Fuel cell / ev

Discussion in 'Energy' started by Rose1596, Jan 4, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rose1596

Rose1596 New Member

I am a down to earth guy who is an industrial electrician. I keep up on on the electric auto industry. I see a war of ev vrs hydrogen fuel cell. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. They are both electrical powertrains, so why doesn't someone else come up with a hybrid? Nicola was set to produce the Badger, but of course that fell through. Just a crazy thought!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I noticed there are about 40 hydrogen retail stations in California ONLY because someone got subsidized. The economics do not make sense. For example, $16 of hydrogen for an equivalent $3 of gas and less for electricity charging a BEV.

Bob Wilson

4. Rose1596

Rose1596 New Member

Under current conditions. Hydrogen technology is in infancy, but is dramatically increasing. Green hydrogen is coming places all over the world. It's time for America to hop on board or get left behind

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I would favor a gasoline and diesel fuel tax to subsidize hydrogen. The higher the better.

Bob Wilson

6. Green Hydrogen has just left the lab, as a technology and will be regionally dependent on excess solar power or wind near an infinite water source.

Places like Perth, WA or Houston, TX are ideal locations.

It is important to reiterate that Hydrogen is a fuel store - not a fuel source.

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Hydrogen lost five years ago. Now its limping along like a wounded soldier. Hydrogen was a solution for the peak oil world, where the price of oil would skyrocket due to demand exceeding supply. Making hydrogen cost competitive.

The introduction of battery electric cars, and the consequent cost reduction of battery cells has made it the preferred solution for ground transportation. And thanks to the timing we may never see peak oil, making hydrogen a hard sell.