Battery Pre-Heating Question

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by NorthernLights, Dec 2, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Is battery pre-heating in cold weather something I have to activate, or does it happen automatically when the Niro senses it is cold? I can't find anything in the owner's manual about it, which seems odd, although that manual surely isn't the best I've ever seen.

If it is something I have to "do" or turn on, please let me know how to do it.
    Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert Besen

Robert Besen Member

Page 1-12 of the manual mentions something called Winter Mode, which looks to be optional and sounds like what you're looking for. Probably part of the cold weather package so you may or may not have it. If equipped, you turn it on or off from the EV screen. Hope this helps.

4. Thanks for the reply Robert. I see that section in the manual now, I had missed it. The manual doesn't really explain it very well. From reading other car owners (of different ev models) explain "pre-conditioning" their batteries, it is something they do during charging and then turn off. I can't tell for sure if, when you check the box for "Winter Mode", the battery heater operates until you un-check the box, or if it knows to use it only when it is needed. Using it cuts into the range available.

5. Robert Besen

Robert Besen Member

6. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Good info. Printed it out for my glove box/reference

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Thanks for posting that link Robert Besen. My take-away is to leave Winter Mode off unless I plan to stop at a fast charger. In that case turn on Winter Mode 30 - 45 minutes before I stop to charge.