Newbie MINI app question

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by FrancoMINIPNW, Dec 17, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. znorc

znorc New Member

Hello everyone, freshly registered user here. I came here after googling the specific issues being discussed.

I took delivery of "Elinor" (Less common spelling of Eleanor in Swedish and "el" the common short way of saying electricity/electric) on December 28th and I've never been able to use the Charge/precondition timer. The rest of the remote functions work sporadically, and when they do work they take a long time to actuate. Part of this issue is probably that I often try it at home where the car is parked in an underground garage with limited mobile coverage. I've tried it outdoors as well, with better but still varying results.

Looking forward to the software update. The remote services of Elinor has been disappointing to say the least, along with a few other minor bugs/lack of features that annoy me. Overall really happy with her though!

Finally, some photos with winter wheels:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Leo718

Leo718 New Member

I‘ve got the update to TT-002.162.001 and same as @SpeedyRS issue persists.
    My dealer filed a ticket with BMW but I don‘t hope for a quick fix.

Fun fact: The service person is a 100% sure its the App that fails because he doesnt see any problems in the error log. So the car is supposed to be OK. Can only be the App. It is a long way to go for
    these guys…

wessy and SpeedyRS like this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, did you get the update after you got your car? Was it done by the dealer, or some other means?

VanBC likes this.
  5. Leo718

Leo718 New Member

Got it today by my dealer. I picked up the MINI jan 4th 2022 with version 160 (see above)

6. Thanks so much for sharing updates on your experience working with your dealer, it's a great help!

The fact that the Charge & Climate Timer does still work for people whose cars were delivered prior to mid-December seems to suggest that the issue involves some interplay of the on-phone app and the in-car software, but I suppose there could be some really silly issue in the app and/or BMW/Mini's cloud platform that's causing it (e.g. the app doesn't like VINs that extend beyond a certain value).

It does feel like this issue is ever-so-slowly working its way through the command-and-control structure at BMW/Mini, so I'm hopeful that we'll see a resolution soon-ish. ;-)

wessy, Leo718 and SpeedyRS like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

As I recall l, at least some of the people with the problem have looked up their VIN in the BMW system and they are listed as S models instead of SE’s. It seems like a backend VIN database issue. If the system thinks they are petrol vehicles they won’t need these features.

Hopefully it gets fixed in the next couple weeks before my car gets here. Should I request the dealer updates to the most recent software before picking it up or do these cars have OTA updates?

wessy likes this.
  9. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

As I understand it the only thing that’s updated OTA is the map data. Car software updates need to be done at the dealer I believe.
    I’m not sure that issue with the cars appearing as ICE Cooper S models is important here as others who have a working charge and climate timer have the same ICE Cooper S designation in that checker. The app itself clearly shows the car as a Cooper SE and that’s done automatically when you enter your VIN.

wessy likes this.
  10. David Baker

David Baker New Member

I believe we had people report their VIN translating to Cooper S BUT they did not have the problem. They were folks who took delivery before Dec 14th. So I still believe it was the update made to the services on Dec 14th / 15th that is the issue. To this date no one has reported the issue on this forum who picked up their car before Dec 14th and no one has taken delivery after that date who say they do not have the problem (on this forum).

wessy and Bemsha like this.
  11. Leo718

Leo718 New Member

could be that Bosch delivered an updated version of one of these little black boxes that do the connection magic and they changed the protocol without notifying the App developers

wessy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. DavidSumm

DavidSumm New Member

My charge and climate timer has suddenly started working. Yippee!

LTTinNKY, F14Scott, perraru and 2 others like this.
  14. SpeedyRS

So has mine!

perraru and David Baker like this.
  15. znorc

znorc New Member

Same here! Wonderful :)

16. Leo718

Leo718 New Member

Same here in Germany. Havn‘t checked it for a while and now its there.
    Nothing has been changed, neither the App nor the car.

BMW magic

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  17. SpeedyRS

It is weird because the app is still on V1.7.3 which it’s been for a couple of weeks. Whatever the reason, I’m glad it’s working.

18. David Baker

David Baker New Member

Yep mine has just started working too! :) No Software Updates made my end (Canada)

perraru likes this.
  19. jimmm18

jimmm18 Active Member

Yep mine too! App updated on the 20th. No other updates.

perraru likes this.
  20. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Awesome - so glad to hear this issue appears to be resolved!

perraru likes this.
  21. Mine started working today as well, had to login to the app and pleasantly surprised to see it works :)

perraru likes this.