Preorder waiting time

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Cornel Neagu, Apr 9, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Cornel Neagu

Cornel Neagu New Member

Hi all,
    I placed a preorder for Kona EV 2023 on April 01,2022. Estimate delivery time between 12-14 months.
    Anyone else waiting for their orders?
    I’m from Vancouver, Canada.
    Cheers.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I and others waited 8+ months starting back in 2018, so add a couple more just for good measure;)

4. If you really want a Kona, ever consider a used one? Can't get the rebates, but used EVs are PST exempt. And the 2019 and early 2020s have new recall batteries. That is the most expensive component on the car, so that effectively makes them almost like a brand new car.
    https://www.autotrader.ca/cars/hyundai/kona electric/bc/vancouver/?rcp=15&rcs=0&srt=9&prx=50&prv=British Columbia&loc=Vancouver, BC&hprc=True&wcp=True&inMarket=advancedSearch

Also the Bolts are surprisingly cheap. And it also has a new recall battery. The range is almost the same as the Kona EV, but doesn't have all the bells and whistles.
    https://www.carooga.com/vehicle/chevrolet-bolt-ev-lt-2019/1010000354

At least with one of these, you wouldn't have to wait a year+, and you could always trade it in later for the newest and greatest which are coming next.

Ginginova likes this.
  5. HyperSmiler

HyperSmiler New Member

I placed my order in early December and my Kona EV was scheduled to be built in May. My last update from Hyundai Canada was that my cars manufacturing date was moved up to March. I’m still waiting for the dealer in Kelowna to provide an updated delivery date.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. Cornel Neagu

Cornel Neagu New Member

Thank you all for the updates.
    RP, thank you for the advice , but I personally don’t think that buying a pre owed car is a good idea. The price is ridiculously high those days. I have no issues waiting 12 months for a new Kona EV. Currently I have a 2020 Ioniq PHEV and the dealership promised me a very good trade in price when the Kona arrives.
    I was curious if there are others waiting for their orders. stay in touch please and post any updates when you have.
    Cheers.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sounds about right, current new Ioniq 5 orders are in the same range. Seems like some reports are suggesting that the 2023 model year is already sold out.
    I believe I waited 7 months for my Kona back in 2019 before the current supply issue problems. Nonetheless congratulations on the new ride.

9. tbacba

tbacba New Member

Just wondering why you want to wait a year for a 2023 when the 2022's are available right now. Are there significant differences?

10. tbacba

tbacba New Member

Just wondering why you want to wait a year to get a 2023 model when the 2022's are available right now. Is there a significant difference?

11. efriscia

efriscia New Member

Im in Montreal. Placed my order last September week, got it early March.
    Current wait times according to the seller are between 12 to 18 months.

Cornel Neagu likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Cornel Neagu

Cornel Neagu New Member

I doubt there are any Kona EV available on the stock. At least all dealers around my location are sold out. If there is anything available, I assume must be the ultimate trim , which I don’t want to have.
    I already have a new 2020 Ioniq PHEV, waiting 12 months is not a big deal for me.
    At the end of the day the price I will get for my trade in and the incentives I will receive made the difference.
    Cheers

electriceddy likes this.
  14. Shawn EVD

Shawn EVD New Member

I have an order for an I5. I just checked with the dealership last week and was told that since I put my name in in January I would be one of the first orders. I would be contacted in the summer to confirm my order but not receive the car until early 2023. I also have called around to many dealerships in BC that say they have cars available on the website they all say the same thing that they just haven’t updated the website or they need to have them listed even though they are test vehicles only. Non of them say we don’t have I5 but we do have this kona ev you can try so I don’t think they have anything in BC. Everyone that I talk to that has bought or is looking for evs in bc the last few years have had to wait a year for the car unless you want to buy Tesla but now even they say there is a wait not the full year but no incentive and they keep raising the price.

electriceddy likes this.
  15. Tesla is not the lone wolf here... Korean battery prices are going to increase as well, due to lithium, nickel, cobalt and manganese cost:
    "
    South Korean battery makers could raise prices by 30% to 40% to offset high commodity costs and they are in talks with electric-vehicle makers over new long-term contracts, according to SNE Research.

“We had a meeting with Korean cell makers recently that led us to adjust the outlook for prices of electric-car batteries,” SNE’s executive vice president James Oh said at a seminar Wednesday. “They say battery prices are highly likely to rise by 2024 or 2025.”

While the companies didn’t disclose how much they might increase prices by, those using lithium, nickel, cobalt and manganese could lift prices of battery packs as much as 40% by 2025 "
    [​IMG]
    On the bright side, keep the mileage low on my existing Kona EV... and see what resale value is then;)

16. Andy Murray

Andy Murray New Member

On Vancouver Island if the dealer has one they're using it as a demo, and won't sell it until they get a new one. If you order now you're ordering a '23. I imagine other areas are similar.

17. I waited 11 months pre-covid for my 2021 Ultimate.

The Hyundai dealer in town is now saying they will begin taking orders on 2024 model year cars in a few months. 2024! Holy smokes....

Makes me very careful driving my car on public roads.....

18. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I ordered my Ioniq 5 in early Dec., they send monthly updates, the first one in January said the build date would be in Oct,. then by March they said it would be November, now, two days ago they said it would now be 2nd quarter of 2023, WTF. They blame semi-conductor supply issues and supply chain problems. It now looks like people will have to wait 1 1/2 years to get a Ioniq5.

electriceddy likes this.
  19. It's all messed up. My son ordered a model Y back in November, 2021 . Initially he was told March delivery, then August and now most recently May 2022, wth. We have a deposit on a Ionic 5 and a GV60. Will see which one comes first, originally told June, 2022 on the Ionic, then August and now its 1st quarter of 2023. Was really interested in the Ioniq but now I am a little excited for prospect of the GV60 Performance arriving first. The GV60 loses some range(with higher rated dual motors and 21 inch wheels), some interior space with shorter wheelbase but is much faster(I would imagine it would be akin to Ioniq 5 N whenever that comes on line), real Napa leather seating, facial recognition, electronic adaptive suspension that radar adjust to road undulations, active cabin noise cancelling/mitigation in addition to the front and rear dual layered acoustic glass, includes navigation DC destination charger battery preheating and over the air update for all modules not just the maps like in the IONIC. The major draw back is that the pricing is yet to be announced in Canada. I am going to guess the performance version is going to be closer to the price of a Model Y long range AWD and similarly won't qualify for the federal iZEV incentive.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    electriceddy likes this.
  20. That will be a huge bonus given your previous experiences with Kona EV DC charging in extreme cold conditions, providing the "NAV" system co-operates recognizing the destination properly and current charger locations. Manual method would be better, remains to be seen if that will be an option.
    I hope this will become the "norm" in future models.;)

apu likes this.
  21. I don't think there are any plans for manual control for the GV60. Nonetheless it would still be a win as you can simply enter a DC charge location as a destination into navigation and simply not go there. Telsa owners have been using this trick for a while as pseudo manual control.

electriceddy likes this.
  22. Andy Murray

Andy Murray New Member

But won't it be great when all the manufacturers figure out that it needs to be?!?

23. Wasn't expecting it so soon but it looks like I am getting an I5 first :). It appears that the buyer for the same spec I5 as the one I had on order has backed out and it has been offered to me today.
    I think I will keep the GV60 order for the time being and see how things go.