Did you get the battery replaced?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ColoradoKonaEV, Oct 20, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. livingthecadream

livingthecadream New Member

You're really lucky. Not sure that I buy that the battery will last. We were told that the battery was same one, just a new one. It was good that you were able to offload it now.

ehatch likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Somehow HMC shipped: 2022 kona electric, Kia 6, Inioq 5 with the port issues. Read my battery recall experience.It involves authorized dealerships who can sell,but unable to repair an EV.

Post new li-ion replacement. Already seeing a battery use warning again once I turn it off and the vehicle stays on until you exit.

Agree with @HepKona Hyundai is a sh*%!show .

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  4. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

I have told people wanting a kona electric to avoid it. HMC being the key reason. Usually recommend Tesla based on how the person wants to use their EV. When I drive my X.I am reminded of how good my Kona electric is pre battery recall.

5. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Not sure if you used the lemon law as I stumble upon the ongoing saga . Hyundai should have done a stop sale. Instead the 2021,2022 shipped with surfacing problems involving the Li-ion. Where a battery replacement appears to be the solution.

6. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Told a 3 Hyundai car family to buy a Tesla when they wanted to get an EV. They are happy they have their 3.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Update. July 27,2021 bulletin 21-C0415-2 cancels the previous bulletin TSB 21-C0415-1 where Kona electric owners were going to be provided up to $850 CAD for having to reduce their batteries to 80% , wait for a battery replacement. The updated bulletin no longer offers the maximum $850 gift card. I imagine the $250 CAD is no longer on the table either.

9. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

I think you are wrong my friend "July 2021" People have been getting the $250 and $850 since July 2021 and just recently.

10. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Did you look up the bulletin? Realize the consumer doesn't write these for the OEM?
    Reality is hyundai being inept, with a paper trail.

11. Cathy OS

Cathy OS New Member

New battery solution! After more than 8 months without my car due to the defective battery I finally got a new one. The original dealer I went to couldn’t get a battery and had no idea when they would. I also went through the arbitration process (and lost!) and was told by the Hyundai rep that they didn’t know when it would be replaced. I decided to call another dealer who told me that they get new batteries in a few weeks. I had my car towed there and just got it done! This mess is finally over. If anyone else is still waiting, try another dealer!

apu, electriceddy and Domenick like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Sorry you had to go through that for so long. I had something similar happen but I was actually referred to another dealer by my own when they realized that they were not going to be getting a battery in any reasonable time frame. Best thing that could have happened.

14. Has anyone with a battery replacement noticed a significant decrease in range with the new battery? for me it's about 35-40 miles.

15. I reported a strange drop in range of about 30-40km. But it happened more than a month after replacement and it happened overnight. Within a few days the range had returned to the (reasonably) normal parameters.

16. your GoM needs a few days to figure itself out

17. no, i had it replaced in December. I have lost range. I used to see 265 at 80%, now I see that at 100%

18. I made two trips in the Kona to Florida and back to New York and then got a replacement traction battery and made the same trip. I did not see any change in range and made every charge station that I made the two prior trips with no problem. Local drive is exactly the same with the new traction battery for me, I don't see any decrease in range.

19. Your case of reduced range does appear to be an outlier...at least in this forum. That's never a good feeling. :(

Jennifer likes this.
  20. The BMS software update applied at the time of battery replacement will overwrite all data used by the GoM for its guesstimate.

21. that is very interesting. I guess I'm the only one. BTW would you be willing to share your travel details from NY to FL in the Kona? How long did it take? Where were your charging stops?

22. If it is too detailed for you I could definitely give you the abridged version of a trip from this year.
    Trip Report Link:

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/long-trip-report-from-st-pete-fl-to-long-island-ny-using-electrify-america-dc-fast-chargers.8791/