Ioniq 5 or ID4

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by miatadan, Dec 25, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

Since now, no longer have Tesla Model 3 on order, down to these 2 choices due to both being RWD EV platform and both start at under $45,000 Canadian.

What concerns me about the Ioniq 5 :

1. Will it share the common Kona EV issues such as motor noise issues, reduction gear issues and the battery issues.
    2. already these threads posted
    - Noisy motor AWD Ioniq 5
    - Ionic 5 BMS
    - Hyundai Ioniq 5 recall on The Horizon due to Coolant leaks
    - Petition for preheating the battery

Is there a way to remove Hyundai logo's and just leave Ioniq 5

Ioniq looks more futuristic ( both interior, exterior ) than the ID4

Hyundai dealer is local but limited number of dealers for ID4 in Ontario which not in Sudbury

Victoria Hang Tran likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Well, in theory the E-GMP platform is new and the Kona and Niro shouldn't really share any issues since they are pre-e-gmp. But I wouldn't bet on it either.

However my experience with Hyundai and my Kona (battery recall affected) was completely flawless so I am not complaining.

4. Which dealership is most helpful? Both cars are excellent, but which has actual tech support if you have a problem?

None of my previous VW vehicles (including an A8L) were what I would call reliable - so I would only consider a VW from a dealer with dedicated, trained EV staff.

5. Well the motor, reduction gearbox and battery are all different beasts compared to the the Kona. Not to say they can't have problems but if they do they will be different.

As far as I know the coolant leak recall only involved very early Korean/Euro market cars and the problem has been resolved.

Preheating the battery to avoid cold gating at DC chargers is common to many EVs. Tesla, Polestar, Taycan I believe have some degree of preheating when you plot to navigation identified DC chargers, there may be others. If you do a lot of highway travelling and rely on DC chargers in the winter look at the alternative EVs otherwise its a relatively insignificant problem. There seems to be some acknowledgement From Hyundai on specific northern Euro forums that this may be a retrograde change. This is not just a simple software upgrade you would need an existing battery heater possibly heat pump option. Overall I wouldn't hold hold my breath on that one.

Hard to say what the significance or nature of the front AWD motor noise is at this point as its mostly been identified in limited European forums with not much more details. Needless to say if your getting a RWD model this problem should not keep you up at night.

My biggest concern is their plethora dying 12V batteries problems. They fixed this is in the Kona. I am surprised they did not apply lessons learned to the Ioniq 5. Should be an otherwise easy software fix assuming the your 12V battery isn't ruined before that happens.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Not to mention Volkwagen's dedication to maintaining drivers' view of their surroundings--the ID.4 includes a rear wiper.

Tony S likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I have to admit the lack of a rear screen wiper in any climate that has snow is quite annoying but I don't think it would be a deal killer and certainly not enough to sway me to an ID 4.

9. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I drove an ID4 and wasn't overly impressed. It was the RWD version. I couldn't get the lane keeping to work, and I was not impressed with the fact that you can only have regen on or off, no adjustments. It defaults to off. The shifter is in a weird place too. The AWD verision may be a lot better in performance.

10. I was in at the dealer today for a gearbox oil change, and they had to Ioniq 5s there. Looked impressive, even more so than in pics. Service guy said they are demos only for test drives, but they have also delivered several to customers.

If I didn't have the Kona and looking for a new EV, this would be tops on my list.

11. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Neither Hyundai nor VW have steller reputations for reliability. One of the main reasons I went to EVs was because I thought they would be more reliable since they are simpler. They are simpler, but it does seem like they have more electrical problems than their ICE counterparts.

Good luck with your decision, they both seem like nice cars.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Most of the actual (and potential) problems with the Kona are from a brief production period at the battery supplier, LG Chem.

Because these are effectively Beta test beds for the product line we're seeing real World results. The number of straight up electrical system failures are few.

14. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

I ended up ordering 2022 Mustang Mach-E Select RWD.

15. amigajoe

amigajoe New Member

I think the id4 is the best looking EV by far, but that’s just opinion.

Drove both last week for the first time. In comparison to the hyundai, The infotainment in the id4 felt like it was pulled out of a 4yo car ! That’s a deal breaker for me.

