Rear Shock Leak - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Chris Alemany, Jun 30, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 73,000km - Just went in for a regular checkup and they reported a leaking right rear shock. I’m just a week out from our cross Canada trek so it’s a bit of a worry. Any thoughts on OEM vs other options for replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. After a chat with the Nanaimo dealer and a couple shops we're going to let it be and fix it upon our return. Not my first choice, but given that it's under warranty and the part is apparently nowhere to be found, there is not much other choice!

KiwiME likes this.
  4. Anyone have recommendations on good Hyundai service dealers close to Toronto? I’m considering using one of our free days out there to have the shocks replaced.

5. Not sure where your travels might take you but Lauria Hyundai in Port Hope (45 minutes from Toronto) has been good and responsive for me.

6. Thanks for that. Points in Toronto proper or just south toward Mississauga/Niagara. Or possibly the one in Woodstock. anyone have any experience with them?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Did some Google Review searching and made an appointment at Kingscross Hyundai in Scarborough. They were intrigued by the story. They said I’ll be lucky if the parts come in even by then (2.5 weeks) but we’ll just give it a shot!

One thing’s for sure, if the shocks do come in in time and they get them done in a day, they’ll be getting a 5 star review!

9. I admit to having approximately zero car knowledge but aren't shocks just....shocks?
    Aren't they standard, off the shelf parts? Why the trouble with sourcing them?

10. Normally yes, but because it’s only a 2019 there actually aren’t any/many “after market” shocks readily available yet for the Electric. If you go to somewhere like NAPA auto parts and look for shocks specifically for the Kona Electric nothing comes up. So at this point the best place to go is Hyundai. And it’s also under warranty only if done at Hyundai with Hyundai parts.

11. Unless the oil is actually dripping on the ground I doubt the delay will matter as there will be a small, built-in reserve.

Kirk and Chris Alemany like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. That has definitely been the consensus from all professionals and non-professionals alike which has helped the stress level. :) 70,000km is also not an unusual time to start seeing this, especially in a high wear environment. This past winter was rough on the roads around Vancouver Island. I hit a couple nasty potholes after the big floods in November that I thought might have caused damage (they put a number of people immediately to the roadside) but it seemed OK. They didn't report any leakage when they had the car in in February for the battery replacement but I'm sure this winter got the ball rolling.

KiwiME likes this.
  14. Chris Alemany likes this.
  15. Yup. Once the warranty is done on the car and this new set of shocks, I'll probably upgrade the next set of shocks a bit. Can't hurt and it would help when we choose to go out on the logging roads for a hike.