How much power does the heater pull?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Bemsha, Jan 2, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bemsha

Bemsha Member

I have a new Countryman SE. For now, I just have a level 1 charger (when plugged in, it pulls 1900 watts).

It’s pretty cold today, about 29F. I turned on climatization about 30 minutes before getting into my car. To my surprise, the battery was 1 kWh less than full. I checked my energy monitor and the car started pulling the usual 1900 volts as soon as I turned on the climate control.

so, in just 30 minutes, even with 1900 watts flowing into the car, it drained the battery by 1 kWh. Without any power to the car, draining 1 kWh in 30 minutes means it was pulling 2000 watts. Add the 1900 watts to that and the climatization was pulling….. 3900 watts?!

A full room space heater on its highest setting pulls 1500 watts. I have a hard time understanding why it requires the power of 2 full space heaters at full blast just to run the heater in my car. Is this normal? Or am I just bad at math?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Why run it for 30 minutes? I turn mine on 5 minutes before leaving and it's like a sauna in there. I can't imagine the heat from 30 minutes of climatization.

Edit: this is in my garage, which is about 45F right now.

4. Bemsha

Bemsha Member

I thought I was leaving in like 5 minutes, but my wife took forever to get ready lol

Edit: also, I thought the climatization turned off after the interior of the car reaches a certain temperature. Does it not?

5. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I'm equally curious about the onboard charger losses in the 120V/208V/240V EVSE A/C -> Onboard charger AC/DC stepdown to 48V high voltage battery. When I precondition my Cooper SE plugged in, it will draw either the 7,400W maximum or 3,800 reduced continuously. By your maths the heat pump would be 2,000 watts + 7,400 watts = 9,400 watts for the heat pump in Level 2 maximum!! There must be significant conversion losses at the onboard charger level.

Edit: I've ran climatization at -18F it never shut off so I manually stopped it after 35 minutes.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  6. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

In another thread, I was told that one sets the climate conditioning for your departure time. That would imply that the car reads the ambient temperature and calculates how long it would take to reach the desired temp (no clue on who decides what that temp is). I must admit, it is nice to get into a toasty car when it's single (F) digits.

http://1revorg.org/mini.html

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. chrunck

I haven't used the departure settings personally. I just usually get out my phone while I'm brushing my teeth or putting on my shoes or whatever and tell it to start. I can't predict what time I'm going to be leaving every day, but I know when I'm about 5 minutes out.

9. chrunck

Haha, this made me laugh.