Illogical stuff in the SE. It's the little things...

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by F14Scott, Jan 15, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Not quite the same problem, but it reminded me of this thread on NAM about tilted steering columns on the F60.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f60-countryman-talk-2016/356138-steering-wheel-whole-column-tilts-to-left.html

endquote likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

The biggest annoyance for me in the car is the cruise control buttons on the wheel. I didn’t spring for ACC because I don’t trust camera based CC systems so it’s just the standard CC I have, but I find probably once or twice a journey that when I go to resume cruising speed after having to slow down or speed up I end up pressing the button that puts the speed limiter on. As I think I’ve pressed resume I’ve eased off the accelerator thinking the car will maintain speed, but since it’s now in speed limiter mode, it goes to regen and slows down and flashes brake lights at the car behind. My peripheral vision sees the green logo in the HUD and thinks I’m good, but I’m not good, it’s the green of the LIMIT icon.
    I suspect the fault lies in the nut behind the wheel, but the the nut blames the way buttons on the steering wheel on the 22 move, and couldn’t they move the LIMIT icon to either a different part of the HUD or make it a different colour? Or use the BMW style wheel buttons? I don’t think I ever mistakenly activated the speed limiter on my X6 in three years of use. I’ll just have to hope that I’ll get used to it and will have to properly look down when resuming CC to make sure I’m in the correct mode.

4. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Same problem here, and I have ACC. I will go to hit the up arrow and hit the speed limiter function instead. I wish they were separate physical buttons rather than one plastic panel.

Texas22Step and SpeedyRS like this.
  5. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

The steering wheel buttons in the 2021 models are separate physical buttons. This is definitely a case of MINI / BMW adding piano black, monolithic buttons to the 2022 models because they probably thought it to be attractive, but taking a terrible step backward in functionality for everyday MINI owners / drivers.

6. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Agreed!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I can't seem to unlock the passenger door with the key fob. My 2014 Clubman S without comfort access lets me unlock the passenger door by pressing the fob unlock button twice, but that doesn't seem to work with the SE.

9. SpeedyRS

It’s a setting on the menu. Unlock driver door only or unlock both doors.

Puppethead likes this.
  10. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Only a note from my test drives, so perhaps it becomes muscle memory and not a nit, but to me the iDrive controller is not intuitive at all: I found myself scrolling the wrong direction every single entry. Either way, it requires way more interaction than it should.

11. chrunck

It's the opposite direction in BMWs from what I've heard, which is baffling. It used to trip me up, but I've gotten used to it.

SameGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Quorn

Quorn Member

Even though I love the idea of the Imperial System, it seems a stretch to move to Myanmar or Liberia when the US finally converts???

14. Yep, it's definitely the opposite of BMW. As long as you don't drive both the MINI on a weekly basis it'll be something you can get used to it quite quickly.

SameGuy likes this.
  15. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I guess it’s not backwards if you’re in a RHD using your left… maybe it feels like someone else is scrolling…

FrankinCarp and Texas22Step like this.
  16. lol ;)

FrankinCarp and SameGuy like this.
  17. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I’ve actually found it to be very intuitive. The entire display is set up like a circle. The controller is a circle. If you spin the controller counter clockwise, the selection moves counter clockwise. Don’t think of it as up/down and suddenly you realize that they got it right!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

18. chrunck

Do what now? How do you consider down to be anti-clockwise?

Edit: or up? I don't remember which is which anymore...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    SameGuy likes this.
  19. SpeedyRS

I found it really intuitive in my X6 and then in my wife’s i3, but when jumping between the Mini and the i3 as I do regularly, it’s a real pain to recalibrate your mind. Someone at BMW obviously thought it would be good to differentiate between the BMW and Mini iDrive systems.

wessy and SameGuy like this.
  20. Puppethead

Ah, but the newer 2022 user interface isn't like that at all, it's horizontal. Things scroll left/right on the main display.

GetOffYourGas and SameGuy like this.
  21. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, BMWs your starting point was on the 3 o'clock position of a circle for most of the iDrive iterations. MINI starts at 9 o'clock of a circle.

22. Puppethead

Thanks, that was it. I can't believe I didn't think to look for a setting.

SpeedyRS likes this.
  23. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Simple, really. Like I said, don’t think of it as up/ down. Or put another way, you are scrolling down on the left side of the screen, so move the left side of the control down (counter clockwise). It’s more obvious on the main screen where there are options on both sides. Counter clockwise moves the selection down on the left, and then up on the right, just like the controller moves. Very intuitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs