. Otherwise, no tax credit. It wouldn’t be mandatory.

Of course it’s good for a company to sell more product. The power companies will become the new oil companies. Everyone who goes all-in on electric will be at their mercy. They’ll sing the same song, “Can’t meet demand, equipment is off-line for maintenance, had to send some juice to Tucumcari.” And they’ll get approval for rate increases whenever they ask.

Or, maybe we’ll all just get abundant, free electricity for life? It could happen.

21. CFBrand3rd

CFBrand3rd New Member

Quick question: How have you been tracking it? I mean, what sort of signal is the car sending out that you can track it?

I bought an ‘18 Touring two weeks ago and what I’d read on forums seemed to suggest cellular connectivity, but I find nothing about it in the manuals and AT&T says it’s not equipped for connectivity.

My HondaLink app only gives me info from the car when the car is near; say, when I’m plugging it in.

Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs