Is anyone actually willing to get Tesla insurance?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Ed K, Jan 21, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ed K

Ed K New Member

Using your driving data to give you a 'safety score' is how you will be billed.

Not a chance. For the record, I rejected a similar offer from Progressive to install an OBD snitch on my cars in exchange for cheaper insurance.

I live in Arizona and YOU WILL GET SHOT for driving at the speed limit on the highways here. It's like the wacky races.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

With both 'beta' AutoPilot and Full Self Driving, I will happily take a lower insurance bill. A former Prius owner/driver, I remember how to hide in traffic.

Bob Wilson

4. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

My insurance wouldn't cover me if using FSD, not sure about Autopilot. So for some of us, Tesla insurance would be an option.

5. Robin_in_CA

Robin_in_CA New Member

I just checked rates, and it's significantly cheaper for me than my current insurance (GEICO) with better coverage. Tempted...although I have a 15 year old son, and I'm not sure how that will impact things once he's driving. I already have plans to set limits for his profile, which is absolutely amazing to have that ability.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Not available in Alabama, yet. So I changed from Farmers to USAA for a reason.

Another driver backed into my parked, open, passenger side door, $1,300. Farmers sent me a check for $265 and I paid the rest out of pocket. I was already pissed that they could not move my annual insurance bill from cash short November to February the next year.

I have yet to see the refund of my paid premium meant to span the gap. I'm abandoning it to keep my feelings about Farmers warm.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Brewha

Brewha New Member

I've had the Tesla insurance here in Texas on my M3LR for about a year and a half now. It's about 1/2 the cost of what we pay for my wife's XT5 - for the same full coverage.
    They bill you monthly as the rates change based on your Safety Score. Last month was $61. Right now my score has dropped to 95% (Crazy traffic driving) and they are projecting $75/mo.

Robin_in_CA likes this.
  9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Does Tesla determine your Safety Score based on data your Tesla sends to the company? In your Tesla, can you dial up a display of your instantaneous Safety Score to use as feedback to help you adjust your driving for a higher score?

I'm sure glad my insurance company doesn't know how I drive my electric MINI Cooper! My insurance may cost more than your Tesla insurance, but if my car's data tattled on me, even Tesla insurance would be much more expensive than what I'm paying.

10. Brewha

Brewha New Member

You might enjoy reading about how a Tesla Safety Score works on line. Every trip shows up on your phone after you hit Park - so yes, sent to Tesla. There are a number of things that erode your score and increase your premium. You can see how you are rated on 8 categories ranging from Hard Breaking to Unbuckled Driver. Trip by trip. Hard acceleration is NOT rated. Hard Turning is.

That said, if you have an “eventful trip”, just do a panel rest before you go into park and that trip is not recorded.

Given that it is so cheap compared to other companies, I think you could drive like a mad man and still have a moderate premium. YMMV.

Robin_in_CA and insightman like this.
  11. Robin_in_CA

Robin_in_CA New Member

Here in CA the safety score doesn't apply. :)

I'm debating getting an old beat-up truck for my teenager (and just to have an old beat-up truck)...does anyone here also insure a non Telsa on their Tesla plan?

My previous insurance went up slightly after I jacked up my deductible. My 6 month policy renews in June, so I might switch then.

12. To remove this ad click here.