Navigation Update from Garmin

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by RickSE, Dec 30, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

I just tried to install the latest map update from garmin and got a message that there is not enough space on the device to install the update. Has anyone else seen this error?

F153CCE8-A97A-40D7-915C-6D18214FCC69.jpeg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Argh - I don't like the looks of that.

One random thought - What size is your USB drive?
    Perhaps the installation process requires some extra space on the USB drive (beyond just what the update itself uses) for temporary files, etc.
    If you have a larger USB device you could try that. Or, if it is clear that it has lots of free space, then this is a dumb thought.

sabasc likes this.
  4. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

The update used about 50% of the space on the usb - 15gb out of 32 gb. I’ll be calling the dealer next week to see what’s going on. Given the level of dealer knowledge on the clarity I don’t have a huge degree of confidence. This is (I think) the same units that’s in the 2016 accords so maybe they will have some idea of what’s going on.

5. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

In a world of Android Auto and Apply CarPlay, I was unaware that folks still used built-in navigation. Oh yeah, I have a base Clarity, so no built-in nav to try to update.

6. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

I barely use it since it’s traffic updates are fairly useless, but occasionally I am out of cell range and it’s come in handy. In any case, we paid for the service and it should work.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MrFixit

I am a user of the built-in navigation. I have updated my maps several times, and I beleive it is 'current'?
    Here is a screenshot of my version:

20211230_183200_email.jpg

I have not encountered the problem that you had, but If my version is not current, I am willing to try an update to see if I have the same trouble...

sabasc and turtleturtle like this.
  9. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

I’m getting the same error message on my wife’s CRV so I’m guessing this is a garmin problem. I’m looking forward to lots of finger pointing between garmin and Honda to try to get this resolved.

laptop and sabasc like this.
  10. MrFixit

I don't know which would be easier to deal with but my suspicion is that the ball is really in Garmin's court. I wonder if it would make sense to start a dialog with them? If I have a chance, I'll check for updates and try this on my car.

sabasc likes this.
  11. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

I got a reply from garmin support overnight and will give it a shot. I’ve updated my maps for years using the same 32 gb usb stick, but will give it a shot with their suggestion. Now I just need to track down a 16 gb usb somewhere!

reply from garmin support:
    The Honda Navigation System update requires a 16GB USB flash drive. Using a USB flash drive smaller or larger than 16GB can cause the map update process to be unsuccessful. The following error message may display: "There is not enough space on the device to install the map update from USB storage device."

sabasc likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JohnT

JohnT Active Member

Hi
    This happened to me too; I "think" what I did was to DELETE the map(s) on the Garmin using the car display..
    but don't quote me :) was using a 32GB key - but notice that I have last used (successfully Dec 4/21) a 16GB key - so maybe that IS the right answer... easiest anyhow! Good luck John

sabasc likes this.
  14. MrFixit

FWIW,
    I just installed the update, and it worked just fine. The map versions now show 2022.
    The USB drive that I use for this happens to be a 16 GB (purely coincidental).

sabasc and DaleL like this.
  15. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

I was successful with a 16gb usb drive. I’ve used my 32gb for a few years now, but this time I guess the navigation is finicky! I’ll take the win at 16gb using my new $6 usb drive on sale at staples.

sabasc likes this.
  16. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

I
    I had the same problem on my $25 stand alone Garmin and I believe I took Canada out of the update to fit it.

sabasc likes this.
  17. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

I also updated by mid December (16GB drive), after waiting one year in the hopes the new car map would now include my almost 2-year old community streets in East Las Vegas so I could set my 'Home' location. When I moved in last February it was already added in Apple maps, Google Maps, Waze, Sygic and even a free "Magic Earth" app I have on my phone (I'm sort of a navigation junkie). Sadly, the "brand new" 2022 Garmin update still shows my neighborhood as a piece of yellow lonely desert and Garmin doesn't even offer an option to report missing or incorrect information... I guess I'll stick to CarPlay. Funnily, the Garmin "update"service expires this year so I guess it will never be able to set my 'Home' until I buy a new car or I move to somewhere within the original 13 colonies territory so it is included in Garmin updated database...

18. MrFixit

FYI - Your 'home' location can be set even if your address is not included in the map.
    When you set the home location, you are given the choice to "Enter an Address",or "Use current location".
    While your car is located at "home", just define the home location by selecting "Use current location".

Here is a Garman page which illustrates this procedure:
    https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=SzEIMWUns92Ey82V5Dbi18

19. Will it navigate to your home if the streets around the home don't exist in the database, though? I could see it saying "I'm sorry dave, I can't let you go there" (or the less Hal-like equivalent).

sabasc likes this.
  20. MrFixit

Yes it will... I had a similar experience with a stand-alone Garmin before the Clarity where my home was not in the database for a while. It navigates just fine. Eventually, we made it onto the map.

Also, note that you can report map errors to Garmin. I have no idea how responsive they are to these reports, but it doesn't hurt to try. Here is a form that they provide for this purpose:
    https://my.garmin.com/mapErrors/report.faces

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    sabasc likes this.
  21. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I had similar issue with 32gb drives. I had to format my my 32gb stick as 16gb to do updates.

sabasc likes this.
  22. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

There are still large areas of the USA with limited to none cell service. On trips out west, I found this is when we need NAV the most. Before our Clarity Touring, we used (and still do) a cheap garmin (with lifetime updates!) that also serves double-duty as a front dash cam. I especially like that it has the posted speed limits always displayed. I have it mounted in the upper left of the windshield out of the way but in a good spot for viewing its small screen.

The rest of the time, it's wireless carplay + siri + google maps on the "big screen".

sabasc and coutinpe like this.
  23. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

@Mr Fixit, thank you for your tips and advice. I tried it. Unfortunately, Clarity Garmin doesn't seems to admit your workaround. "HAL" will stubbornly route me to the street "nearest" to our patch of desert, which turns out to be another closed community with a totally different way of access. I settled for the road limiting our desert patch, like 0.75 miles away to the south, but from there I can find the way home using my non-smart brain. I will also try submitting the error report attaching a snapshot of Google maps. Will see what happens. Thanks again.

sabasc likes this.