Range tests seem disappointing..

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by ForceEdge, Jan 6, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

I hope Tom or Kyle do the test again but RWD. The difference in EPA range between AWD and RWD is quite large, if real.

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I know they definitely want to do RWD as well. The gap in their ranges is a bit weird.

4. Daniel Achatz

Daniel Achatz New Member

I recently canceled my Mach E AWD extended range Premium edition and bought and Ioniq 5 AWD limited edition which should arrive next week. I use a better route planner to plan a trip between Seattle and San Francisco first using the 2022 Mach E in my spec with the better range and new charging curve, and then again with the Ioniq 5 in my spec, with less range but the much better charging curve. Over that trip the Ioniq 5 beat the Mach E by over an hour. I just tried to recreate the trip but there is a super long stretch in Southern Oregon that is getting slammed with snow right now so I can’t give you the correct time for the trip. What I can say it the I5 only needs 5 charges and the longest was 31 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Domenick, insightman and electriceddy like this.
  5. That's pretty awesome, thanks for sharing that.

Daniel Achatz likes this.
  6. Miguel Moreno

Miguel Moreno New Member

What mode did he run the test on? Would love to see a range test with the AWD in ECO vs Normal. To see exactly how much more range you get on single (with engine cut off) vs RWD.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

He said ECO in the video.

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If you find the reported maximum range of the Ioniq 5 disappointing, that may improve with the 2023 model.

I keep looking for updates on the Ioniq 6, which interests me much more than any crossover EV. I was watching this Korean YouTube video showing an Ioniq 6 with less camouflage than before, along with artists' renderings of what they think the car will look like when all the camouflage comes off. I was surprised by this video's short reference to the 2023 Ioniq 5, which claims it will have more range ("Drives Longer," right?) and be Faster (do they mean higher top speed or quicker 0-60?):

upload_2022-2-25_12-22-6.png

No promise of a rear wiper, but some claim the 2023 Ioniq 5 will have a magic, never-gets-dirty, rear-view camera that's usable when driving forwards to make up for there being no rear wiper

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  10. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

I'm still waiting for someone to range test the RWD version. I don't think Inside EVs or Out of Spec have done that yet.

Geezer likes this.
  11. Newby4EV

Newby4EV Member

Pretty cool video from Australia showing what to expect in the summer in the Ioniq 5 with the fast charging!

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.