Will politicizing EVs with Union label suppress sales?

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Nov 21, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

The Biden Administration is going hammer and tongs to label 'union made EVs' as the wave of the future. Not just the $4,500 extra tax credit but aggressively ignoring non-union (aka., Tesla) EV makers. From an economic standpoint, EVs are about 1/2 to 1/4 th the cost per mile to operate. But we also know there are 'owning the libs' buyers who are easily offended, Are they a significant EV market?

I prefer technology be independent of political orientation. Efficiency, fighting the Second Law, is what motivates me. Just seeing others take political umbrage at ordinary technical, chemical, or biological processes is intellectually dishonest and self-defeating. For example, getting a COVID-19 vaccination or rather the refusal along with insistence on ineffective treatments.

So one side of me takes schadenfreude that some political 'buyers' won't be in the market for efficient EVs. But I also realize they can become trolls like the Prius skeptics.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Taxation is a legislative implement to supress what a government doesn't want in the marketplace while encouraging what it does want.

The Japanese successfully built their Auto industry with similar measures. I fail to see how encouraging Union labor to produce something for domestic consumption is a poor choice.

The critics of The Biden administration will slag anything it accomplishes, regardless who may benefit.

4. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

This falls under the 'not what I would do' but I don't have big problem with it

5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I think the Democrats need the union vote, and the Republicans won't support anything in this legislation anyhow. So why not?

IanH likes this.
  6. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Absolutely!

Wyoming is going to pick up about $3,000 per person in infrastructure spending on just the Gate's nuclear power plant alone, but I suspect you won't find many Republicans in Wyoming who supported the bill.

IanH likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Just another example of buying votes and rewarding their supporters. And with taxpayers money. Happens all the time. Not good when it pits people against each other, though. But it does fit the "equity" model.

9. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

I can't fathom the perversity involved in opposing a small measure to support workers organizing to protect their rights.

IanH and Jim Matthews like this.
  10. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

The $4,500 for union made cars is pure corruption to support political allies. Unions are unnecessary and they just launder money for the democrats anyways. The idea that unions exist to protect workers rights is incorrect.

11. Bruce M.

Ad a former union member (in a previous part of my career), I can certify that SouthernDude's comment is absolute, utter bull. Unions created the American middle class and the erosion of unions since Reagan has largely destroyed it.

IanH and briloop like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

lol. That is BS. Unions didn't not create the middle class nor did the destruction of the middle class have anything to do with unions not being present.

14. This forum offers an IGNORE function attached to each user's name, under their Avatar. If you are tired of endless repetition of OANN/Fox ignoring *that user* will remove 90% of it from your feed.

briloop, Bruce M. and bwilson4web like this.
  15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I liken it to CB radio squelch. It improves the signal-to-noise ratio.

Bob Wilson

Bruce M. likes this.
  16. Bruce M.

Thanks for the reminder. SouthernDude is now on ignore and I have no doubt my life will improve as a result.

briloop and bwilson4web like this.
  17. briloop

briloop Member

Unions contributed to the rise of the American middle class, but were not the sole creators of the American middle class. There were other factors and events in the post-World War II era that also led to the rise of the middle class. One example: the GI Bill.

The erosion of unions contributed to the fall of the middle class, but there have been other factors and events. One example: NAFTA.

18. Ross Perot was right.