Extended warranty?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Ohliuw, Apr 11, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

As I am nearing the expiration of my 2019 model warranty, I need to decide if I should add extended warranty? We plan to keep the car for year to come.

So far have had 0 issues (other than rusty breaks), but I wonder if there are any ongoing issues that might appear in the the short to medium term?

for example, the RAV4 Prime and Hybird have big problems with the hybrid system cable that shows after 2-3 years (the current gen, 2019-now, so it’s resurfacing now). folks were asked to pay $6k and more to replace it.

thoughts?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Francofun

Francofun Member

I have a similar question though I still have some time to figure it out (2020 with 42k km).
    If I end up buying, from Canada, any idea what’s the best way of doing it? From the dealer?
    Thanks

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Inside EVs

Madmartigen likes this.
  4. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Yea I'm nearing a similar decision. I've always done my own repairs for brakes etc but this car has the potential for big bucks I can't do. And with the shrinking population of PHEV that will only make it worse. I like the car and am considering passing down to my son in another year...

5. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I described my decision-maker in the old extended warranty thread:

JFon101231 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

Im on the other side.....especially nowadays, warranties are good for peace of mind, but that's about it. In reality the odds are in not in your favor ( that's obvious and has been proven). Most warranties will expire about the time you need them. Most all things we fear never materialize.

9. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I have extended warranty (8yrs, 100k,$0 ded) on both my pilot and clarity. It cost like $1200. With parts and labor being so expensive, you break even after 1 or 2 repairs.

10. neal adkins

Just curious....is that 1200 for both cars? Or 1200 each car for a total of 2400.

11. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

Each, not both.
    $1250 for pilot elite and $1350 for clarity.

neal adkins likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. neal adkins

Thats a good price imo...but hope you never need a repair.

14. We’ll be getting an extended warranty later this summer. Just the other day, the driver side rear window would not operate from the controls on the drivers door. It operated from the switch on the rear door, which indicates that problem was with the front switch. Then it just started working from the front switch. We plan to keep the car until it dies or becomes cost prohibitive to operate.

In my opinion, it would be nothing short of a miracle for a modern vehicle to go 8 years or 100K miles without needing a $1200 repair.

Madmartigen and megreyhair like this.
  15. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I used it twice already on my Pilot. The last trip would have cost $1100 to replace the motorized and gas rear liftgate lifts.

Today's cars have too much electronic gadgets and from my 20+ years as an IT person, electronics will start to go bad after about 4 years.

I think the extended warranty is a good insurance if you plan to keep your cars for years.

16. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

I was quoted CAD $2150+tx for 7 years/13000km. This is almost $2000 US.

seems outrageous compared to the US cost. Any idea if we can purchase coverage from a US dealer that would be warranted in Canada?

17. insightman

I believe Canadians who wanted power seats in their Claritys discovered the factory warranty didn't accompany the car to an owner north of the border. I'd be surprised if the extended warranty was more lenient.

18. Frankwell

Frankwell Active Member

I assume you mean a case where someone imports a U.S. Clarity into Canada. Do you know if their cars were placed under Canadian factory warranty (thus only the power seats or any other differences are not covered). Hard to imagine they would have no factory warranty at all on a new vehicle. I understand the concept of gray market when it comes to electronics, but I guess I never thought of it applying to new vehicles.

19. insightman

Here is the 2018 post where I learned that Honda, unlike other car companies, doesn't allow their US vehicle warranties to transfer across the border.

Madmartigen likes this.
  20. Frankwell

Frankwell Active Member

Higher price, import fees, no factory warranty. Sure makes for some expensive power seats! And to add insult to injury no battery warmer.

insightman likes this.
  21. I normally do not buy any type of extended warranties, as they do not pay on the average. But I decided to get the HondaCare policy on my Clarity because of all the new technology it had. After three years my XM radio developed an intermittent problem. I took it to the dealer, and they found two error codes. They said that if it happened again, they would replace the antenna and/or the radio. But when it did recur, they refused to do anything unless it failed in their presence. I took it to another Honda dealer, and they first replaced the antenna, and then replaced the entire system. The cost to me was zero, and they said it would have been some $3000 without the warranty. So, I think an extended warranty is probably a good idea on cars that are newly introduced and have complex electronics. BTW: I just sold the car, and apparently there may be a prorated refund. If that works out, then it was a really good decision.

22. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

Just like I said before, there are lots of electronics in the car, headend unit, gps, touch screen, radio, accelerator pedal, parking brake, etc. Those things are expensive to replace and there is no 3rd party parts for it. It would be good insurance to get it if you plan to keep the car for over 8 years.

23. Just bought the G58 from Hyannis Honda for $1053. It is the $0 Deductible plan which extends the warranty for 5 additional years or up to 80K total miles.

After 3 years the car has approximately 28K miles and we don’t expect to drive it 50K miles over the next 5 years, so we opted for the lower mileage plan.