Two-Year Dealer Service: What Do They Do?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by F14Scott, Sep 17, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

I'm almost at two years, so I'm beginning to think about Jessie's first service. Has anyone done it? What did they do at that service, and what was the charge, please?

Also, my original tires, Hankook Ventus S1 evo3 205/45R17s, are on their last legs; they'll probably hit the wear bars at around 30,000 miles. Anyone have experience with the dealer's selling tires? Usually, I use Discount Tire for the free rotations, but I also like the idea of having a dealer alignment at the same time new tires are installed, especially given my previous draggy tire issue: https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/tires-summer-winter-all-season.9496/page-7#post-117869

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

See my two-year service post. Not much, basically brake fluid and cabin filter. The two-year service is under warranty, charge should be $0 (mine was).

As for tires, I've had good experience buying tires through the dealer and it might be easier to find the OEM tires in the right size through them. When I've compared prices between dealer and other places, it's usually within 10% or so. And my dealer includes free rotations.

F14Scott and MichaelC like this.
  4. F14Scott

Ahh, cool. I had missed your other post (obviously). :D

5. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Wattson recently had their two-year service, so I can corroborate @Puppethead's report. And when I went back a couple days later to get a couple windshield chips patched, they performed this TCU software update:

Recall M840222 - Programming the Telematics Control Unit - 3G Sunset

As for tires, I also agree that the dealership may be your best bet for OE-spec tires (which have proven very difficult to find via North American third parties). If you are on your dealership's mailing list, keep an eye out for the occasional "buy 3, get 1 free" offers.

F14Scott likes this.
  6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

@Puppethead and @MichaelC are all wet. After I called in early August to schedule my 2-year service (and the earliest appointment I could get was October 6th), Motor City MINI sent me a notice telling me what they planned to do with my MINI Cooper SE:
    upload_2022-9-17_18-51-4.png

I'm surprised they aren't adding your blinker fluid, too!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Bring your ACE car for that service if is no difference to them you drive EV Mini Cooper SE

9. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

My dealer service in February 2022 when I was complaining about charging problem was seeing my SE first time in a dealer service and they did nothing to solve a problem bc no dealer care about EVs they send me to DC charging stations

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  10. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

The head mechanic at my dealer went to a special multi-day course on SE maintenance (and he's been working on Mini's for more than 20 years). He made the dealership buy a charger (and the appropriate wiring) just for the shop. I have every confidence that when my scheduled service comes, he'll do everything required, and correctly as well. I read about your adventures, and I thank my stars.

wessy likes this.
  11. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I wonder if that’ll speed up connectivity at all. I remember when I got my iPhone 6s Plus and got rid of a three year old Android, the new phone had trouble locking on to LTE/4G, and would hunt so much that it slowed everything down and chewed the battery; my XS Plus never had an issue staying on LTE, while my 12 Pro Max hunts all the time again (5G is really weak both around my home, and near work).

F14Scott and Matt007b like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ghost

ghost Active Member

Rotate the air in your tires?

14. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

How about a radiator flush?

insightman likes this.
  15. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    There’s a thread in MINIf56 asking for opinions on purchasing a service contract from the dealership for a new SE; apparently in the UK BMW/MINI doesn’t include three years of scheduled maintenance. A four year contract is £250 (~$285) and up, which I tried to explain seemed expensive to me (for an EV), for what amounts to little more than $40 of cabin filters and (perhaps) $40 of brake fluid, along with a quick superficial inspection and maybe an hour of labor (total over two visits) at a certified dealership.

16. We had ours done yesterday. The "telematics control unit 3G sunset" which updated to 4G ,I assume. All my settings were wiped out. Even the key lost my name for it. Spent a while going through all the vehicle, lighting, interior lighting, system settings again. I suppose it was a good thing to familiarize myself with the menu again. Didn't notice anything new. When they said I was getting a software update I imagined flying cars or at least an easter egg. Also no merch SE specific at the dealer. It would be nice if they would highlight what's new in the online manual updates too.

F14Scott likes this.
  17. F14Scott

I forgot to review my service. Clear Lake MINI (in Houston).

I rolled in at my appointed time, 0730 last Friday morning. The service advisor, upon hearing I was there for my 2-year service, asked me "Just an oil change then?" Ugh. I had to restrain myself from ordering the oil change, a radiator flush, ATF flush, and a new serpentine belt.

I told them I wanted the SE services' included cabin air filter, brake fluid flush, and alignment. They refused a free alignment, which is fine, I suppose, since I plan on buying one when I replace the tires in about 5K miles. They also did the 3G to 4G firmware flash, which took forever. The whole service took 5 hours; they said the flash was the slow part and differed from car to car; sometimes it goes fast and sometimes it takes a long time. I don't know if I believe them. They also washed the car for me. Zero dollars cost to me.

Overall, I was underwhelmed, but it sure has been nice not needing any service for two years and 25,000+ miles.

insightman, SameGuy and MichaelC like this.
  18. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

These cars were shipped with 3g? Did the latest ones ship with 4g from the factory? If so what was the switchover date?

19. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Did you ask how your brake pads are wearing just of curiosity bc they should last 100000 miles not like on my Subaru Forester after 17000 miles which is strange my REAR pads wear out which as I drive 52 years that happens to me first time ever usually the rear last twice longer than front.Talk to dealer they admit everyone have a problem with rear pads on Foresters.Change myself in 1 hr. For $40 with life time warranty from auto parts store.On BMW I 3 dealer was changing my wipers for free

20. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I just called to schedule my 2-year service. The rep put me on hold for 10 minutes, came back and said "it looks like there are two recalls for your SE":
    • Programming update (maybe sunset 3G?)
    • Battery Box Cover recall - inspect and order replacement if needed
    EDIT: The confirmation email from the dealer came back with more detail:

Recall Services:
    M840322 Service Action: Programming the Telematics Control U - 0084150200 -

(I found this summary for 840322 on another forum) Summary: Due to a production error, the telematics control units were delivered without an IMS configuration. The Connected Drive voice services (Concierge Call, MINI Assistance and emergency call voice) can no longer be used regionally in the US

M610123 Service Action: (12V) Battery Box Cover Replacement - 0061520700

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
  21. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Do those show for you on the MINI Safety and Emissions Recalls page? My 2021 SE doesn't show any recalls, but I'm curious about the 12 V batty cover, is that just a 2022+ issue? I'm going in for new summer tires soon so I'll ask service about that.

22. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

If you live in an area with winter you should do a brake service once a year. Clean the pad contact points etc.
    Lots of basic maintenance on the SE is DIY.. cabin filtre, lube door hinges and locks. Grease sunroof assembly.

We had someone called with a Ioniq 5 at work and asked if we could do some coolant flush. So I looked up if anything was due on the SE and nothing is listed as far as I could tell. But Hyundai/Kia list it at like 60000km

23. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Nope. I checked my VIN on that same page and nothing shows up.