Next-gen Mini Cooper SE caught undisguised

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Domenick, Apr 3, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

That's why I said cubic space was an inadequate measurement for dog fit. If the front-to-back interior length is shorter but the floor-to-roof is bigger it could be more volume but less dog comfort space.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

It looks to me like the J01's windshield is further forward than the F56's windshield. If the seats are also closer to the front of the car, then there will be more dog-space.

4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I was about to say that the hood appears shorter, and the packaging of the drive unit likely allows that

5. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

... but since the windshield is laid back more, the leading edge of the roof could be in the same place, and then if you assume that the driver's seat is in roughly the same place relative to the roof, then...

Guess we will all have to wait and see. (However, I did just tell my wife that I need to start putting money aside for when I swap my 2023 for a 2028 JCW...E?)

6. I've gone over the images several times, and I can't help but feel like the new one has its nose cut off, while the current one has a ring around it, enhancing it. Perhaps the transition from the hood to the nose? Could be the images however, or perhaps it's just me.

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

The clamshell bonnet is gone for more front bumper crash and safety. BMW made the change back in 2008 for the F01 7 Series and people were upset!

9. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Two cents:
    • I think the front end still honors the Mini SE heritage enough, although it looks like it has bangs without the clamshell
    • I think the side looks a bit plain
    • I'm not a fan of the taillights, although the rest of the back end screams MINI!
    • I worry about the unconfirmed interior styling going away from Mini circular theme

SameGuy likes this.
  10. SameGuy

YUL
    If the toggles go away I will be waiting for the eGolf

GvilleGuy likes this.
  11. insightman

The 2021 Twitter photos showed at least one big circle besides the steering wheel:
    upload_2023-4-5_15-20-14.png

GvilleGuy and teslarati97 like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

What makes you think VW's ID.2all will have toggles? Here's the ID.3's dash:
    upload_2023-4-5_15-25-49.png

You'll probably never see the eGolf replacement one on this continent--they'd have to make it here for it to be affordable and they're too busy making ID.4s for the crossover-besotten Americans.

SameGuy likes this.
  14. teslarati97

Circling back to the Dec 10, 2021 leak by MotoringFile the design is very similar but there was no moonroof on the most recent spy shot in LA.

15. SameGuy

YUL
    I don’t need toggles in a Golf! I appreciate VWs’ businesslike, pragmatic design. Having owned several, if a future eGolf maintains the VW character, that’s all I need.

16. CuriousGeorge

And toggles.

17. SameGuy

YUL
    Schaefer said the 2all isn’t likely to come to North America. I haven’t heard similar for the next eGolf due some time in 2027 or beyond.

18. CuriousGeorge

Moonroofs in only 2 out of 4 of those prototypes as well.

Extra cost option? Only in the JCWE?

ETA: the most-used toggles in my SE are 1) the "ignition" (really? did nobody think to fix that while adapting the ICE F56?) and 2) the moonroof. So far the rest are really only there for show (and/or to show off to passengers by switching to Sport mode and hitting the accelerator...yeah, it doesn't change how quickly the car will accelerate, but THEY don't know that).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
  19. teslarati97

Maybe. What I am more interested in is if they implement the shy tech of BMW Vision iNEXT and Vision Next 100.

The dashboard looks like it's woven jacquard so there could be a touch interface underneath.

20. insightman

Last December, Green Car Reports suggested a 2026 return for the eGolf, but then the ID.2all appeared, which is not much smaller than a Golf. Would VW make both?

21. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

There’s also been some interior spy shots of the Countryman, and it looks like very similar design language. That big shroud around the central display is supposedly not part of the design (so it’ll be more like what’s shown in the photo you shared), but you can see the (fewer number of) toggles and “retro” turn-key start/stop (ewww).

[​IMG]
    From here:
    https://www.motoringfile.com/2023/03/27/the-u25-2025-electric-mini-countryman-range-performance-revealed/

22. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

If you paint the wheel arches on an F56 or even an older Mini, it really makes it look like the new version.
    one.jpeg

two.jpeg

three.jpeg

four.jpeg

GvilleGuy and Akanaten like this.
  23. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I've always hated the painted wheel arch look.