Only real advantage of the id4 right now is that they can be had for little or no markup, it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Tony S likes this.
  16. Daniel Achatz

Daniel Achatz New Member

Funny, I’m Dan and I have had 2 Miata’s. I just canceled my Mach E order and bought an Ioniq 5 limited edition. I had my Mach E on order for 30 weeks, and it was actually built, then Ford put it on chip hold and predicted that it would be another 3 months before I got it. I don’t really believe that Ford has its act together right now. I have been feeling for a while that the Ioniq 5 might be the better car based on all the Forums. Ford helped me make the switch by pushing me out 3 more months so they could put more chips in the F150.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

17. ke4d

ke4d New Member

Just dumped my reservation for a Ford Lightning since they are not selling the cheaper version to normal buyers. Likely the same issue with the E Silverado so last week we looked at the ID4 and Ioniq5, stepping away from a truck altogether. Didn't test drive either but our local Hyundai and VW dealers are side by side so it was a fun outing. Still haven't perused the KIA but maybe this week. Currently driving an 18 Volt and looking to go straight BEV in the next year or so. Haven't looked closely at the Mach E since it appears orders for them are far out in the future. Our local Hyundai dealer had 12 Ioniqs on the lot last week. Live in FL so don't need AWD, heat pumps etc. Cloth seats, no glass roof and RWD are fine by me!

Bill Carter likes this.
  18. buss69

buss69 New Member

So in answer to the OP's title Ioniq 5 or iD-4 i'd say the Hyundai all day long.
    My experience of Hyundai has been 3 1/2 years with the original ioniq electric which was my first EV, which I leased. It was fantastic, build quality was superb and it never let me down, EVER!
    My next EV was the VW id-3, which I also leased but for just 6 months. When I first got it, the software was configured for a LHD, I live in the UK! The windscreen wiper was also setup for a LHD. During my ownership the car went back to the dealer every month for the first 4 months with software issues and updates. After that I gave up and got rid of it. The list of faults on the car I had was very long and became intolerable the worst being the lane keeping assist. Not quite sure what was wrong but as a safety feature it was plain awful and downright dangerous, not once did it ever stop the car leaving the lane. The adaptive cruise control wasn't a great deal better either, often leaving braking far too late.
    Considering the tech in the Hyundai was at least 5+ years old when I got the VW I expected a quantum leap in technology but alas it wasn't. The VW was beautifully engineered (mostly) and the software atrocious. The Hyundai was brilliant from start to end.
    Now the VW has gone I've driven the ioniq 5, the Kia EV6 and the Tesla Model 3 (long range). I love them all and have drawn these brief conclusions.
    ioniq 5 - great looks, comfortable ride and huge interior. If there was a down-side I'd say it feels almost too big.
    Kia EV6 - Again, great styling, feels very premium inside but not as big as the ioniq 5. Strangely it feels smaller than the ioniq outside, which is weird because it's actually longer. The handling on the EV6 is definitely more sporty.
    Tesla Model 3 (long range) - The best range of the bunch. Pretty good software but also everything controlled via the screen which I found annoying. Concerns over build quality are putting me off but also the group 50 insurance!
    In summary, I'm leaning towards the Kia.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2022
  19. We finally got to drive the ID4 AWD last week, were underwhelmed compared to the I5 and cancelled the order for the ID4. Even though the ID4 was set to be delivered in a few days it just didn't measure up for us. The dealer said he hadn't heard anyone call the car "underwhelming" but I think most of his buyers are probably coming from ICE vehicles.
    We have re-ordered the I5 and the dealer said that "July-August production, October - November delivery" so we'll see if he actually knows anything. The 2023 version is supposedly coming with a rear view camera to mitigate not having a wiper.
    Back to the ID4, when we first sat in the car there was no feeling of "I want one" like we had with the I5 test drive The big plus for the ID4 is that the AWD does have 8" of ground clearance and a rear wiper but otherwise it's just ok. I found the pod to be small and hard for my older eyes to focus, the lane keeping comes back on by default even going from D to N to D, piano black is annoying to try and keep clean, no HUD, the regen is not as strong and doesn't have the adjustability of the KONA. There was also an issue with getting out of the car, the distance between the bolster and the door sill meant that shorter legs are having to "climb/slide" over the bolster to get out past the door sill. We didn't find the ride as smooth or quiet compared to the I5.
    Bottom line, it will be the I5 for us unless the Ariya blows everything out of the water.

20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Will the rear camera have a wiper? Will the Ariya ever arrive?

21. Three specs on the Ariya:
    Base model is FWD.
    7.2 kW L2 charge rate.
    130 kW L3 charge rate.

Toyota BZ4X
    Base model is FWD.
    6.6 kW L2 charge rate.
    150 kW L3 charge rate.

22. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC