My Clarity got broken into. Is my car hacked?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by PapaWangsta, Feb 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. PapaWangsta

PapaWangsta Member

So, My Clarity got broken into the other day. Does any1 know, can the Clarity be easily hacked? My security cameras showed the perp opened the car as if he has a remote of some sort. Also, the perp left something on the top of the rear trunk and the 1st thing he did was retrieve the item(maybe remote jammer) then opened the trunk.

2 video clips from 2 different camera angles + screenshot of the item the perp retrieved from the trunk

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'd guess the thief saw "Honda," not "Clarity," and went to work using the same dastardly device and techniques that he's found successful with other Honda vehicles. Something that might have worked against you is if the thief had never seen a Clarity before and wanted to discover if it was any more secure than other Hondas.

Was the thief interested in your tire inflator or your charging cord? Around here the hot item for thieves is the steering wheel--later they throw it away after carefully extracting the valuable airbag.

PapaWangsta likes this.
  4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

If it's any consolation, this 'high tech' thief seemed to do no damage to your vehicle.
    More traditionally, he could have broken a window, jimmied a lock with a screwdriver, and caused expensive damage to the vehicle.

One strategy is to just never keep anything valuable in your car, and cross your fingers that you get a "high tech" theif like this. He will pop open the vehicle without causing any damage and go on his way when he finds nothing of value.

5. PapaWangsta

PapaWangsta Member

Strangely enough he didn't even take the L2 charger nor airbags. He did ransack the car. Footages showed that it was quick in and out, haha like the burger joint.

insightman likes this.
  6. PapaWangsta

PapaWangsta Member

On the bight side yes, nothing physical harm done to the vehicle. Let's hope the perp's 1st try wasn't his test and won't come back for the 2nd time.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. pigrew

pigrew Member

The Clarity likely is susceptible to replay attacks. The key fob's signal can be recorded, and replayed at a later time, unlocking the doors.

The key fob hardware itself is capable of rolling codes/security, but other same-model-year Hondas are vulnerable, so I assume the Clarity also is.

See my other post: honda-kr5v2x-key-fob-sub-variants.

PapaWangsta likes this.
  9. PapaWangsta

PapaWangsta Member

Let's hope the Clarity has rolling codes implanted. From what I can see either the car was unlocked or the perp's has the keycodes itself. He opened the car as if he has my keyfob.

10. Teslawannabe

Teslawannabe Active Member

Where do you keep your keys in the house? I have seen a Tesla story similar. The key signal was picked up near the front door and transmitted to a second receiver/ transmitter near the car.
    Sent from my SM-N986U using Inside EVs mobile app

PapaWangsta likes this.
  11. PapaWangsta

PapaWangsta Member

The keyfob is pretty far away from the car. It's impossible to unlock it from the distant where the keyfob's location. Unless the perp was waiting for me to unlock and copying the keycode.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Teslawannabe

Teslawannabe Active Member

This is just a quick search of youtube. The 1st guy by the door picked up the signal, from inside the house, and amplifies it, while guy #2, gets in and drives away. Just a demo of today's electronic possibilities. Thankfully, nothing was damaged or taken from your Clarity.
    Sent from my SM-N986U using Inside EVs mobile app

PapaWangsta likes this.
  14. PapaWangsta

PapaWangsta Member

Looks like time to get a RFID signal blocker pouch.

15. laptop

laptop Member

Or you can use an ammo can to DIY a Faraday cage and put all your key fobs in it.
    I would be careful with the jammer as it could cause certain medical devices to malfunction.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

PapaWangsta likes this.
  16. PapaWangsta

PapaWangsta Member