EVgo adding Tesla plugs

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, May 10, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Heard on Autoline.TV, EVgo adding 60,000 Tesla plugs.

YEAAAA!

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. shepdave

shepdave New Member

Will Tesla be adding any CCS plugs anytime soon?

4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

It's already CCS in Europe. Hopefully the EVgo Tesla stations will be more than 50kW.

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

My understanding is there is a Tesla-to-CCS adapter in Korea. Since I already have a J1772 adapter, it strikes me as the way to go. Bi-directional adapter with a controller for each way.

Bob Wilson

6. bwilson4web

A recent post at Autoline says Tesla will add CCS plugs in North America.

Bob Wilson

electriceddy and Fastnf like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Confirmed here
    Will help relieve "charging anxiety" in areas where nothing else is available (or working).
    Should also be able to be subsidized by the new infrastructure build.

9. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

What a relief. Paying $2/min for supercharging (~$0.50-0.67/kWh @ 180kW-250kW) can get very expensive!

10. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I expect Tesla will try to force everyone onto their app, as the only means of interacting, rather than
    do the accessible thing and also install prox and/or credit-card readers. And of course the apps
    won't be available directly from Tesla's site. And if you're someplace without appropriate cell
    service, you're probably hosed.

_H*

electriceddy likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

Domenick likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

My experience with EVgo in the northeast has been even more expensive than that. EVgo also charges per time, and their “fast” chargers are very slow. 50kW nominal, more like 35kW in the real world. And I end up paying between 50¢ and $1 per kWh for the privilege. EVgo is to be avoided at all costs - it is a last resort network only.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

ITown and bwilson4web like this.
  14. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

The newest one around here is 100KW and 350KW. No Tesla plug on it.

I believe all of the GM paid for ones are 350KW and 100KW.

They are currently listed at 29 cents per minute. That's a good price for a Hyundai Ioniq 5.

Domenick likes this.
  15. bwilson4web

I prefer to see a mix of time and kWh. Time only makes older, slower EVs too expensive to take cross country travel.

Electric kWh only lets slower charging EVs block faster EVs from completing their trips in a timely fashion.

So the charge rate billing schedule of SuperChargers makes sense.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  16. GetOffYourGas

You are lucky. EVgo installed 100A chargers in upstate NY and New England years ago and has done nothing since.

17. GetOffYourGas

As one who travels everywhere in a Bolt, I get it. Of course I don’t want to pay more than the next guy. At the same time, time is a resource too and if I take longer to gain the range I need, I may be blocking the charger from someone else who needs it.

18. Keith Smith

Keith Smith Active Member

Actually, I get it but what you need is "more pumps" with tiered metering, and options. Example: 10 or so charging stations, you want 150A fast 20-80, you pay 0.50/KWH, you have time? 50A is 0.38, want to got to a full 100% over a couple hours, hit the button, it's 0.25/kwh, etc, etc. If you are the 16th arrival, and everything is full, ... Well you might only get 7.2AC or something until something free's up, or you plug in and it kicks off as soon as the juice is available.

The paradigms are changing. Fast charging is important, but I think "overnight" charging may be more critical. In particular I think the hotel/motel industry is about to see the biggest shift. I expect rows of 5.6-7.2AC units with technology, swipe your guest card to turn it on type stuff.

bwilson4web likes this.
  19. ITown

ITown Active Member

My opinion - it makes the most sense to charge for kWh the same way a gas pump charges for gallons of gasoline. If there aren't enough chargers to prevent charging congestion, IMO the solution is to add more chargers, not penalize cars that can't charge quickly. I'm glad that in California the DC fast charging companies are switching to the kWh paradigm.

For example, the nearest EVGo station to my home uses a time of use approach:
    • Energy rate prices / kWh
    • 12AM - 08AM : $0.35
    • 08AM - 04PM : $0.45
    • 04PM - 09PM : $0.52
    • 09PM - 12AM : $0.45

gooki, Keith Smith and bwilson4web like this.
  20. marshall

Well I looks like the Charging Justice map is showing an insufficient number of chargers along a couple of the Interstate highways. So you should be getting some of the federal money to fix that issue.

https://anl.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=33f3e1fc30bf476099923224a1c1b3ee

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  21. bwilson4web

That map is useless for my 3 year old, 68,000 mile, Tesla Model 3. Plugshare has much better, maps including L2 charging locations.

Bob Wilson

22. marshall

You are misreading what the map is telling us. The map has to do with where the federal government will invest the infrastructure money. The map helps to show where the under-served, and low income areas are located.

Understand that 40% of the charging infrastructure money is going to disadvantage communities. https://www.transportation.gov/equity-Justice40

23. [QUOTE="marshall, post: 171105, member: 5425"
    Understand that 40% of the charging infrastructure money is going to disadvantage communities. https://www.transportation.gov/equity-Justice40[/QUOTE]
    Is this where the need is greatest? How many of the disadvantaged are going to buy EVs, esp with inflation raging and "real" incomes dropping?

How does this support the green economy, when EV infrastructure money is diverted from where it is needed the most to where it is needed least? One of the biggest complaints from those that want (and can afford) to buy an EV is lack of charging infrastructure. We need to get high polluting SUVs and trucks off the road, not give them reason to stay status quo.