Comma.ai coming later this week.

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Tek_Freek, Mar 8, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I spent a lot of time (a LOT) researching what it takes to add Comma.ai to my Clarity. I was ready to give up because the information required to understand what is needed is not very easy to find. Fortunately I found someone in the Facebook forum that helped me.

It was still a PITA because where he directed me for information was Discord and that place is a disaster as far as I'm concerned. I kept pestering him with questions because, again, the required information is not easy to track down. He is a very patient man because, as I found out the next day, his Clarity had just been rear-ended. Man is a saint.

I ordered a Comma2 and a kit to connect it to the Clarity. The kit is built by an employee of Comma.ai so he knows what he is doing. I was looking at the Comma3 unit, but the man on FB said there's (currently) not much of an improvement over the Comma2. The price, however, goes up $1,200.00 for the Comma3.

Comma2 $999 https://comma.ai/shop

Conversion kit $514.80 https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSciSyYBeVmM39SASNSiDQUmUdAduKTcb055ljf7P9SSuwR2lQ/viewform

The code you install on the unit for the Clarity: https://github.com/vanillagorillaa/openpilot/tree/clarity_0.8.12 Click on the green code icon.

Installing software:

I'll report back when I'm in the midst of the installation. And if I find any problems following the videos.

Daniel M W likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

What is your intended benefit?

4. We are driving from Las Vegas to Williamsburg, VA later this year - moving. We are 74 years old. I'd like this trip and future long trips to be less tiring. Comm.ai will do a lot of the work.

5. Frankwell

Frankwell Active Member

When I was reading about it on discord, I think about a year ago, someone had just come up with a fix for a limitation with the Clarity mod. I'm sorry I wish I could remember the particulars, but if I remember correctly it had something to do with a problem specific to Clarity that if you don't plug in the head unit (the part with the camera) then you get a warning message on the dash, and I think it may have even caused a problem I'm not sure, maybe it was just the warning message. Some people remove the head unit when they leave their car parked, and they don't always plug it back in if they don't plan to use it right away. It was something like that. A guy who did not actually work for comma.ai but was involved with them had just created a circuit card that could be added which fixed this, he sold it for a hundred bucks or something including installation, and the way they were doing it was if you ordered your comma.ai a certain way they would ship it to him first, he would install the add on card, then ship it to you. If you had already received your unit then you had to ship it to him to do the mod. I'm really sorry I don't remember the particulars but it seemed like people on discord were quite happy that he came up with a fix for whatever it was. I happened to be reading this just a few weeks after he came up with it so it's quite possible they now have a different procedure for it, or maybe the additional card is added now by comma.ai, I have no idea. I realize it may be hard to find postings on this, but since you have been researching it for a long time maybe you already know what I am talking about.

Also you probably noticed that they are very strict on the discord channel about not asking dumb questions, people have even been banned for doing it repeatedly. I know that seems harsh but these are hackers and they are glad to help if someone has demonstrated that they have already researched (and where they researched, either within the discord channel, the manual, or elsewhere) and then presents a clear, well thought out question. Falling short of that, well you may not get a response. Or you'll get answers from people who don't really know, meanwhile the person who could have actually answered the question goes right past it if the question wasn't clear enough on first reading.

They even recommended that you read a document titled "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way" by Eric Steven Raymond. Search Google and you will find the document several places. I found it an interesting read, some good insight into how to improve your chances of getting someone who is extremely knowledgeable and also very busy, to do you a favor and take a few minutes of their time to give you free advice and answer a question, when they don't have to. Of course most people probably think that's just nonsense, just ask your question. Sure, can do that also, but if it's critical to get an accurate answer from the right person, on a forum that is a mix of knowledgeable hackers and people who don't know what they are talking about, it could be worth the time to take the extra steps.

6. I highly recommend you overcome your aversion to Discord if you are installing a Comma2 into a Clarity. I've had one now for the past year and a half or so and I also installed the Vanilla Gorilla mod when it came out. The system works wonderfully and is a dramatic improvement over the stock LKAS and ACC. But you will need the help of the folks on the comma_clarity channel at Discord so best to be familiar with the site and the people on it and have a positive attitude about it. There are resources there you will not find anywhere else.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I agree. What I have is a poster on FB that has helped guide me through Discord. He has a channel (right term?) there and has given me links to videos. VanillaGorillaa (He makes the adapter) also has links to videos for installing.

And I think that by following the links to information they've given me it's going to be easier than it used to be. The videos walk you through the installation of hardware and software with easy to follow directions. I'm feeling confident that it will go smoothly. I'd imagine that a year and a half ago information was harder to find.

And I may be deluding myself. I'll know this weekend. Parts are arriving Thursday and Friday.

9. This would be the man on Facebook that did exactly that. He has a channel on Discord and helped me through it.

10. meooem222

meooem222 New Member

Can't wait for the updates Tek!

11. I just got an email from USPS and it looks like both items will be here Friday. My Saturday is planned now. If it all goes right it should take 1 1/2 hours max. The most time consuming is dismantling a good portion of the dash to connect one of the components then the fun of putting it all back together.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. And now delivery is tomorrow. Quicker when you live close to the source.

14. Sorry for the delay. It has been crazy here.

I am mostly done. I received everything except a USB cable so that slowed things down. The equipment is in the car, but not connected yet. I bought a USB cable (USB C to USB C) to test that everything worked correctly, but it's 39 inches long. The only one I could find in Las Vegas. One of the vendors (obviously a good person) is sending one even though he thought Comma should have. Kudos to a good businessman.

I am almost finished with the write up but I am trying to find someone who has done this using a Mac so I can add an addendum for Mac if needed. So far I've not found anyone. {foot tapping}.

Domenick likes this.
  15. Turned it over to someone who is very familiar with the process for proof reading. Still no help with Mac. :(

16. Bravo1231

Bravo1231 New Member

Did you ever do this write up?

17. Bravo1231

Bravo1231 New Member

Great instructions thanks! Did you ever do the torque mod?

18. No. I don't want to get into doing that

19. Bravo1231

Bravo1231 New Member

Sounds good I’ll try it stock first too see how it works. Thanks for the instructions!

20. I have the Comma 2 with the 3x torque mod. I find it to be very worthwhile. No problem trying stock first, but essentially stock is the same your current LKAS.