Mini SE not charging with Tesla Tap or Lectron

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Proratta, Dec 21, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Proratta

Proratta New Member

I have a 2022 SE and have tried both the Lectron 48amp and the Tesla Tap mini 60amp on different Tesla Level 2 charges but no luck. The dash seems to know something is happening but (displays the charge %) but no charging happens and small light by the charging port doesn't light up at all. Any suggestions from this awesome community? Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

It might be obvious, but first thing is to make sure the charge mode is set to "charge immediately" and there's no climatize on departure time set. The behavior sounds like the SE could be waiting for the charge window or departure time. But if it works fine on a J1772 connector I've got no other ideas.

4. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Are you waiting at least 30 seconds between plugging the adapter into the Tesla charger and then plugging it into your SE?

My understanding is that you need to wait about 30 seconds for the Tesla charger to stop communicating in "Tesla protocol" so it can start talking in "J1772 protocol" in order for it to actually communicate with your SE to negotiate the charging session. So the process should be:
    1. Plug the Tesla-to-J1772 adapter into the Tesla Level 2 charger.
    2. Wait 30 seconds.
    3. Plug the adapted charger handle into your SE.

Louis W and SameGuy like this.
  5. Proratta

Proratta New Member

Thanks for this. It charges right away when plugged into any J1772 station. I'm starting to wonder if it's just the Tesla stations in my building. Maybe they are all set to charge Teslas only which I've read is a possibility.

6. Proratta

Proratta New Member

Thanks. I have followed this process for both adapters. With the Tesla Tap the Tesla charger actually turns blue when I attach the Tesla Tap adapter so it knows that it's there. I wait 30 seconds and then plug it into the Mini but nothing happens.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. amtrucker22

amtrucker22 New Member

I have a Tesla HPWC set at 48 amps and have not had any issues with my 2023 SE. This is the only way my SE has charged (22 sessions). Mine is the first gen wall charger.

9. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

I have the same TeslaTap Mini 60a and a '22 - no issues here. If it's a new TeslaTap Mini it could be extremely tight - is it fully seated on both ends?

The only time something similar happens is if the MINI has been parked for a day or two before I plug in - I have to open the door for it to start charging (happens with any EVSE.)

10. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I only tested my adapter one time a year or so back. The first hotel I went to had 4 or 5 tesla chargers, and none of them worked with my adapter. I then tried a different location with a tesla charger and it worked right away. So it could be a little 'hit or miss' on the EVSE hardware.

11. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Lectron 48A user here. So far 100% success rate on a 2022 SE including destination chargers (V2) and home chargers.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Proratta

Proratta New Member

Thanks for this! At least now I know it isn't the Mini preventing things from working and it's more likely the Tesla chargers in my building. Do you also ever have to 'open the door' to get things working sometimes? I haven't tried that yet but pretty convinced at this point I need to go find another public Tesla charger in town and try it out.

14. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

It generally works just fine by plugging in the adapter to NACS for 15-30 seconds then into the J1772 receptacle.

I haven't tried a Gen 1 destination charge (brushed aluminum w/ LED indicator) but Gen 3 destination charger also worked fine for me as well (no LED indicator).

15. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

The newer L2 tesla chargers default to Tesla only.. But they can also be set to don't care.
    Ask your building to either install J1772 EVSEs, or change the Tesla chargers to 'don't care'...

16. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Hello,
    You’ve probably already done this, but you need to make sure the max amps of your adapter are correctly matched to the amp output of the wall charger. (I had to get a second adapter with a higher amp output, to work with what my home wall charger was delivering.)

I have a Gen 2 Tesla wall charger, and the amps delivered will vary, depending on the size of the electrical circuit it is connected to. I thought I had a 30 amp circuit. But it turns out I have two 40 amp circuits to my wall charger. (The installation was done by an electrician sanctioned by my building, and I didn’t know the specifics of what was installed, until I tried to use the charger with an adapter for an SE.)

I understand that the Gen 3 Tesla wall charger can be set to either Tesla only, or Teslas and other vehicles. So you might also need to determine which Tesla wall charger you are trying to connect to.

Also, I understand that Tesla now offers a Tesla wall charger with a J1772 connector. So maybe you could swap out for one of those.

hope you’ve gotten this resolved by now, but I thought I’d reply, since it took about 6 weeks for me to sort things out with my wall charger.

17. pictsidhe

A charger should be on its own circuit or shared intelligently, if recently installed. Two circuits for.one unit is an illegal kludge. Breaker and cable rating must be 25% larger than the current the EVSE is set to supply. Many if not most, EVSEs can be tweaked for different current limit. Tesla's EVSEs can be set. Make sure it is set for 32A max to avoid a fire hazard on a 40A circuit. A gen2 wall should really be on a single 100A circuit to avoid someone changing it to 80A and overloading the circuit. Minis as well as Model 3s max out at 32A. I went bigger for possible thirstier cars down the line.
    I have a cheap Tesla to J1772 adaptor that doesn't work. I also have a j1772 extension cable. At some point I'll rewire the adaptor to be the same as the extension cable.

Last edited: May 22, 2023
  18. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

I wonder if "two 40 amp circuits" is just a misinterpretation of this:
    [​IMG]

19. pictsidhe

Maybe. But a Tesla gen 2 EVSE is 80A... 3g wire is a lot harder to pull than 2x 8g. That's assuming no other factors bumping up cable size.
    I've seen way too much bad wiring by 'professionals' to assume the best.